No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the FO can do nothing about a platoon partner for Bour after watching Chris Johnson stink up the place all last year in that role is beyond me.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      A couple of tidbits from MLBTR:

Trading Urena would open up a spot.
      The 2 options for DFA right now are Hood and Despaigne if we need spots. Urena will likely be around thru ST(just in case a spot opens up for him) then at the end of ST we will have a decision to trade him or lose him like Brad Hand. Minnesota/Cincy/SD are already drooling over him. Would be nice for the FO to do a little work and get something of value for him instead of the usual DFA and whoever wants him can have him

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      I look forward to being at .500 in August and having to trade Braxton Garrett for a righty 1B to play for 6 weeks and then lose to free agency
      Maybe Tyler Kolek will learn how to throw strikes and teams will request him instead but u are probably right. Garrett will look great in Greensboro and we will deal him for some power bat to replace the Big Hurt in the lineup

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        How the FO can do nothing about a platoon partner for Bour after watching Chris Johnson stink up the place all last year in that role is beyond me.
        Especially considering how Bour (along with half the rest of the lineup) went down with an injury, further magnifying how bad Johnson was/the lack of depth we have....year after year.

Comment

• member Don Kelly?

I member.

Comment

• Like Mk7 said the FO will realize in July when we are 3 games above 500 that we need a power bat and u will see us trade Peters,Kolek or something for some rental that the other team is paying for

OR

Late May we call a team and offer draft pick(draft cash) and IFA cash for a guy. Alot of the rebuilding teams would have no problem trading a pending FA for the ability to sign IFA guys for the future

ALL IN for next 2 years
            Last edited by tjfla; 01-27-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Stuck the landing.

Comment

• Major League Baseball has concluded its investigation into the Cardinals’ illegal accessing of the Astros’ proprietary database, ruling that St. Louis will have to send two draft picks to the Astros and pay a $2MM fine as punishment. ESPN’s Buster Olney tweets that the Cardinals will lose their top two picks, Nos. 56 and 75 overall, as punishment

Ouch,St Louis has NO picks in the first 2 Rds(Lost 3 picks) They will be looking to get IFA cash and picks in the draft to get the pool money now. Jeff must be so jealous,No picks in the first 2 Rds would save him like 6 million dollars
                Last edited by tjfla; 01-30-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• FYI

Looks like u can start trading IFA pool money already. Cubs just got Eddie Butler for a prospect and $250K in pool money

Comment

• The Rockies re-signed Mark Reynolds.

Comment

• Rosenthal had an interesting article on the Cashner/Rae trade last season:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...senthal-020217

There's more detail at the link, but the short version is:
                      -MLB said Miami could rescind the entire deal, which would've meant we'd have gotten back Cosart, Capps, Castillo, and Naylor, with the Padres getting back Cashner, Rae and Tayron Guerrero.
                      -Had they nixed the deal, the Marlins had agreed to send Naylor to the Phillies one for one, and had planned on trading Castillo for another controllable arm before the deadline.
                      -Marlins thought it'd be complicated to undo the whole deal since Cashner had already pitched for them, so only part of it was undone.
                      -Hellickson wasn't moved at the deadline because he was coming here, but didn't once the Marlins didn't undo the whole Padres deal.

I for one wish we would've undone the entire deal....it'd be nice to still have Capps (or use him+ or some other combo of what we had) to get someone better this offseason.....and as we know, Cashner was a disaster.

Comment

• To make sure I'm understanding your post correctly...

We could have done Naylor for Hellciskon, strait up, and kept Cosart and Capps.
                        Or we could do Naylor, Cosart, and Capps for Cashner and Guerrero

And we choose the later, where we give up more for a worse pitcher, because it would have been 'complicated' to do the better deal.

I'm not surprised, I'm just further disappointed

Comment

• Yup that's exactly what they did.

Comment

• WIsh the marlins would have gotten in on Desmond Jennings or Coghlan as buy low candidates for 4/5 OF jobs.

Comment

• Ed Lucas is back kinda

https://mobile.twitter.com/timbheale...49562943381509
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                                Rosenthal had an interesting article on the Cashner/Rae trade last season:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...senthal-020217

There's more detail at the link, but the short version is:
                                -MLB said Miami could rescind the entire deal, which would've meant we'd have gotten back Cosart, Capps, Castillo, and Naylor, with the Padres getting back Cashner, Rae and Tayron Guerrero.
                                -Had they nixed the deal, the Marlins had agreed to send Naylor to the Phillies one for one, and had planned on trading Castillo for another controllable arm before the deadline.
                                -Marlins thought it'd be complicated to undo the whole deal since Cashner had already pitched for them, so only part of it was undone.
                                -Hellickson wasn't moved at the deadline because he was coming here, but didn't once the Marlins didn't undo the whole Padres deal.

I for one wish we would've undone the entire deal....it'd be nice to still have Capps (or use him+ or some other combo of what we had) to get someone better this offseason.....and as we know, Cashner was a disaster.
                                To add onto the last part-Hellickson was STILL coming here for Castillo and a low level prospect however we balked at the end because they wanted to trade Castillo for a "controllable" arm NOT a rental which he would have been. In the end they got a controllable arm in Straily for him

Comment

Working...
                                X