No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing what a farm system can do for u. Boston traded tons of prospects today and still have great system

Something to watch for as the day goes on if u see CWS send Abreu or Frazier out don't be surprised if we take a shot at David Robertson

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Some reports are Hammel might be looking for longer than 2
      I didn't realize that.

---

What would we have to trade for Robertson?

And furthermore, would that be in addition to signing Jensen (if that happens), or a sort of Plan B to that?

Comment

• After looking into it, I'd rather either stay with the status quo at closer or sign one. Trading for one doesnt seem to make much sense to me considering we already have 2 guys at least in the bullpen who would be good closers, and having a good closer to begin with isnt a huge deal, esepcially with all the other holes in this roster. Trading prospects/players for a closer seems like a pretty bad use of resources.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          I didn't realize that.

---

What would we have to trade for Robertson?

And furthermore, would that be in addition to signing Jensen (if that happens), or a sort of Plan B to that?
          Plan B.

The Plan A,Plan 2A and 3A are all Jansen BUT if they can get Robertson or Wade Davis cheap for say DD and prospects/young arms they would have interest. Wittgren,Bearclaw and Ellington all have closer stuff and some teams see that. If u are gonna rebuild(White Sox may)would u rather have a 11 million dollar a year guy closing games on a 60 win season OR say DD(DH/1B/2B) and Wittgren(closer) who cost 1 million? KC is in the same boat-they have 7 FA's next year and need to cut cash

Jeff is the only one who wants Chapman more than Jansen-the rest of the FO would rather get Jansen and spend the extra cash on a vet arm(10 million or so),AJ Ellis(Mattingly wants him) and a bat(UT guys market is set with Rodriguez and Pearce deals-6 mil)
          He might have to settle for 2 years and thats what we have discussed with him BUT sounds like he wants longer
          Last edited by tjfla; 12-06-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• not really sure why we'd do this

The Miami Marlins have their sights set on adding one of either Aroldis Chapman or Kenley Jansen this offseason, with Jansen as their top option. However, if they are unable to sign one of those free-agent closers, two other options are on their radar.

The Marlins are considering veteran relievers Brad Ziegler and Koji Uehara, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports. Both Ziegler and Uehara ended the 2016 season with the Boston Red Sox and have closer experience.

Ziegler, 37, began this past season as the Arizona Diamondbacks' closer before being traded to the Red Sox, where he only saved games when Craig Kimbrel was injured. The right-hander posted a 2.25 ERA and 22 saves in 69 games between the two clubs.

Meanwhile, Uehara was the Red Sox's closer from 2013-15 until they acquired Kimbrel. The 41-year-old Uehara had a 3.45 ERA in 50 games last season, with 63 strikeouts in 47 innings.

Frisaro opines that the Marlins could conceivably sign both Ziegler and Uehara if they miss out on Chapman and Jansen.
            http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors/...er-koji-uehara
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Ziegler has been really good his entire career. Please give me him. Uehara is pretty good in his own right.

Price matters over everything, but I'd rather sign the Ziegler/Uehara combo and potentially save some cash for starting pitching than go all in on Chapman or Jansen long term. Ziegler/Uehara would involve no long term commitment (I mean they're 37 and 41 years old respectively) and they'd definitely help build a 'super bullpen'.

Imagine Ziegler, Uehara, Ramos, Barraclough, Wittgren, and Phelps together in the bullpen. That would be great.

- - - - - - - - - -

If that bullpen was together last season, they would've put up a combined 2.72 ERA over 390 IP.

The best bullpen in baseball in 2016 was the Dodgers with 3.35 ERA. Add in a few variables and poor pitching performances and the Marlins would still end up with one of the top 2 or 3 bullpens in baseball.

I'm surprised Ziegler/Uehara is option #2. All things considered that should be #1. It is a far better option.

- - - - - - - - - -

According to MLB Trade Rumors, the predicted contract that Brad Ziegler would get is 2 years, $16 million, and Uehara is likely in the range of a 1 or 2 year deal at an AAV of $7 million or so.

Overall that is $50 million or $60 million less than it would cost to get Jansen. We'd be getting two solid relievers with closer experience rather than one, and Brad Ziegler ALONE was worth nearly as much as Kenley Jansen for the Dodgers. He had a stretch of 20!!!! straight appearances at the end of this season without allowing an earned run.

I truly hope the Marlins strike out on both Chapman and Jansen and have to go with their backup option here. It'll save our first round pick and I think it balances the bullpen much better.
              Last edited by dim; 12-06-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• They want Jansen and a Fister/Hammel however they also have been looking at something like Jansen,Uehara/Ziegler and a Jeff Locke/Norris/Niese/Vogelsong which is where some of the rumors came from.

Our first round pick means NOTHING really and if Jeff wants to spend the money for Jansen I won't complain

Chen,Volquez,Conley,Koehler,?

Ramos,Phelps,Bearclaw,Wittgren,Ellington,Cervenka
                Last edited by tjfla; 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Yankees offered contracts to Chapman and Jansen

Comment

• [tweet]806306233846267905[/tweet]

Comment

• Dont remember seeing it posted here, but one of our reporters said yesterday that Mike Dunn is unlikely to re-sign with us. (thank god).

Comment

• No surprise on Wade Davis. Talk is Soler is in deal

They talked to us about Ozuna in a deal but we are not really interested in even talking about him which is why u see teams like St Louis,Oakland,Texas looking at Fowler,Dyson,Hamilton

The deal we talked to with KC was pretty crazy from what I heard but we passed due to the fact most of the guys we would have got were FA and would have cost another 50 million for a bat

Danny Duffy,Dyson,Wade Davis. Ozuna. Not very serious-more or less us doing homework and seeing what it would take
                        Last edited by tjfla; 12-06-2016, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Who do u want??

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...745328501110-4

Jeff is selling 2 or 3 paintings and has signed off.

Either Miami or NYY offered Chapman 5/92. Ill take him for the extra 10 million. Use the other 8 million on Ziegler or Uehara and let the starters go 5 innings

Also Francisco Rodney to Arizona
                          Last edited by tjfla; 12-06-2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• It's funny that signing Hammel, Fister, Uehara, and Ziegler combined would likely cost less than signing either Chapman or Jensen and would improve the team far more. But they wouldn't be as big of names so people wouldn't care as much.

Comment

• Aroldis Chapman on the baseball team I root for disgusts me and I will never cheer for him. Hope he blows every save opportunity

Comment

• Heyman just tweeted the $92m isn't us though, thank god.

Comment

Working...
                                X