No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Heyman saying Miami is intent on getting one of the top 3 closers on the market.

http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/heym...-three-closer/

Comment

• It's not a terrible idea to build a super bullpen if you're anticipating a mediocre to poor starting rotation. It's an interesting strategy.

That said I still don't like committing $10 million+ a year for many years to a closer. The value for them is inflated this offseason.

Comment

• Marlins supposedly intent on landing one of Chapman, Melancon, or Jansen. Melancon to me would be the best fit because he would cost the least out of all 3, but something about his stats from the last 4 years scare me in that he is striking out only around 9/9 IP, which is good, but something about that as a 31 year old closer would scare me for a 4 year deal.

Like I said before, I'm all about signing Chapman to a top closer deal and making him a starter. Would take a year and he would be limited in year 1, but he is obviously ace potential and there is nothing in our farm system close or in free agency where we could get that kind of impact. He used to be a starter in Cuba, and I dont think there is any doubt his stuff would still translate in the rotation. But we would never do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
          Jon Heyman saying Miami is intent on getting one of the top 3 closers on the market.

http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/heym...-three-closer/

No secret. No #1/#2 Starters out there so get a closer and move Ramos back to Setup

Problem is Melancon wants 4/60 and the other 2 want 90-100 million

Another option I heard is a trade with KC. Wade Davis and Dyson for prospects/young ML guys(We actually have a few AAA/young guys that teams like) Thing with KC is they are looking to lose salary so we might be able to get them cheaper than normal

Winter Meetings start so should be interesting few days for us.
          Last edited by tjfla; 12-04-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• No way we have the prospects for Wade Davis let alone him and Dyson.

4/60 isn't bad for Melancon. Successful closer for four years now (5 of 6) and it's not crazy to see him being successful to age 35. That said it's the type of a deal that a big market team can be able to make. Marlins on Loria's budget and future contracts getting bloated cannot afford to put $15 million a year into a mid 30s closer.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
              No way we have the prospects for Wade Davis let alone him and Dyson.

4/60 isn't bad for Melancon. Successful closer for four years now (5 of 6) and it's not crazy to see him being successful to age 35. That said it's the type of a deal that a big market team can be able to make. Marlins on Loria's budget and future contracts getting bloated cannot afford to put $15 million a year into a mid 30s closer.
              THe KC trade talk has to do with $$. I agree tho we don't have the prospects,I should have said we are about 4/5 teams they are talking to regarding both of them. KC isn't talking just to us

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                No way we have the prospects for Wade Davis let alone him and Dyson.

That would be the case...unless Loria is willing to spend now since he won't be paying the salaries in a year...

Comment

• Why on earth would we trade anything of value to acquire a closer? Signing a closer is one thing (and i dont necessarily know if that is even a good move), but trading limited assets for something that isnt a gaping hole?

Comment

• But a low 700 OPS in the majors is quite optimistic, and he'd be one of if not the worst defensive catchers. And there's now an objective understanding of just how important catcher defense is.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                      But a low 700 OPS in the majors is quite optimistic, and he'd be one of if not the worst defensive catchers. And there's now an objective understanding of just how important catcher defense is.
                      Who's this about?

Comment

• [tweet]805631926207938560[/tweet]

Comment

• Giving up the #14 draft pick to get Jansen is incomprehensible.

The team has the worst or second worst farm system in baseball. It's between us and the Angels and it's not debatable in the least. Within the past few years, the Marlins have acquired some of their best players in the first round, including Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez, and Andrew Heaney. Yes, there have been some bad first round picks made lately by the front office, but it is one of the few spots where it is expected to get a young, potential major league player.

The Marlins are not a Kenley Jansen signing from being a playoff team. They won't be in 2018 or 2019 or 2020 or 2021 either.

Jansen is good. He is pretty great actually. But even at his best, Jansen is worth just 3 or so wins a season. In terms of WAR, he was as valuable as Marcell Ozuna.

The question becomes what actually is the value of a first rounder. I think a few years ago they did a study that said 60% of 1st round draft picks in the MLB become eventual major leaguers.

If this was a last case and the final piece of a playoff puzzle I'd be full force. It's strange that I think the front office has higher expectations for this upcoming team than I do. They know the starting rotation is a mess, but I think they see the offense as complete. I'm not so sure about that. I don't think a closer makes up for major holes in a starting rotation and it's not worth investing $80 million in a reliever who will pitch 70 of a total 1460 innings in a season. That isn't turning a likely mid to high 70s win team into a playoff squad and isn't worth sacrificing an important draft pick for. If that pick turns into Chad James or Tyler Kolek so be it but I'd hate to see the team just give it away.

Comment

• Fuck it, let's get weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                              Fuck it, let's get weird.
                              Absolutely. They're only going after a premier reliever because the starting pitching options are weak and this is the season they need to compete.

Comment

• In addition to the Jansen reports, Frisaro is still reporting we're looking to make a "strong push" for Chapman, and we're also rumored to be the mystery team that has offered at least 4/$60 for Melancon, according to Jon Heyman.

Comment

Working...
                                X