No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It appears we are cheap/content to bring back just about the same team, minus jose fernandez, and again have a season ruined despite OK talent because of a lack of depth. Rinse. Repear.

Comment

• Seattle sure is busy! Seattle will pick up outfielder Mallex Smith and righty Shae Simmons from Atlanta for lefties Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows.

They flipped Mallex Smith (and are including infielder Carlos Vargas and lefty Ryan Yarbrough) to Tampa for Drew Smyly.

Comment

• Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 15s15 seconds ago
        Kenley Jansen said he was "50-50" between #Dodgers and #Nationals before his wedding.
        We offer the most money.... don't even make it to the finalists. And with good reason not being a homer.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          It appears we are cheap/content to bring back just about the same team, minus jose fernandez, and again have a season ruined despite OK talent because of a lack of depth. Rinse. Repear.
          I hate to say this, but the Marlins did close to the best they could in a weak free agent market. The only major differences I would've personally made would've been to sell high on Ozuna/Ramos and likely sign a different arrangement of the same type of starting pitchers that we brought in.

Jose was a 6 to 7 win player. That never was getting replaced this offseason. I do believe some risk taking and making some moves that might've proven controversial could potentially have turned this team into a playoff contender, but I don't personally blame the team for playing the safe route (this not including those offers to Jansen/Chapman). The Marlins front office has to know that this is an under .500 team on paper. I think the biggest issue is that they believe the offense to be better than it is. They know the starting rotation is close to a lost cause. The real reality check will come when the offense doesn't produce like they thought.

There's a lot of good hitters with potential in the lineup, but the balance is all wrong. Too many similar type players (high contact rates, low on base ability, below average power). I see every guy in our starting lineup (sans Hech) as a guy who should and could start on most teams, but together it just isn't right.
          Last edited by dim; 01-11-2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• I think it all revolves around Stanton if he's the 1.000 OPS guy we all think he can be, our offense will be good. If he's the guy we got last year or just the guy who can't get on the field our offense is going to struggle.

Comment

• Dim, what moves/risk taking were you talking about/proposing?

Comment

• The biggest ones i mentioned involved trading ramos and ozuna to get a #2 or high 3 SP plus a prospect. That would've also meant finding a new outfielder on the free agent market which would've involved more offseason moves.

Basically they tried to add the small pieces available in free agency, when the real change involves trading established, current high value players and needing to replace them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  Well lucky Jose and Fernandez are NOT common spanish names-I would hate to miss out on talent because it might be weird
                  He said it'd be weird. He didn't say they shouldn't sign him, you mook.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                    The biggest ones i mentioned involved trading ramos and ozuna to get a #2 or high 3 SP plus a prospect. That would've also meant finding a new outfielder on the free agent market which would've involved more offseason moves.

Basically they tried to add the small pieces available in free agency, when the real change involves trading established, current high value players and needing to replace them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
                    Yeah, my offseason plan included trading Ozuna+ for a pitcher as well (and as you said also signing a replacement via free agency).

Comment

• Maybe the idea is to play JT at 1B or other spots more? They have 4 major league level catchers now even tho Ellis,Cabrera and Telis are backups

They signed C Ramon Cabrera to a minor league deal. Nothing great but was Cincy Backup C LY

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2016/ALL
                      Last edited by tjfla; 01-12-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• He called him a mook, guys.

Comment

• Righties A.J. Ramos and Tom Koehler get $6.55MM and $5.75MM shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria receives $4.35MM; center fielder Marcell Ozuna gets $3.5MM; and infielder Derek Dietrich lands at $1.7MM.

The Mook
                          Last edited by tjfla; 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• I find it amusing Hech gets more than Ozuna.

Comment

• Hech has one more YOS and also signed a major league contract to begin his career so he was starting from a higher number.
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Edinson Volquez's brother was stabbed and killed.

Comment

Working...
                                X