Marlins Extend Martin Prado, 3y/$40m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transacion: Marlins Extend Martin Prado, 3y/$40m

The Marlins and third baseman Martin Prado have reached agreement on a three-year contract extension, multiple sources said.

The deal will pay Prado $40 million through 2019.

Prado, 32, was eligible for free agency after this season.

The 11-year major league veteran has hit .305 this season for the Marlins.

The Marlins acquired Prado and pitcher David Phelps in a 2014 deal with the Yankees in which they gave up Nathan Eovaldi, Garrett Jones and Domingo German.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...104417536.html

Marlins Extend Martin Prado - 3-years, $40million Deal

Per MLBTR and Clark Spencer, the Marlins have extended Martin Prado on a 3-year, $40 million deal.

- - - - - - - - - -

You just beat me to it, mods can close my thread.

I'm surprised at the 3 years, but I don't mind having him around. He's produced well for us. I am concerned that it may be a precursor to an offseason Dietrich trade for pitching though, especially with the loss of Jose.

Comment

Good, he deserves it.

Comment

They pretty much have to trade Dietrich now.

Comment

Ummm... Love Prado and he's had a great year, but 3 years, 40 million is kind of a lot. Just saw that he is 32, thought he was older, but still a lot. I hate to ask this question because it is entirely too soon, but did the Jose thing and the fact that we dont have to try to pay him long term free up more money for Prado and others in the near future? I feel gross having written that, but I think it's a legitimate question.

- - - - - - - - - -

And ya, I think Dietrich is gone. I would say Dee possibly for pitching also but I think they like him as a person. I would also trade Hech for a starter to a desperate team.

Comment

There's no way this got done in 2 days, so no.

Comment

you don't know if the offer was improved in the last 2 days either. but ya, you are probably right. Looking at Prado's numbers its actually a fairly good deal given the state of our farm system and the 3b position in general in MLB today.

Comment

Yeah as much as I'll hate to see him go. You have to trade Dietrich for some kind of pitching that's not Andrew Cashner and Fernando Rodney.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                  They pretty much have to trade Dietrich now.
                  They don't have to. There are other options. One crazy option would be to remove themselves from perennial bottom 3 payroll dwellers to a top 15 payroll team.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm also torn about the timing of this announcement.

One part of me is like "this is awesome because Prada is a fan favorite and he's good and Marlins fans need good news" and the other part of me is like "this could have waited until Monday".

- - - - - - - - - -

It's also very possible that in light of this weekends evnts, Prado told his agent to get the contact done so all doubt is cast and he can just get on with being a team player etc.....

Comment

My personal take is that I think Prado wanted 4 years and both sides were stuck at 3/40 for a bit, but the Jose situation made Prado want to stay in Miami enough to take the deal (when he would likely receive 4 years on the open market). Plus $13 million a year is on par with what he was expected to me.

We had no contingency plan for Prado, so it's great to have him signed. Team definitely needs him next year and beyond.

Comment

My guess is on the latter thing Namaste said. He's the clubhouse leader of this team. He wants to be here. Depending on the structure 3/40 might be rough on the back end, but 3B is a desolate position.

I've always liked Dietrich and would prefer to keep him but you don't keep a Dietrich as a bench player if you need pitching and have a lowish payroll. And, even if they spent money (which should be noted, they kinda did with Chen) FA contracts to starting pitchers are insane and they're the type of contracts we'd complain about.

So yeah, trade Dietrich and maybe even Hech, get back a few pitchers. Maybe they're able to extend Koehler too - who knows. But this is a nice move even if the last year is rough, we have no one in the pipeline and it's a dreadful position leaguewide.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        They don't have to. There are other options. One crazy option would be to remove themselves from perennial bottom 3 payroll dwellers to a top 15 payroll team.
                        The problem is, last year was the year to spend on pitching...granted we did sign Chen, but it wasn't enough then, and we're unfortunately in worse shape pitching wise now obviously. There's not much on the FA market this year (I'll try to look it up later of who the top guys are....Hellickson and Cashner are the two I know of off the top of my head).

Comment

I really can't think of a single FA pitcher who I've felt like "yeah, we should have matched/beaten that contract" about over the last 5 years. FA SP contracts are insane even if you're a big budget team. Would we have been happy with Greinke's contract even without payroll constraints?

We need to acquire and develop young pitching. This begins in the draft but it also extends to trading for young controllable pitchers where they're available, and buying out pitchers when the time is right.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yeah the fiscal strategy of choosing money over prospects when making trades has hurt us way more than not bringing in Free Agents. Coupled with the lack of IFA spending, and poor drafting is why the organization is in the spot it's in. It's frustrating because for the first time in almost the history of the franchise we're actually holding on to players. (Stanton, Yelich, Gordon and now Prado) There's just absolutely nothing waiting in the wings to come help these guys.

Comment

1 year too long BUT this is a deal that had to get done. I know they had been discussing a 2 yr deal with him

Win for everyone tho. Prado gets paid,Marlins have a 3B and a leader for atleast the next 2 and half years and looks like after a terrible Sunday that Loria is gonna keep this team together.

Before the death this team was likely gonna be totally different after 2017 however who knows anymore. Nice to see Jeff spending cash and hopefully it continues. We have been in the bottom 3 of MLB spending for years

Just so people know the plan was to shop Jose to NYY(prospects) and Boston(Moncada) maybe this offseason but more likely after 2017 which was the reason they were talking 2 year only with Prado however like fish16 mentioned NO disrespect but that plan went out the door
                              Last edited by tjfla; 09-27-2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X