No announcement yet.

Marlins Extend Martin Prado, 3y/$40m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a good deal. He's probably top half 3B. Don't know how the team moves forward. Who cares. Keep these guys around.

Comment

Rotation wise I'd like to have Conley and Chen in. If we have to I don't mind Phelps being there, but he's better served in the 8th inning. Koehler I think should be part of a trade package.

Logically speaking, I think we still need three starting pitchers. Despite the number of runs scored this season (very low), I think the lineup can be kept the same (hoping for repeat performances from Prado, Dietrich, Bour, and Realmuto with improvements from Gordon and Stanton). Despite some concerns, the lineup is good enough to be a playoff lineup with an average starting rotation. Problem is we don't have that. We are far below average now in that regard.

This is where the Marlins have to be shrewd in their dealings. They have very little trade pieces and an emotional fan base that will want the core to remain the same. They'll want significant addition without subtraction. The biggest trade piece the Marlins have to acquire a starting pitcher is Marcell Ozuna, but that would leave a sizable gap in the outfield (unless you anticipate Ichiro to play like he did the first half this year).

In terms of realistic players we have available to trade (and should be willing to deal), we have AJ Ramos, Adeiny Hechavarria, Derek Dietrich, Tomas Telis, Luis Castillo, Tom Koehler, and possibly Justin Bour. I think Ramos should be dealt, as I see his value being pretty high and I'm under the firm belief that Kyle Barraclough and David Phelps could be successful major league closers. I think Adeiny Hechavarria should be traded because I think Miguel Rojas can play like his 2015 self and be a small improvement. Dietrich should be traded because he's a man without a position on the team and should get a shot to play everyday somewhere else. Telis should be traded since Realmuto has asserted himself as the long term catcher and he's a valuable trade piece to acquire a pitcher. Koehler and Bour are likely players you keep, but both have value in the market. Castillo is our most valuable tradeable prospect in the farm since the team should want to keep Dillon Peters. He's also at a high value and would likely transition to relief work in the majors.

Looking over the team, there are certainly ways to improve the team from where it's at now. I don't think there's a realistic way to become a playoff team with Jose gone, but there are still ways to possibly keep the team around or slightly above .500 if things go absolutely right.

Comment

"Imagine putting that much thought into next seasons team less than a week after Fernandez died."

-The Forum Asshole

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          "Imagine putting that much thought into next seasons team less than a week after Fernandez died."

-The Forum Asshole
          i mean, that is their job. if they kept the team that went .500 with the best pitcher in baseball in tact after he tragically passed away we would roast them in june of next year when the terrible-ness of this week wears off and we are 15 games under .500. It's a terrible thing to have to deal with but that is their job. unless you were just being sarcastic. In which case im the forum asshole. Though that was probably known well before this post.

Comment

Prado is managing the team for the finale

Comment

HUGH

Comment

Working...
              X