No announcement yet.

Marlins Extend Martin Prado, 3y/$40m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really understand why Phelps didn't go back in the rotation after he came back from the DL.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      I don't really understand why Phelps didn't go back in the rotation after he came back from the DL.
      I understand it now cause they are out of it. But come ST hopefully he is back in the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
        I'm not ready to say that this team can't contend without Fernandez, especially if that frees up $200m that the team was potentially budgeting for with Fernandez now gone. Obviously a huge loss both emotionally and on the field, but the fact is Jose's impact was still only every five-days and the product he brought can somewhat replaced easier than say if Giancarlo was in that spot.

The team is devoid of pitching right now but Conley is still on the rise, Chen should bounce-back in 2017, Phelps looked dominant as both a SP and RP and I would imagine he'd be a starter full time next year now.

I see a rotation looking like Chen-Conley-Phelps-Koehler-Urena/Nicolino and admittedly is not good enough, but with available SP like Doug Fister, or maybe trading the likes of Dietrich/Ozuna for an arm, the team more or less looks like it did in 2016. With a fully healthy, living Jose Fernandez, I would've expected the team to seriously compete next year but I don't think that his loss dooms the club to 90+ losses next year.
        The thing is they didn't have 200 million in the budget for him. The plan was to ship him to Boston on NYY for a SS/3B and arms eventually. Try to contend in 2017 then Jose/Ozuna and others shipped out replaced with a Moncada/Eduardo Rodriguez or like Torres/Sheffield and others

When they supposedly had a deal with Arizona it was for Corbin(SP),Drury(3B),another arm or 2 and more. If they had made that then Ozuna dealt somewhere too

Comment

Just stop tj.

Comment

Marlins Extend Martin Prado, 3y/$40m

My biggest issue right now is how/when I'm supposed to be able to separate these men from baseball. Right now, I want every single player on our team to be here forever and don't really care if they win or not. They've all handled themselves with strength and class and I love them all.

I guess it'll slowly get back to normal.

Like, I had (finally) come around on us needing to replace Hechavarria and now instead of him being a bad hitter, this is what we have

How are we supposed to go back?

Comment

I really don't know if/when I will go back to giving any thought to the baseball element of this. This stuff has engulfed me over the last few days where all I'm doing at any free moment is reading about Jose and any story I haven't yet heard about him.

I don't want to imagine how the people in the front office will have to approach this reality.

Comment

right, like, it might make the most sense to trade Dietrich. He had the idea to leave the hats on the mound. How do you trade him? How do you trade Ozuna who not only lost a teammate but probably has survivors' guilt of not going on the boat with Jose?
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

this is a business. as touching as all the tributes are, every single one of the players on the team knows this and knows that no matter how hard this has been, this is an under .500 team who just lost their best player. That's not gonna be an issue.

Comment

I mean we're always going to be ass, who gives a shit? Keep these dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      I mean we're always going to be ass, who gives a shit? Keep these dudes.
                      that's a terrible way to run your business. Jose dying is awful. It fucking sucks. That doesnt mean we keep an entire bad team because they went through a tough time.

Comment

The best way to honor Jose is to build a winning team that all of South Florida gets behind and starts to love baseball the way he did. The players know that keeping this same team together next year is not realistic. Once this season ends, decisions on how to move forward need to be made.

Signing Prado is a good start. This team is in desperate need of pitching and I'm sure they know it. I hope they are prepared to try and fix the rotation. Right now, they have Conley, Chen, Koehler, and possibly Phelps. 2, maybe 3 starters need to be added somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                          that's a terrible way to run your business. Jose dying is awful. It fucking sucks. That doesnt mean we keep an entire bad team because they went through a tough time.
                          When have the Marlins ever been run competently?

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            true, but on the flip side, when have they ever given into feelings rather than run their team in the way they want to?

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                              Now would be a good time to start. I mean, if there was any lesson to be taken from this is that life is short and you may as well go for it while you can...especially since it's fairly likely that Loria will be selling within a few years anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                I'm just telling you my opinion on the situation. I have no faith in the front office to put together a good team.

Comment

Working...
                                X