No announcement yet.

Jose Fernandez Killed in Boating Accident. Really Hope there is inaccurate info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyle Barraclough won the Marlins' Rookie of the Year award for 2016. The award will now be known as the Jose Fernandez Rookie of the Year Award.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I don't like USA Today.

Comment

I also don't like the Miami Herald.

Comment

According to David Ovallo of the Miami Herald, the toxicology report for Jose said he had cocaine in his system and was twice the legal alcohol limit. They don't know who drove the boat. Neither of the other two were over the legal limit, but one of them also had cocaine in his system.

Comment

Ralph Fernandez, no relation to the pitcher, said investigators have strong evidence that the star was not piloting the boat as it zoomed toward the rock jetty some time after leaving the American Social Bar & Kitchen on the Miami River.

The evidence: A witness who was on the phone with Fernandez “at the point of impact,” the lawyer said. The witness told police and Fernandez’s lawyer that the pitcher “was telling the person driving to go left, go left, bear away from the shore, and moments later, communications ceased,” the attorney said.

The witness’s account was backed up by text messages and phone records, according to Fernandez’s lawyer. He believes Macias was behind the wheel of the SeaVee-brand boat dubbed the “Kaught Looking.”

Well damn

Comment

If that story is true, then that's really, really sad.

But my question is why are we just hearing about that phone call now? You would think it would have at least leaked out already.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Jose authentic jersey for 40 bucks on MLB shop. I snagged one.

Comment

I'm not sure how they determine it, but it's been reported today that Jose was driving the boat when it crashed.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/mi...316-story.html

Marlins pitching ace Jose Fernandez was at the controls of his speeding boat when it crashed into a rock jetty of the coast of Miami Beach last September, killing the 24-year-old All-Star and his two passengers, investigators have concluded.

The vessel was traveling at more than 65 miles an hour and Fernandez was over the legal limit for alcohol and had evidence of cocaine in his system when at the time of the Sept. 25 crash, according a report released Thursday by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

“Fernandez operated the [vessel] with his normal faculties impaired, in a reckless manner, in the darkness of night, in an area with known navigational hazards such as the rock jetties and channel markers,” the 46-page report concluded.

Comment

Horrible though not all that unexpected. My real concern now is that his family is going to lose everything.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

yeah, in the article it said:

In February the parents of Macias and Rivero announced they would file negligence and personal injury lawsuits in Miami against Fernandez’s estate, each seeking $2 million.

The lawsuits set the stage for a long-term battle over Fernandez’s estate, which had more potential value than actual assets at the time of his death.

Comment

I read the whole FWC crash report (it's posted on Deadspin). So sad.

Investigators determined he was the operator by DNA, fingerprints and injuries consistent with him being the operator at the time of impact.

I don't think any less of Jose Fernandez (unlike several readers who have posted at Deadspin). I guess those people never had lapses in judgement. I was young once and did stupid shit that didn't result in my death. I'm thankful for that.

Comment

I hate that this came out. I understand it being public info but i wish they could just leave it be. Still so surreal that he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Investigators determined he was the operator by DNA, fingerprints and injuries consistent with him being the operator at the time of impact.

I don't think any less of Jose Fernandez (unlike several readers who have posted at Deadspin). I guess those people never had lapses in judgement. I was young once and did stupid shit that didn't result in my death. I'm thankful for that.
                            Yeah, some of that was tough to read, especially the description of the condition they found them in/the injuries they sustained in the crash.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                              Horrible though not all that unexpected. My real concern now is that his family is going to lose everything.

Really, that is your concern??? What about the families of the two people that Jose killed with his recklessness, two people who weren't millionaires and families didn't have that much already to start with.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post

I mean I think less of myselffor the stupid shit i did when i was young so I absolutely will be one of those people who will think much less of Jose Fernandez knowing he is directly responsible for the death of two people because of his actions and also leaving a child he knew was on the way behind.

Comment

I don't think Jose Fernandez put a gun to their head and ordered them into the boat at night and after he had been drinking. I think everyone feels really bad for those 2 guys and their families. It's a tragedy. But their BAC's were much lower than Jose's yet they still showed poor judgement by getting in the boat with him.

It feels weird debating this. I respect your take on all of this, Godfather. I'm sure we all agree this was a horrible tragedy.

Comment

Working...
                                X