Gauntt: 1-4, 3B, BB, 2 K
    Millan: 2-5, 2 R, RBI, K
    Bennett: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI
    S.Soto: 1-4, R, 2B, RBI, K
    Brooks: 2-3, R, RBI, BB
    Cuello: 3 IP, 2 BB, 1 K
    M.Rodriguez: W, 3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K
    McKay: 2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER

GCL Marlins: Game Cancelled (Game Two - Makeup of 8/27 Postponement)
    Last edited by geemoney; 09-02-2016, 07:41 AM.

9/3

AAA New Orleans: Game Suspended

AA Jacksonville: Game Suspended

A+ Jupiter: L, 9-2

Pineda: 0-4, 3 K
    Sosa: 2-4, R, 2 K
    Ard: 1-2, R, 2 BB, K
    Romero: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K
    Cavanerio: L, 1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER
    Holmes: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K
    Morris: 1 IP
    Jar.Garcia: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HRA

A Greensboro: L, 10-4

I.Soto: 1-4, R, 2B, BB, K
    A.Reyes: 1-3, R, 2 BB, 2 K
    Twine: 2-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI, K
    G.Alfonzo: 0-1, 3 BB
    Pollman: 1-4, 2 RBI, 2 K
    Jacome: L, .2 IP, 3 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
    King: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

A- Batavia: L, 9-1

Bird: 0-3, BB, K, CS
    Olis: 1-4, R, 2B
    A.Jones: 2-4, RBI, K
    Rindfleisch: 1-2, 2B, BB, K
    Jav.Garcia: L, 1 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HRA
    Mertz: 3 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
    Peace: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K

Comment

I'm confident Ben Holmes reaches the majors someday. I believed in him as a pitcher even after his 5+ ERA in GBoro last season. While I don't know if I agree with the front office's decision to turn him into a full time reliever (same issues with Brice), Holmes has become an absolute boss this year in relief with a 1.36 ERA in GBoro and a 1.07 ERA in Jupiter. Hitters just aren't hitting anything thrown by him this year. He better start next season in Jacksonville, and a good half season there I think he can be a June addition to the bullpen (although 2018 is more likely).

It's actually a bit baffling to me. Austin Brice, Ben Holmes, and Jarlin Garcia are all promising starting pitching prospects that the team has moved to relief. While the move has worked out statistically in all cases, the team lacks starting pitchers and they've either traded away or converted all the promising ones in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
        I'm confident Ben Holmes reaches the majors someday. I believed in him as a pitcher even after his 5+ ERA in GBoro last season. While I don't know if I agree with the front office's decision to turn him into a full time reliever (same issues with Brice), Holmes has become an absolute boss this year in relief with a 1.36 ERA in GBoro and a 1.07 ERA in Jupiter. Hitters just aren't hitting anything thrown by him this year. He better start next season in Jacksonville, and a good half season there I think he can be a June addition to the bullpen (although 2018 is more likely).

It's actually a bit baffling to me. Austin Brice, Ben Holmes, and Jarlin Garcia are all promising starting pitching prospects that the team has moved to relief. While the move has worked out statistically in all cases, the team lacks starting pitchers and they've either traded away or converted all the promising ones in the system.
        The whole Holmes thing is confusing as for Brice they see him as a younger David Phelps. Power arm at the back of the pen who can focus on throwing as hard for 1 inning then 6-they decided to move him to the pen LY in the AFL and looked solid. This year they moved him back to SP however figured instead of another #5 starter put him back in the pen and eventually will take Phelps spot.

Garcia is in relief because he is coming back from injury. They are going easy on him and sending him to the AFL. He should be starting there and starting in Jax next year

The real baffling thing tho is why they don't have plans for guys. Seem to just throw darts at names to determine where they pitch and if RP/SP. CJ Robinson looks great LY in Jupiter however this year he spends the year in Gboro. Holmes is 25 and unhittable but instead of moving him up they sign a 28 yr old and don't test him Steven Farnworth who is a closer(size,pitches thrown,makeup) they decide to make a SP midyear however then determine well lets move him up to Jupiter and make him a closer again

The elite teams draft or get guys make a plan for them and its done. They don't change plans at all unless the guy looks terrible.
        Last edited by tjfla; 09-03-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Not sure where we're getting this idea that Brice was ever all that promising as a starter. He's been fairly pedestrian as a starter and has been older than most players at every level. I believe we grade our prospects on a curve because we have so few.

Comment

Well Brice has been in the system straight out of high school, so he's had to deal with his bumps and bruises. But this year he's posted an ERA in the 2's at the age of 23/24. He consistently strikes out 100+ batters and has showcased a high potential arsenal of pitches. I see him as a guy who didn't really start figuring things out until this year.

Look, if he becomes a great reliever in the majors so be it. That's great return for him. But he was showing big promise as a starter in AA this year. His ERA this season before his last started was 1.73 over 67 2/3 IP. His last start he went 4 innings and gave up 7 runs, suddenly he's a reliever again.

Let me say this again. The Marlins converted a then 23 year old starting pitcher with a 1.73 ERA in AA to the bullpen. This is in a system that currently boasts Luis Castillo and Kendry Flores among the teams top pitching prospects.

The more I think about it the less it makes sense.

Comment

Brice wasn't bad as a SP just probably nothing more than #4/5. They started his move last year in the AFL-he was the closer when he went but for some reason(likely cause they don't have any SP prospects) they decided to make him a SP again.

No clue if it is Mattingly or the FO but they like the KC model and had been talking up Brice as replacing David Phelps in that power setup arm since April/May

Castillo isn't really even a SP but like u said they don't have anything so they tried him as a SP and looked solid. He is the 2nd coming of Leo Nunez and if they would have treated him like that he would have been up in NOLA this year.

In all honesty Dillon Peters might be out best actual SP prospect. Surprise Surprise the only guy who doesn't rely on a 95+ FB in our system is the best SP we got

What we need(which we did a little of this year) is to start drafting actual SP instead of guys who throw 95 and cant control it OR throw anything else. This year we took like 4 RP and already have made 3 of them SP. So not only have they NEVER started or likely thrown more than 2 innings,they also will not be moving thru the system as fast as they should because they have to get innings and refine the secondary pitches
              Last edited by tjfla; 09-03-2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I think Brice could be more than a #4/5 with the right coaching. He's just 23 years old and is still growing as a pitcher. He had the best pure stuff in the farm sans possibly Chris Paddack. A lot would need to go right for Brice to get to the point where he could be a #3 starter, but there was a ton of room for growth with him. I think he'll make a great reliever, but I feel with the right work he could've made a pretty good starting pitcher as well. I also don't know why they'd want to replace David Phelps. He's still under contract next season (last arbitration season) and I have to believe he'll be worth whatever he's paid given his flexibility as a starter/reliever. Brice would be a 2018 replacement.

I've said Castillo is bullpen destined. Great surprise pitcher this year but in any other farm he'd be converted to the 'pen once he reaches the majors.

I've said all I need on Peters, not much else needs to be said. I love the guy and think he's a damn good pitcher. I still maintain that Austin Brice was our best starting pitching prospect in the farm system and that it's a mistake, and Paddack would make the case for #2 if he was still here, but Peters is definitely my current favorite.

I don't know the Marlins scouting plans with the prospects they draft. I'm only privy to how the team moves them along once they actually start playing. All I know is that the plan for the last four years has been a failure, with the guys who have succeeded (Heaney/Desclafani/German/Paddack/Williams/Martes) being traded away for players and prospects who have not helped out our major league team as much as those prospects would down the line. It's infuriating how many good starting pitchers we've let go recently and how the team is now stuck with nothing but #5 pitchers everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                  I think Brice could be more than a #4/5 with the right coaching. He's just 23 years old and is still growing as a pitcher. He had the best pure stuff in the farm sans possibly Chris Paddack. A lot would need to go right for Brice to get to the point where he could be a #3 starter, but there was a ton of room for growth with him. I think he'll make a great reliever, but I feel with the right work he could've made a pretty good starting pitcher as well. I also don't know why they'd want to replace David Phelps. He's still under contract next season (last arbitration season) and I have to believe he'll be worth whatever he's paid given his flexibility as a starter/reliever. Brice would be a 2018 replacement.

I've said Castillo is bullpen destined. Great surprise pitcher this year but in any other farm he'd be converted to the 'pen once he reaches the majors.

I've said all I need on Peters, not much else needs to be said. I love the guy and think he's a damn good pitcher. I still maintain that Austin Brice was our best starting pitching prospect in the farm system and that it's a mistake, and Paddack would make the case for #2 if he was still here, but Peters is definitely my current favorite.

I don't know the Marlins scouting plans with the prospects they draft. I'm only privy to how the team moves them along once they actually start playing. All I know is that the plan for the last four years has been a failure, with the guys who have succeeded (Heaney/Desclafani/German/Paddack/Williams/Martes) being traded away for players and prospects who have not helped out our major league team as much as those prospects would down the line. It's infuriating how many good starting pitchers we've let go recently and how the team is now stuck with nothing but #5 pitchers everywhere.
                  He's 24, and saying he has the best stuff in the system is not saying much. Plus Braxton Garrett, Kolek, and Castillo all have better stuff than him. And again his numbers are incredibly unimpressive considering his age relative to his opponents. Before this year he never had below a 1.30 WHIP in any level and he had a pretty bad walk rate.

Comment

9/3

AAA New Orleans: W, 6-5

Galloway: 1-4, 2B
                    Figueroa: 3-4, 2 R, 2B
                    Juengel: 2-4, 2 R, HR (11), 3 RBI, K
                    Nola: 1-4, 2B, RBI
                    McGee: 1-3, R, HR (1), RBI, K
                    Wojciechowski: W, 5 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 3 HRA
                    Cervenka: 1 IP, 1 K
                    T.Kinley: 1 IP, 1 H, 3 K
                    Steckenrider: SV, 1 IP, 1 H

AA Jacksonville: W, 6-2 (Game One - Continuation of Game Suspended 9/2)

Wilson: 2-4, 2 R, HR (2), RBI, SB
                    Dean: 1-3, R, 3B, BB
                    Glenn: 2-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
                    Anderson: 0-4, RBI, K
                    Mooney: 1-3, R, 2B, BB
                    Maron: 1-3, 2 RBI, K
                    Tracy: 3 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
                    Mazza: W, 5 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K

AA Jacksonville: Game Cancelled (Game Two - Makeup of 9/1 Postponement)

A+ Jupiter: L, 5-3

Pineda: 1-3, 2 R, BB, SB
                    Sosa: 2-4, 2B, RBI, BB, K
                    Ard: 0-4, RBI, K
                    Romero: 1-2, R, 2 BB
                    Brigham: L, 5 IP, 12 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
                    Sadberry: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K

A Greensboro: L, 3-0

Garrett: 0-4, 3 K
                    I.Soto: 1-3, BB, K
                    Gould: 1-4, 3 K
                    Silviano: 1-3, 2 K
                    Soltis: 1-1, 2B, 2 BB, CS
                    Newell: L, 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
                    J.Kinley: 2 IP, 3 K
                    Crescentini: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K

A- Batavia: L, 10-0

Bird: 1-4
                    Gutierrez: 0-2, 2 BB
                    A.Jones: 1-3, BB
                    S.Castro: 1-3
                    Mejia: L, 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
                    G.Silva: 1 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HRA

Comment

9/4

AAA New Orleans: W, 4-3

Galloway: 1-3, R, BB, K
                      Figueroa: 1-4, R, RBI
                      Gillespie: 1-3, R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
                      Nola: 1-2, RBI, BB, SB
                      E.Soto: 2-3, R, 2B
                      Axelrod: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HRA
                      Adkins: W, 2 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HRA
                      Cervenka: SV, 1 IP, 1 H, 3 K

AA Jacksonville: L, 9-0 (Game One)

Wilson: 1-2, BB, K
                      Weber: 1-2, BB
                      Roberts: 0-3, 3 K
                      Othman: 1-2, 2B
                      L.Castillo: L, 4.1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HRA
                      Ballew: 2 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HRA

AA Jacksonville: W, 7-1 (Game Two - Makeup of 9/1 Postponement)

Dean: 4-4, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI
                      Anderson: 1-2, R, RBI
                      Mooney: 2-2, 2 R, 2 RBI
                      Maron: 1-3, R, RBI, K
                      Tomshaw: W, 7 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HRA; 1-3, 2B, RBI, K

A+ Jupiter: W, 7-6

Sosa: 2-4, 2 R, RBI, BB, SB
                      Norwood: 2-4, R, RBI, BB, 2 K
                      Ard: 2-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, 2 K
                      Romero: 2-5, R, 2 RBI
                      R.Cabrera: 1-5, RBI
                      Buckelew: 4 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
                      Quijada: W, 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 K
                      Beltre: SV, 2 IP, 1 H, 3 K

A Greensboro: L, 3-0

Barrett: 1-3, BB, K
                      I.Soto: 1-4, 2 K
                      Twine: 1-3, K
                      Pollman: 1-3, K
                      Meyer: 5 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 4 K
                      MacEachern: 1 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
                      Gil: L, 2 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

A- Batavia: W, 1-0 (Game One - Completion of Game Suspended 8/13)

Knapp: 1-2, K
                      Olis: 2-3, RBI, BB, K, CS
                      J.Lopez: 1-3, SB
                      S.Castro: 1-3, R, K
                      Lee: 2 IP, 1 BB, 2 K
                      Perez: W, 7 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 5 K

A- Batavia: W, 6-5 (Game Two)

Bird: 2-4, R
                      Olis: 1-3, RBI
                      Garzillo: 1-2, RBI, K
                      A.Jones: 1-3, R, 2B, 2 K
                      J.Lopez: 1-3, R, RBI
                      S.Castro: 1-3, R, 2 RBI
                      Neubeck: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
                      Hovis: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
                      Hill: W, 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
                      Last edited by geemoney; 09-04-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

9/5

AAA New Orleans: Game Cancelled

AA Jacksonville: W, 4-0

Wilson: 1-4, R, K
                        Dean: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, K
                        Anderson: 0-1, 2 RBI
                        Curley: 1-3, RBI, K
                        Maron: 2-3
                        P.Johnson: W, 6 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 11 K
                        De La Rosa: 1 IP, 1 K
                        Ramsey: 1 IP, 2 K

A Greensboro: L, 5-0

Twine: 1-4, 2B, K
                        Silviano: 1-4, 2B, K
                        Sullivan: 1-3
                        Soltis: 1-3, 2B, K
                        Richards: L, 4.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
                        Keller: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K
                        Crescentini: 1 IP, 1 K

A- Batavia: Game Cancelled (Game One - Makeup of 8/14 Postponement)

A- Batavia: W, 4-3

Bird: 1-3, RBI, BB, K, CS
                        Rindfleisch: 2-3, 2 R, 2 2B
                        I.White: 1-2, RBI
                        Garzillo: 1-3, RBI, K
                        J.Lopez: 1-3, R, 3B
                        S.Castro: 2-3, R, 2B, RBI
                        Beggs: 4 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
                        Peace: W, 1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HRA
                        Delgado: SV, 1 IP, 1 BB

Comment

Patrick Johnson has a really nice stat line in AA this year. If he was five years younger I'd be hyping him up as much as Brice and Peters.

Comment

Trevor Williams another former marlin SP prospect, given up on for no reason, got his first MLB win last night and had significantly better stats this year than any year with the marlins affiliates.

Comment

They traded him for Jim Benedict, they didn't give up on him for no reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X