Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by McLevin View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the...234523946.html

"Prospect culture has done something very odd: lessen the perception of value for major league talent. Making the major leagues is exceedingly difficult. The failure rate for even top prospects sustaining big league careers is enormous. There’s but a small chance that Castillo or Naylor’s major league career lasts as long as Cashner’s. And yet because they’ve yet to fail – because they’re pure fantasy, their careers nothing but whimsical thoughts – they are considered superior to the flawed reality of a major leaguer."

Interesting take, agreed or not.
    Going beyond this specific trade, I 100% agree with this.

Comment

• I disagree with this assumption that Loria is planning to sell in a few years. He has treated this franchise like a personal toy from the very beginning. Contrast this to Huizenga who owned the Dolphins, Marlins and Panthers and was very calculated in his decision making. He sold all three when he believed they were at peak value. He admitted in the very beginning he wasn't a huge baseball fan. The Marlins were an investment to him and he bailed out when he thought he wouldn't get a ballpark and the economic situation in the game was unfavorable for the small markets.

Loria is deeply passionate about baseball and fought for many years to finally own a team. MLB tried to force him to sell the Expos and he threatened anti-trust suits which ended up with him owning the Marlins. He's in his mid-70s and owns a MLB team. What's he going to do after he sells the Marlins? He's already filthy freaking rich with many zeroes in his bank account so I doubt he needs the money. MLB would not let him buy another team. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe this team will be sold when he dies and Samson takes over.

Paying someone $25 million a year isn't a big deal when you're bringing in 9 figures from just one national television deal. The local TV deal is coming up in the next five years and that will raise more revenues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
        I disagree with this assumption that Loria is planning to sell in a few years. He has treated this franchise like a personal toy from the very beginning. Contrast this to Huizenga who owned the Dolphins, Marlins and Panthers and was very calculated in his decision making. He sold all three when he believed they were at peak value. He admitted in the very beginning he wasn't a huge baseball fan. The Marlins were an investment to him and he bailed out when he thought he wouldn't get a ballpark and the economic situation in the game was unfavorable for the small markets.

Loria is deeply passionate about baseball and fought for many years to finally own a team. MLB tried to force him to sell the Expos and he threatened anti-trust suits which ended up with him owning the Marlins. He's in his mid-70s and owns a MLB team. What's he going to do after he sells the Marlins? He's already filthy freaking rich with many zeroes in his bank account so I doubt he needs the money. MLB would not let him buy another team. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe this team will be sold when he dies and Samson takes over.

Paying someone $25 million a year isn't a big deal when you're bringing in 9 figures from just one national television deal. The local TV deal is coming up in the next five years and that will raise more revenues.
        Obviously he does need the money if he continues to run the team as the ultimate penny-pincher, and $25 Million will be a big deal to him, let's not kid ourselves. We've said time and time again, well after we get the stadium then they'll change how they run the team, after this happens that'll change how they run it. It never changes, Loria is what he is, and if Loria intends on keeping the team, there will be another fire sale, there's no doubt in my mind about this. The question is whether MLB will let him get away with this shit one more time.

Comment

• he's got every right to keep his costs in check and sell when he feels the value proposition with regards to the talent's ability to compete relative to the cost of that talent is too low.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            Decent chance he can get at least that on the open market
            He'd have to get 8 years at an AAV of $30 million per season to best that. Hard, but not impossible, to say that's waiting for him if he continues to be a 140 game ceiling player. Maybe I'm wrong.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Party View Post
            I disagree with this assumption that Loria is planning to sell in a few years. He has treated this franchise like a personal toy from the very beginning. Contrast this to Huizenga who owned the Dolphins, Marlins and Panthers and was very calculated in his decision making. He sold all three when he believed they were at peak value. He admitted in the very beginning he wasn't a huge baseball fan. The Marlins were an investment to him and he bailed out when he thought he wouldn't get a ballpark and the economic situation in the game was unfavorable for the small markets.

His estimated net worth and the Marlins' estimated value are very hand-in-hand. He's rich, there's no denying that, but I don't think he's as liquid as most professional sports owners. I'd be willing to bet that he's in the bottom 10% in terms of liquidity among all north American professional team owners. Balloon payments are still a concern/consideration to a guy like that.

Comment

• Which is why I again bring up the possibility of selling 49-50% of the team to a person who sees it more as an investment. Loria's love of baseball is something that should be a good quality in that of an owner but he simply does not have the finances to run the team how I think it should be. Perhaps the best thing for the long term viability of this franchise is having Loria remain for the baseball interest's but having another owner or two to allow for larger budgets.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                Which is why I again bring up the possibility of selling 49-50% of the team to a person who sees it more as an investment. Loria's love of baseball is something that should be a good quality in that of an owner but he simply does not have the finances to run the team how I think it should be. Perhaps the best thing for the long term viability of this franchise is having Loria remain for the baseball interest's but having another owner or two to allow for larger budgets.
                I doubt anyone would consider buying a significant stake in this team with Loria still owning a controlling interest let alone any piece of it. Wasn't he a minority partner in the Expos before screwing the rest of the ownership group over?

Comment

• From Barry Jackson

Hill said it was “extremely difficult” to trade injured Carter Capps but the Marlins were comfortable with their bullpen depth led by AJ Ramos, Kyle Barraclough, Fernando Rodney, plus prospects Brian Ellington, Nefi Ogando and Austin Bryce, among other.

Hill said the Marlins wanted minor-league right hander Tayron Guerrero, the third pitcher obtained in the deal, because “we love the arm. Throws 100 mph. We felt he could be an impactful third piece. Very intriguing.” Guerrero, 6-8, has been pitching in relief but the Marlins might make him a starter, Hill said.

So looks like Capps was included cause they wanted Guerrero AND since the pen is all but set for next year WITHOUT Capps. Still don't understand why everyone has to be tried as a starter in this system?

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                    From Barry Jackson

Hill said it was “extremely difficult” to trade injured Carter Capps but the Marlins were comfortable with their bullpen depth led by AJ Ramos, Kyle Barraclough, Fernando Rodney, plus prospects Brian Ellington, Nefi Ogando and Austin Bryce, among other.

Hill said the Marlins wanted minor-league right hander Tayron Guerrero, the third pitcher obtained in the deal, because “we love the arm. Throws 100 mph. We felt he could be an impactful third piece. Very intriguing.” Guerrero, 6-8, has been pitching in relief but the Marlins might make him a starter, Hill said.

So looks like Capps was included cause they wanted Guerrero AND since the pen is all but set for next year WITHOUT Capps. Still don't understand why everyone has to be tried as a starter in this system?
                    Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• Yeah, if you think he can be a starter, you might as well try. I'm skeptical, I'm sure most other teams are too, but who knows.

Comment

• Hill said it was “extremely difficult” to trade injured Carter Capps but the Marlins were comfortable with their bullpen depth led by AJ Ramos, Kyle Barraclough, Fernando Rodney, plus prospects Brian Ellington, Nefi Ogando and Austin Bryce, among other.
                        When you have an opportunity to turn an area of depth into and area with no depth for very little reason, you gotta pull the trigger on that.

Comment

• Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
                          Source: #Marlins sending Rea back to #Padres but keeping Cashner. Rea left first start with MIA due to elbow injury.

well that's fun

Comment

• [tweet]760167399597436928[/tweet]

Uhhh, I've never seen this before

- - - - - - - - - -

[tweet]760168503110426624[/tweet]

Comment

• Does that mean we get someone else back and/or get a piece we sent back?

Comment

• [tweet]760167610654875648[/tweet]

Comment

Working...
                                X