Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade: Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

The Marlins have reached an agreement to acquire right-hander Andrew Cashner from the Padres, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney (via Twitter).

Don't like the move at all on its own, not a fan of Cashner. But if we were to take on money to get a 2nd starter that doesnt require us giving up much because we're taking on a contract i'll really like the deadline. But this on it's own doesn't do much for me. -1.2 WAR over the last 2 years and 47 starts from Cashner.

- - - - - - - - - -

According to Barry Jackson we are trying to add 2 starters at the deadline, so hopefully we're not done. James shields would be incredible. But, you know, money.

Barry Jackson says Padres are also including Colin Rea so there's the two SPs.

Comment

Naylor going to the Padres. Welp.

Comment

Well there it is our 2 SP,1 FA and 1 Controllable

If its not Naylor AND Castillo to SD we should be jumping for joy

Naylor is a given tho

Comment

We've now traded 3 top 12 picks in the last 5 years and have 2 5th starters and Dee Gordon to show for it.

Comment

I'm not going to sit here complaining for a decade that they don't ever go for it, and then complain that they trade prospects in order to go for it.

Flags fly forever baby. Let's go get it
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Really dont like this trade if Rea is the 2nd starter we're adding. The marlins complete resistance to ever spending money has decimated an already bad farm system the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                We've now traded 3 top 12 picks in the last 5 years and have 2 5th starters and Dee Gordon to show for it.
                To be fair,Cashner will be our #2 or #3 and Naylor is nothing special.

Also if Castillo isn't in the deal don't be surprised if we arent done dealing yet.

Comment

The good thing is that we are getting Moncada and Benintendi for Jose Fernandez in a year and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    I mean, that's a pretty strange statement. Dee Gordon is a very good player. Cashner and Cosart may end up something, even if not overwhelming. The top draft picks may not pan out. Weird to chalk it up as a loss already.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                      The good thing is that we are getting Moncada and Benintendi for Jose Fernandez in a year and a half.
                      Are u kidding? Its Moncada and Kopech. Anyone who throws 105 gets Jeff going and of course Jeff will get Moncada. Get the guy u wanted and save 260 million!!!

Comment

Could we flip Rea somewhere else as part of another deal to get someone better?

Comment

Originally posted by McLevin View Post
                          I mean, that's a pretty strange statement. Dee Gordon is a very good player. Cashner and Cosart may end up something, even if not overwhelming. The top draft picks may not pan out. Weird to chalk it up as a loss already.
                          Cashner has a -1.2 War over the last 2 years according to ESPN and is a 5th starter and free agent after the year and Cosart sucks. My biggest gripe is not giving up the players, it's that giving up the players was completely avoidable if this ownership would do the bare minimum that a major league team should be doing salary wise when we spent tax payer dollars to build them a new ballpark.

Comment

Cashner will have to shave his beard off

Comment

Rea, though, entered the 2015 season as the Padres’ No. 4 prospect at MLB.com and No. 7 prospect at Baseball America. Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com noted at the time that the new Padres regime considered Rea to be a pleasant surprise, as he’d added velocity to his fastball, more power to his curveball and also improved his command.

Comment

Working...
                              X