No announcement yet.

Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another thing to consider about Capps is his delivery - I know the legality of his delivery was called into question last year, so if they do ever decide to make it illegal, who knows what kind of pitcher he is without it.

Comment

• [tweet]759078716895035401[/tweet]

Got cash in the deal too

Comment

• of course we did

Comment

• lol
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Jesus

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              [tweet]759078716895035401[/tweet]

Got cash in the deal too
              U needed confirmation on that? #1 Cashner is making 7.15 mil this year and #2 Why do u think we had to pay more than was needed?

I do have one question about the tweet tho-do u think Jeff buys them a 3 pack razor or will they all have to use the same 1?

Comment

• money was not a factor in the trade though!!

Yeah right....so much for Jeff "willing to spend to win."

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  money was not a factor in the trade though!!

Yeah right....so much for Jeff "willing to spend to win."
                  Money is always a factor in Marlin deals. Why do u think when we get guys we pay too much and when we trade guys we get too little?

Comment

• There are two problems with this move. Obviously it's been mentioned a million times here that this farm system is one of the weakest in baseball that some teams were saying had virtually no assets worth acquiring. Considering the nature of this market, if you thought you were going to get an impact starter for one or two prospects, you were deluding yourself.

The guys we gave up were the best we had but simply were not that good. Josh Naylor is a one-tool power hitter who was not hitting for power. Luis Castillo (2.0) was a pitcher that realistically projected as a RP. Jarred Cosart has been inconsistent his entire ML career and the trade we made in 2014 should not be the sole reason we hang onto him.

Carter Capps is the move that hurts here but ask yourself something. When you've got a bullpen that has been dominant for the most part this season and you can deal a piece of depth and a guy who can't even pitch in 2016, don't you move him if it gets you what you want for right now?

The second problem, and the one that I really have with this move, is Cashner and Rea are not that good. Rea is under club control through 2021 so there's time with him to work out kinks and maybe he becomes something down the road, but make no mistake this was a trade about Andrew Cashner and the guy is a bad pitcher. He has not been good since 2013. No matter how good the Marlins defense is, a fat pitch out over the plate is going to get hit regardless of who is at SS. I don't know how much this improves the team because Cashner is no better a pitcher than Chen or Koehler has been. Realistically, if you just threw Urena out there for 20 starts he'd probably give you similar numbers.

Andrew Cashner is not a piece for a stretch run. Andrew Cashner does not turn a team that wasn't going to the playoffs into a team that will. Chances are, if they're a team capable of making the playoffs today, they were probably one yesterday too. This move does nothing for me.

Comment

• I know it is, and it's ridiculous!

The point is $7.15 million (less than that at this point in the season) shouldn't matter to a major league team.

Comment

• Yep, he probably didn't end up spending a god damn cent.

It makes me laugh that the twitter feed touts the cash considerations in the tweet. Do they have to advertise that we got cash considerations, I wonder? You would thing Loria would try and hide his cheapness.

Comment

• Would you rather they trade all that and then also pay the $7.15 million owed to Cashner?

Comment

• http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...cashner-trade/

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                              Would you rather they trade all that and then also pay the $7.15 million owed to Cashner?
                              The money is irrelevant to me. The point is we didn't get the money because the Padres felt bad for us. Again we're taking less and giving up more for monetary reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                                I know it is, and it's ridiculous!

The point is $7.15 million (less than that at this point in the season) shouldn't matter to a major league team.
                                Agreed and its at least 60% less than that now so 3 million or so?

Maybe he needs the 3 million to spend in the IFA market or for Cubans??? I think we all know tho its going to the next art auction
                                Last edited by tjfla; 07-29-2016, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X