Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    So u want them to get better but not give away assets? HAHA. U realize that even when u spend money guys choose NOT to come here. JA Happ was our #1 FA target and we offered him more money than Toronto did but he decided to go there instead?
    No, I dont want them to continue to have to give away better prospects than they normally would just because they refuse to ever spend money. I dont care about trading prospects. Im all for it. But we are consistently getting terrible value in deals and continue to completely refuse to spend money. Mike Dunn sucks but at 3.45 million a year that shouldn't be a huge priority to get rid of in a deal.

We are a major league organization that chooses to never spend money and at this point there are literally no excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      So u want them to get better but not give away assets? HAHA. U realize that even when u spend money guys choose NOT to come here. JA Happ was our #1 FA target and we offered him more money than Toronto did but he decided to go there instead?
      In free agency, obviously the player has the choice of where he wants to go, so yes, even if you do offer the most money, you're not guaranteed that the player signs with you. To address your point about players not wanting to come here - the team, because of Loria and his antics, has the reputation of being cheap, not trying, not being competitive, not to mention trading players away left and right, including the year after you sign a deal, so I can't necessarily blame players for not wanting to come here.

That said, fish16's more currently relevant point was that Loria still seems unwilling to include money in a deal to acquire a better player and/or include lesser prospects in the deal. This results in having to surrender the top guys in our already bad farm system, which is also a direct result of him not willing to spend money (and furthermore means we didn't have any internal reinforcements and are needing to go to the trade market to upgrade). Everything can be traced back to Loria's cheapness

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        No, I dont want them to continue to have to give away better prospects than they normally would just because they refuse to ever spend money. I dont care about trading prospects. Im all for it. But we are consistently getting terrible value in deals and continue to completely refuse to spend money. Mike Dunn sucks but at 3.45 million a year that shouldn't be a huge priority to get rid of in a deal.

We are a major league organization that chooses to never spend money and at this point there are literally no excuses.
        Naylor is a 7-12 prospect in a normal system. This is a sellers market,Travis Demeritte who would have been the #2 Prospect in our system got 2 pitchers BOTH worse than Rea and Adalberto Mejia who would have been our #1 pitcher returned a UT player

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          In free agency, obviously the player has the choice of where he wants to go, so yes, even if you do offer the most money, you're not guaranteed that the player signs with you. To address your point about players not wanting to come here - the team, because of Loria and his antics, has the reputation of being cheap, not trying, not being competitive, not to mention trading players away left and right, including the year after you sign a deal, so I can't necessarily blame players for not wanting to come here.

That said, fish16's more currently relevant point was that Loria still seems unwilling to include money in a deal to acquire a better player and/or include lesser prospects in the deal. This results in having to surrender the top guys in our already bad farm system, which is also a direct result of him not willing to spend money (and furthermore means we didn't have any internal reinforcements and are needing to go to the trade market to upgrade). Everything can be traced back to Loria's cheapness
          The bold is my exact point, you are right. It is a consistent cycle of being cheap, then said cheapness being used to make us either give up more in trades or force us to make any trades altogether (for example, not signing Fister or any other veteran starter in the offseason as a back of the rotation guy forcing the team to give up our top prospect for a #5 impending free agent starter)

Comment

Well, I can't say I'm super-excited about the move, but it was a move that had to be made if we're going to make a run at the playoffs. We knew the market was unfavorable, and we knew we didn't have much to give up.

Now the challenge is turning Cashner back into 2013-2014 Cashner for the next 2 months. I like the inclusion of Rea, I think he'll be a fine Tom Koehler-replacement for the coming years.

Comment

Yea I'm looking at their roster and its Myers, T. Ross (if healthy), maybe Solarte, and relievers which are the only interesting things.

No idea what else works in the Jose Fernandez contending team window.

Comment

I think they were referring to the inclusion of Dunn most likely, not us getting anymore from SD

Comment

Anybody have any idea who from the ML roster is heading to SD? I know we've said Mike Dunn jokingly, but realistically who could it be? Knowing them, they'd probably throw Hech in the deal.

Comment

Jeff Passan says Castillo is included in the deal as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                      Anybody have any idea who from the ML roster is heading to SD? I know we've said Mike Dunn jokingly, but realistically who could it be? Knowing them, they'd probably throw Hech in the deal.
                      Would say Urena,Dunn,Cosart. They had discussions on Urena before and we discussed Dunn with Philly to offset salary of hellickson

Comment

I would say Urena makes the most sense. Although that makes the addition Rea addition just swapping Rea for Urena which I'm not sure does much for either team.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                        Jeff Passan says Castillo is included in the deal as well.
                        oof

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          Jeff Passan Says Castillo is included in the deal as well.
                          Sounds about right. They asked us last week(u guys should unblock me) Cashner for Naylor AND Castillo however we said No. Guess Rea inclusion helped us decide

Comment

so, we thinking it's Dietrich or the dude that sniffs butts?

Comment

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                I would say Urena makes the most sense. Although that makes the addition Rea addition just swapping Rea for Urena which I'm not sure does much for either team.

- - - - - - - - - -

oof
                                Well it depends,some teams see Urena as a RP. Same with Castillo.

Our FO still considers Urena a RP/Swing guy

Comment

Working...
                                X