No announcement yet.

Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $233 million is $233 million I don't care who you are, and you make playing professional baseball in Miami sound like it's an internment camp.

It's a moot point either way. By the time we get to 2020 and time for his decision either he will be already gone (traded) or Loria will be gone. I'll make Todd eat a toad if I'm wrong about that.

Comment

• Im still absolutely incensed at this deal. Honestly, its not even about the names at this point. Its about taxpayers paying 500 million and our team still being 29th in payroll and making minor league type moves like this. I have a friend who audited the marlins before the year started. This team is not poor. This is complete and utter bullshit and MLB should be ashamed they've let this go on for this long.

Loria has a long night ahead of him from me lol

Comment

• I mean if you look at it from the perspective of:
        1) Miami finally having an All Star game (relevant in the eyes of MLB, theoretically increasing the franchise's value)
        2) the backloaded contracts ballooning in the next few years (Loria would never pay players that much)
        3) the team being in the hunt this year (and presumably next year, with most of the team returning)
        4) Loria could be planning to sell and is saying "fuck it" regarding the farm system/the team's future as it won't be his problem.

Though you could argue the opposite too...

1) The All Star Game means MLB sees Miami (and therefore Loria) as legitimate
        2) Loria pulls a typical Marlins move and dumps everyone making money before he has to pay them.
        3) the team being relevant justifies his moves and lack of spending money.
        4) the fucked farm system gets replenished by the "Marlin-sale" (#2 above).

Therefore his moves are justified in his mind and he keeps his money mint.

---

I do wonder though if he pulls another fire sale of everyone (even if it is a "good baseball trade"), does MLB let it happen again or do they then finally step in and actually do something?

Comment

• With a Jose innings cap forthcoming, any chance we're about to keep Urena in and make this a six-man rotation?

Comment

• Mattingly said pre game this is a 6 man rotation now. Rea starting tomorrow, Cashner Sunday. Decision might be made with Bour coming off DL
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• As much as I'm not a fan of this trade, it could still end up being worth it for Miami. Cashner has been pitching better lately and has decent stuff. Rae also still has upside. If the lineup continues to hit, or even improves (which isn't out of the question with Dee back), and the rotation gets solidified with these two performing, this is going to be a tough team to beat. It's the Marlins, so that probably won't happen, but it wouldn't be unrealistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by McLevin View Post
                With a Jose innings cap forthcoming, any chance we're about to keep Urena in and make this a six-man rotation?
                NEVERMIND
                Last edited by tjfla; 07-29-2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                  Also, people acting like a Stanton opt out is a done deal. I just don't see it, the power is all in his hands, and even if we're terrible, I think chances are at 31 years old 8 years/$233 million is going to be almost impossible for him to walk away from. Unless he's coming off a couple of MVP seasons or something.
                  Decent chance he can get at least that on the open market

Comment

• If this team doesn't make the playoffs THIS year I can see them trading Stanton, Hech, Koehler, Chen, Fernandez, Ramos, Morris and Ozuna this offseason. I can see them saying that they have to because this team can't win we gave it our best effort this year and we need to add to our minor league system. May have to bundle Ozuna, Yelich or Gordon with Chen to get rid of his contract and still get nothing back. It would not surprise me one bit I think it is too late to take the all star game now.

Comment

• You think they'd do that with the All Star Game next year? I don't think even Loria would be that stupid. THAT would make everyone wake up about him.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
                        If this team doesn't make the playoffs THIS year I can see them trading Stanton, Hech, Koehler, Chen, Fernandez, Ramos, Morris and Ozuna this offseason. I can see them saying that they have to because this team can't win we gave it our best effort this year and we need to add to our minor league system. May have to bundle Ozuna, Yelich or Gordon with Chen to get rid of his contract and still get nothing back. It would not surprise me one bit I think it is too late to take the all star game now.
                        Other than Morris and maybe Hech they ALL should be back next year till atleast the deadline. The ASG is a big deal to him. Now winter of 17/18 very possible

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          The pipeline is certainly trading Fernandez, Ozuna, Ramos, Koehler, Hech, and maybe others July 31, 2018 if they are not contending.
                          Right, they're in a position where they literally cannot let anybody walk. They HAVE to trade every player. They lost a year of Jose by breaking camp with him, and they'll lose another because the franchise has to use him a recoup tool. It's forced rebuilding rather than being able to retool and stay competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                            Decent chance he can get at least that on the open market
                            I disagree, we'll see.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            Mattingly said pre game this is a 6 man rotation now. Rea starting tomorrow, Cashner Sunday. Decision might be made with Bour coming off DL
                            Urena is going to be out of the rotation. It would be dumb to wait 2 days to send him down.

Comment

• http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the...234523946.html

"Prospect culture has done something very odd: lessen the perception of value for major league talent. Making the major leagues is exceedingly difficult. The failure rate for even top prospects sustaining big league careers is enormous. There’s but a small chance that Castillo or Naylor’s major league career lasts as long as Cashner’s. And yet because they’ve yet to fail – because they’re pure fantasy, their careers nothing but whimsical thoughts – they are considered superior to the flawed reality of a major leaguer."

Interesting take, agreed or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Other than Morris and maybe Hech they ALL should be back next year till atleast the deadline. The ASG is a big deal to him. Now winter of 17/18 very possible
                                I think they have the all star game locked up it is probably too late to move it now. I really don't think Loria cares what others or baseball thinks. He doesn't think MLB will do anything to him hell they haven't to this point. I would not put it past him at all to do another fire sale this offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X