No announcement yet.

Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Padres didn't include the money, the return would've still been virtually the same so I don't understand the issue here. You'd spend $7.15m just to keep Jarred Cosart?

Comment

• No, I'd rather them act like a real franchise and pay the $3M or whatever is left on the deal and give up less.

You know Loria was like "who would it take to get you to pay the rest of Cashner's salary?" Capps? Ok! And now he doesn't have to pay Cashner or Capps next year.

Comment

• Deal sucks and deals like this over the last 3 seasons are why the Marlins are in this predicament when it comes to the cupboard being completely bare. They've consistently over paid in just about every deal they've been a part of for a bit now. Maybe they win the World Series and it's fine. More likely though they go 7-20 in August and that's the season. They're out on young talent with upside and there's not an easy way to regain that quickly.

This roster is the result of this front office going all in over the last few seasons. This is as good as it gets in Miami for Major League Baseball. Hope they do something with it.

Comment

• It's not 7.15, more like 2.75 at this point in the season. And yeah, keep Capps, or Castillo
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
            If the Padres didn't include the money, the return would've still been virtually the same so I don't understand the issue here. You'd spend $7.15m just to keep Jarred Cosart?
            True but its always good laugh. Its 3 million dollars and he acts like its 30 million-this is one reason baseball hates the guy. He plays poor even tho he's not

Comment

If the Padres didn't include the money, the return would've still been virtually the same so I don't understand the issue here. You'd spend $7.15m just to keep Jarred Cosart?
              Well I know that's not true, or else the Padres wouldn't have given us the money, and how you are making the connection that the money the Padres gave up is equivalent to Jarred Cosart, I'm not sure.

Also, Cashner is probably owed less than $3 million at this point, not $7.15 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                No, I'd rather them act like a real franchise and pay the $3M or whatever is left on the deal and give up less.

You know Loria was like "who would it take to get you to pay the rest of Cashner's salary?" Capps? Ok! And now he doesn't have to pay Cashner or Capps next year.
                U forgot

Jeff-Throw in Guerrero too!!

SD-So 3 million and Guerrero for Capps?

Jeff-Yep

SD-Sounds good,we were gonna DFA him anyway during the winter

Comment

• Sounds about right! You'd think we had flies on the wall in the meeting/trade call.

Comment

• We didn't really give up anything of value, so whatever Don't care for Naylor, said towards the start of the season I hoped he was the chip they'd use. His statistical profile (low walks, low k) does not translate well to the majors. I don't think he'll be anything special. Capps has pitched a grand total of 50 ip in the three years he's been with us, and as rmc said who knows about the future legality of his delivery. Cosart and Castillo are big whatevers.

I think this is going to be a trade that really does nothing for either team. We traded nothing for nothing with a different name. And that's the best we could do. I'm hopeful, because why not, so I am glad they at least did something. Frustration over not trading Capps before when we all knew it was the right move is mostly what I take away from it

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      Well I know that's not true, or else the Padres wouldn't have given us the money, and how you are making the connection that the money the Padres gave up is equivalent to Jarred Cosart, I'm not sure.

Also, Cashner is probably owed less than $3 million at this point, not $7.15 million.
                      No what I was saying was the base of the deal, which I'd assume is probably Naylor and Capps, wouldn't have changed and those are the only two guys on our side of the deal maybe worth bitching about.

Bigger problem is that the guy they got sucked, not that they got money from someone else to pay him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just gotta wonder what Capps would've fetched if moved in the offseason or at last year's deadline.

Comment

• Naylor and Castillo- #4/#15 in SD system

Comment

Andrew Cashner and the guy is a bad pitcher. He has not been good since 2013.

XXX

combined 4.6 WAR in 2014 and 2015

What's your definition of a bad pitcher?

Comment

No what I was saying was the base of the deal, which I'd assume is probably Naylor and Capps, wouldn't have changed and those are the only two guys on our side of the deal maybe worth bitching about.

Bigger problem is that the guy they got sucked, not that they got money from someone else to pay him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just gotta wonder what Capps would've fetched if moved in the offseason or at last year's deadline.
                            Capps would have brought aton and likely would have been our setup guy before he got hurt. While trading him was weird,our pen is already full for next year WITHOUT him and we will have Brice,Guerrero,Steckenreider in AAA. Still terrible idea tho

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                              Deal sucks and deals like this over the last 3 seasons are why the Marlins are in this predicament when it comes to the cupboard being completely bare. They've consistently over paid in just about every deal they've been a part of for a bit now. Maybe they win the World Series and it's fine. More likely though they go 7-20 in August and that's the season. They're out on young talent with upside and there's not an easy way to regain that quickly.

This roster is the result of this front office going all in over the last few seasons. This is as good as it gets in Miami for Major League Baseball. Hope they do something with it.
                              I don't disagree with the fact they have basically always overpayed, but I would say the bigger issue is lack of any kind of pipeline. Most every other team can make buying trades without issue. Terrible drafting and completely lack of IFA expounds how painful it is to lose young talent. They over pay with a resource that is more valuable to themselves than to others. It's pretty hilarious

Comment

- - - - - - - - - -

You're still making big assumptions. The problem is bigger than this trade, it's an indication that despite actually winning this year our organizational strategy of foregoing talent in favor of saving a buck, that's gotten our minor league system in the shambles it's in right now, is continuing, and it's sad because you would think as a team with a pitifully small payroll now would be the time to act like a big league organization and spend that money you've saved over the last couple years on improving the team and maintaining some semblance of a farm system.

Comment

Working...
                                X