Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Naylor was ranked #30-40 he was taken because we wanted to save cash. He signed for 2.25 and slot was 3 mil
    I understand that, he is still in the top 100 for some of the lists already and we got pennies on the dollar for the value we gave up yet again.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
      his job is such that he does not go to work with a pitcher for a week. his work is more in depth than that
      Well clearly I'm unclear with what he actually does, but it sounds like maybe we're focusing too much on the fact that he wouldn't be working with him one on one. Point is he might benefit from going down to AAA and having some different people work with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by McLevin View Post
        To be fair on Naylor, he's a "power bat" not hitting for power in Low A. Get that he's young, he's going to develop in someway, but his biggest contribution in Low A has been a knife incident.
        Ya he has 9 HR in 342 AB's while John Silviano has 5 HR in 75 ABs. Lefty bats love Gboro

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          So the deal is done. What do we do now? Do we try to find a lefty for the bullpen? Or a bench guy? Or are we done?
          my guess is we trade Dunn somewhere to save cash and maybe recoup a prospect or two, we maybe try to add a bench bat but I think we're pretty finished here
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
            I'm whatever about this trade.

I think we're better this year because 2 starts ago we were all bitching about Urena who's looked awful most of the year in AAA and we all think should be in the bullpen longterm. And Cosart can't seem to get right. And I have to figure Chen might end up missing the rest of the season. So, yeah, I think we're improved this year. We overpaid like crazy. But also, Naylor may have been taken 12 but it was widely known that we reached (he was somewhere ranked around 30-40) and he's shown little power in his minor league time which is his only calling card. Castillo might end up being nice, but TNSTAAPP so who knows. Maybe Cosart will figure it out but we haven't been able to break through with him. And Capps would be nice to keep but maybe he goes all Tim Spooneybarger on us and never comes back, or never comes back right. That motion is so funky who knows.

So yeah, we overpaid, but we also improved, if only a little, and we didn't trade anything we need NOW. We'll worry about how barren the system is when we get there. It's impossible to win over the fans this ballclub has. We had basically one trade chip and it was Naylor. If we did nothing and missed the playoffs everyone would complain. Well, we did something, now let's make the fucking playoffs for the first time in 13 years.
            I'm fine with trading all of that stuff, I just am surprised we can't get something better. But, as mentioned, I agree, the team is better today.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              I understand that, he is still in the top 100 for some of the lists already and we got pennies on the dollar for the value we gave up yet again.
              he was #100 on one list

Comment

• If this deal gets the Marlins in the playoffs, then it was probably worth it. If not, it will probably look awful. The most puzzling part to me is Capps. It's the Marlins once again selling low, and having no clue how to manage assets. Ironically, had they moved him at the deadline last year, that return alone probably could have gotten them this group from SD.

Comment

• When they said the Marlins were trading another piece from the major league roster I would have bet money it was Dietrich since Dee is back. lol.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                    When they said the Marlins were trading another piece from the major league roster I would have bet money it was Dietrich since Dee is back. lol.
                    DD seems to be off the table. Hech would be the most likely one beside Dunn

Comment

• Mattingly loves Dietrich and they love Mattingly (for now)

Comment

• Well if u couldnt tell how crazy the market is/will be how about this

@JeffPassan

Sign that the trade market has officially gotten out of hand: Jeremy Hellickson may well fetch at least three, and perhaps four, prospects.

Yep the same Hellickson that before he owned the Fish twice was reportedly close to being dealt straight up for Castillo(which everyone was saying was too much).
                        Last edited by tjfla; 07-29-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• I think of Naylor kind of how I saw moran. I guy who will likely reach the majors but will never be more than an average starter. I'm fine trading him when he's still got value. Capps has an injury history so it's whatever. I like luis Castillo and he's been my favorite minor leaguer to follow but he's got future reliever written all over him.

I like grabbing cashner. His numbers are bleh but he's experienced and carries a good upside. Rea is what as is guerrero. The big thing I like is seeing the team go for it. Nobody in our system was so good that we should've viewed them as untouchable (although paddack was getting there). The Marlins haven't been this close to the playoffs in God knows how long. Kill the farm and go for it. We'll just rebuild it next year when we get a teams entire farm in the Jose Fernandez trade

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

So u want them to get better but not give away assets? HAHA. U realize that even when u spend money guys choose NOT to come here. JA Happ was our #1 FA target and we offered him more money than Toronto did but he decided to go there instead?
                            The Loria Factor.....players know all about him. The chickens are coming home to roost, in a matter of speaking.

Comment

Jim Bowden ESPN Senior Writer

Another indication on how strong the sellers market really is.
                              Actually it points to just how horrific & cheap the owner is, but.......whatever....

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddawg View Post
                                Actually it points to just how horrific & cheap the owner is, but.......whatever....
                                Wat...we didn't give up any players making money. This deal has absolutely zero to do with money...

Man some people here make dumb comments just to sound cool.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X