Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giancarlo Stanton Home Run Derby Win Causes Marketing Issues, Because #ThatsSoMarlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giancarlo Stanton Home Run Derby Win Causes Marketing Issues, Because #ThatsSoMarlins

only the Marlins could find a way to look awful after their representative had the greatest derby showing of all time

Miami Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton hit so many home runs on his way to winning the Home Run Derby on Monday night that he caused at least a temporary marketing nightmare for his team.

Earlier in the day, the Marlins sent an email to their fans advertising that "when Giancarlo homers, you score!"

The offer said that "each time G launches a home run out of Petco Park, we'll knock a percentage point off future Marlins tickets."

Stanton proceeded to launch 61 home runs, besting Bobby Abreu's 2005 record in the contest by 20 homers. His final competitor, Todd Frazier, also broke the record by one (42 home runs).

So did that mean that Marlins fans got 61 percent off future games?

Well, not exactly. Fans who clicked on the link, which activated after the contest, discovered they would get just 25 percent off on all seats for 35 specified future Marlins games.

A $26 seat becomes $20.

A $218 seat is $164.

With a 61 percent discount, a $26 seat would be $10.14. The $218 seat would be $85.02.

When reached Monday night, team president David Samson said that, although the terms were not specified in the initial email to fans, Major League Baseball Advanced Media, which runs team websites, sets a maximum on these type of offers at 25 percent.

"What Giancarlo did was so cool that we are working on an additional offer," Samson said. "We're thinking about picking a game and offering 61 percent off."

Some fans might argue that's what they thought they were guaranteed when the contest ended.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17...-miami-marlins
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Only team in the majors who this would happen to. Anyone really surprised tho?

U know next year the prices will be up 25% because Jeff needs to pay the roster OR get rid of some cash!!

Comment

god our promotional and pr teams are terrible. also terrible, my betting skills. bet on G to win the derby last year, loses in first round. dont bet this year, he interrupts the space time continuum with his HR's. I suck.

Comment

he was hurt last year so you are pretty terrible

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          god our promotional and pr teams are terrible. also terrible, my betting skills. bet on G to win the derby last year, loses in first round. dont bet this year, he interrupts the space time continuum with his HR's. I suck.
          How could u NOT bet in him this year? When your swing has been broken all year and u got a guy throwing the ball right down the middle,it prolly looked like a beach ball to him. Now if Shine would have followed the scouting report Stanton might have hit NONE.

Not sure if u realize what Stanton's issue was all year but it is his swing it is the same on every swing. So when a pitcher throws him in or out it pretty much is a miss

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            How could u NOT bet in him this year? When your swing has been broken all year and u got a guy throwing the ball right down the middle,it prolly looked like a beach ball to him. Now if Shine would have followed the scouting report Stanton might have hit NONE.

Not sure if u realize what Stanton's issue was all year but it is his swing it is the same on every swing. So when a pitcher throws him in or out it pretty much is a miss
            well wasn't that fucking enlightening

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post

i didn't bet period. stanton had the same problems his entire career and lost in the first round i think last year.

Comment

Watching Stanton was awesome. Something, as a fan, you always knew he could do, and now it has exposed him even more to the national audience. All came together last night.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                  i didn't bet period. stanton had the same problems his entire career and lost in the first round i think last year.
                  Nah he lost in third round in 2014 and didn't play in the last year's derby because of his injury.

Comment

Working...
                  X