Marlins Nearing Trade For Fernando Rodney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
    If we were going to move Paddack, would have much rather gotten Jake Odorizzi.
    He's probably worth more than just Paddock.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
    If we were going to move Paddack, would have much rather gotten Jake Odorizzi.
    He's probably worth more than just Paddock.

Comment

10.6 K/9, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Rodney .210 BABIP this year.
        A lot of that has to do with the quality of contact given up.

He's probably not going to pitch to a .3 ERA all year, but advanced metrics suggest he'll be good the rest of the year. There's nothing alarming about his advanced stats this year. He's also proven in the past that he's capable of long stretches of dominance. He had a .6 ERA that one year with the Rays.

Comment

3.8 BB/9 though. Not the worst but I wouldn't call that good.

- - - - - - - - - -

We'll come back to this thread in September and if we're out of it and he's out of the league, we can bitch about this trade.

Comment

Paddock was literally the only name that matters in our system and they traded him for a 39 year old reliever with a volatile performance history?

jesus

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
              Not happy it's Paddack, but, at the same time, they've screwed up the minor leagues for so long that I'm glad they don't consider any prospect untouchable at this point. The core of the team is in the big leagues already. They should try to win with this core that they've mostly locked up long-term before Jose becomes a free agent and leaves. Once Jose leaves, the Paddack years will likely be irrelevant anyway.

And I actually didn't know who this guy was until like a week ago.
              I don't disagree with your point, these next two years are the teams window of competing, but then throw the farm for a SP.

Comment

Does anyone think that our prospects are almost irrelevant at this point? Like, I honestly wouldn't care if they continued this and trade Naylor, Kolek, etc. for upgrades to the 2016 team.

Every team has a window to compete, and ours seems to be the next couple of years. It's not great asset management, but by the time Paddock is ready, Jose will be pitching for the Dodgers and we'll have plenty of prospects to talk about.

Just try to win this year. Also, Rodney has a club option for next year so they can probably get a similar prospect in return one day if he continues to pitch well. Or maybe the presence of Rodney this offseason makes them feel more comfortable trading Ramos whose trade value projects to be at an all-time high after the season if he continues at a similar pace.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by nny View Post
                I don't disagree with your point, these next two years are the teams window of competing, but then throw the farm for a SP.
                Yeah but what SP available are you throwing the farm for, and is our farm currently good enough for such a SP?

Comment

I imagine a starting package of Paddock, Naylor, Garrett, and Kolek/Urena/Jarlin get traction with the O dude in TB and P dude in SD that I'm too lazy to figure out how to spell their names. Yeah that's more of a "depth" trade but it's still a B SP, two B to B- bats, and your pick of a young C+ SP with potential.

And yeah, I do image this kinda spells a Ramos trade in the offseason. Him racking up saves is going to rocket his arbitration, and trade value as well. Trade Ramos in the offseason, let Rodney close next year, and you "replace" Ramos with Capps. I definitely don't dislike getting Rodney, I'm just surprised we gave up about our only valuable asset to do it.
                  Last edited by nny; 06-30-2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

While Paddack has been great this year,dont forget he started the season in Extended ST

The deal I heard they were discussing was Urena,Draft Pick and IFA Cash however in the past few days teams were making stronger offers for him so we bumped our offer up and they decided to take it now rather than wait to mid July. They wanted to sell Rodney before he came back to earth. Rodney has a club option for next year as well which is a big reason why it took Paddack instead of a Castillo or someone

Comment

There is just so much to dislike about this trade I don't even know where to start.

Comment

I mean, would any of us doubt the fact that the Urbina trade won us the World Series in 2003? Let's not forget Michael Tejera and Tommy Phelps made starts for us that year, and that Pavano pitched like ass that year, and Penny was league average, and we relied on a better than ever Mark Redman.
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I would hardly say that trade won us the World Series in 2003 but I see your point.

Comment

You were too young to remember what Braden Looper outings were like
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Is anyone watching the pregame show? Do they keep calling Rodney a LHP? Are they clueless or am I not hearing things properly?

Comment

Forget Looper. I remember Vladimir Nunez and Armando Almanza

Comment

Working...
                                X