Marlins Nearing Trade For Fernando Rodney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade: Marlins Nearing Trade For Fernando Rodney

The Marlins are nearing a trade that would net them right-hander Fernando Rodney from the Padres in exchange for “a good A-ball prospect,” reports ESPN’s Keith Law (via Twitter).

Rodney, 39, is in the middle of his latest rebound campaign, having posted a sparkling 0.31 ERA with 10.4 K/9, 3.8 BB/9 and a 59 percent ground-ball rate in 28 2/3 innings as San Diego’s closer.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/0...y-marlins.html

- - - - - - - - - -

He has a 92.6% LOB rate!!! That's insane

Really don't like this. Not the move to make and I don't even know who we gave up. I could see Luis Castillo or poteet. If they gave up paddack...

Either way I don't think reliever was that pressing a need for us. This means nothing if we can't get a starter. We could find our impact reliever simply by acquiring a sp and then moving Koehler to the back end of the bullpen.

Comment

please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack please not naylor or paddack

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      Really don't like this. Not the move to make and I don't even know who we gave up. I could see Luis Castillo or poteet. If they gave up paddack...

Either way I don't think reliever was that pressing a need for us. This means nothing if we can't get a starter. We could find our impact reliever simply by acquiring a sp and then moving Koehler to the back end of the bullpen.
      or, they can move Phelps to the rotation
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Phelps in the rotation = Koehler to me. Same with Koehler in the bullpen = phelps in the bullpen. Both guys who can be replacement level starters or impact relievers. Should both be impact relievers

Comment

Mentioned 8 days ago by someone in the Trade Deadline Watch section

A RP to watch from SD is Fernando Rodney. SD actually matches up well with us.

I was told was done but assumed would wait until draft picks were announced so they could include that in the deal however guess they figured might as well. Dont be surprised if u see some IFA cash go there in this deal or a minor deal

- - - - - - - - - -

Also realize we could have had him in the offseason but wouldn't give him a Major League deal

Comment

Really not a fan of this move if we gave up anyone with any significant potential

Comment

Hope it's not Paddack. Don't really care about anyone else in our farm system. Our bullpen is one of the best in the big leagues.

Comment

I'm afraid I see this as the team thinking they can't get in the market for a SP so they will "bolster" the bullpen and hope the starters can get through 5 innings and hand it over to the BP.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                  Hope it's not Paddack. Don't really care about anyone else in our farm system. Our bullpen is one of the best in the big leagues.
                  Is it tho? Ramos is solid but he's also been kind of lucky this year. Love him though and hope he remains the closer. Rodney has been up and down so many times in his big league career.
                  He was designated for assignment as recently as last year. It wouldn't surprise me if he blows up or regresses to his mean here. Barraclogh is good but has issues throwing strikes and phelps is good but not great. Plus we still have Dunn so fuck us.

- - - - - - - - - -

As long as it's not Kolek or paddack I'm cool but I have a really bad feeling about this. The asking price was reportedly high end sp prospects for rodney...

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    Is it tho? Ramos is solid but he's also been kind of lucky this year. Love him though and hope he remains the closer. Rodney has been up and down so many times in his big league career.
                    He was designated for assignment as recently as last year. It wouldn't surprise me if he blows up or regresses to his mean here. Barraclogh is good but has issues throwing strikes and phelps is good but not great. Plus we still have Dunn so fuck us.

- - - - - - - - - -

As long as it's not Kolek or paddack I'm cool but I have a really bad feeling about this. The asking price was reportedly high end sp prospects for rodney...
                    Barraclough/Phelps/Rodney/Ramos is a pretty good four & the other guys aren't that bad. Rodney was designated for assignment last year, but he seemed to revert back to form with the Cubs and carried it forward this year with the Padres. He's gotten somewhat lucky this year, but his advanced metrics are still good.

Ramos isn't really getting lucky. His advanced metrics don't look great because of the walks, but he K's a lot of guys and keeps the ball in the yard, which, at this point in his career, seems like a skill. He's just been difficult to hit.

Barraclough is worse in the sense of his absurd amount of BB's, but he makes up for it with an absurd amount of K's.

Good thing about Rodney is he's good against both righties and lefties when he's on because of his changeup.

Hopefully we didn't give up Paddack, but I'm guessing one of our best prospects is going to SD since they're only getting one player back.

Comment

Bud Norris to the Dodgers so looks like one target gone

Comment

glad norris is off the table

will rodney set up or close?
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Likely going is a Cavaneiro, Lilek, Jacome type of prospect.
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            glad norris is off the table

will rodney set up or close?
                            I think they may move Ramos back to Set Up and make Rodney the closer.

Comment

I doubt they remove Ramos for the closer role.

Comment

Working...
                              X