Trade Deadline Watch 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    What u think teams will just stop asking since because Mike Hill is "adamant". This FO has no clue what the hell they are doing

I am with u I would make DD off limits too but u have to trade something for pitching. Unlike the Dodgers,we can't trade crap for talent with big contracts

U could call SD and try to get Cashner and a RP but what u gonna offer them? Draft Pick,IFA,Urena-they would block our number.
    You know, I'm not saying we have the best front office in baseball, but you just hate them so much. For a FO that has no clue about anything, they've put a pretty good product on the field this year. Part of the reason why the farm system sucks is because we have one of the best young cores in the big leagues right now. It could be better, but it could also be much worse so your front office hate narrative makes no sense at this point.

- - - - - - - - - -

Very true a Phelps(1-3)/Wittgren(4-5)/Ellington(6)/Bearclaw(7)/Rodney(8)/Ramos(9) game might actually be better than Cosart or Nicolino(1-3)/McGowan(4-5)/Dunn(6) We are down 8-0
    Probably your best post ever on this board. Instead of having a 5th starter, we should have a bullpen day every 5 days (until we add a starter at the deadline).

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
      You know, I'm not saying we have the best front office in baseball, but you just hate them so much. For a FO that has no clue about anything, they've put a pretty good product on the field this year. Part of the reason why the farm system sucks is because we have one of the best young cores in the big leagues right now. It could be better, but it could also be much worse so your front office hate narrative makes no sense at this point.

- - - - - - - - - -

Probably your best post ever on this board. Instead of having a 5th starter, we should have a bullpen day every 5 days (until we add a starter at the deadline).
      Not that I hate them but its hard to see teams who spend cash in the IFA market,draft talent to improve while our strategy is sign tons of guys and hope 1 or 2 pan out. The way the draft is set up now is take talent not draft a whole bunch of college seniors and release them next year. Our GCL looks better than it is because we have 23 yr olds playing against 17/18 yr olds

I agree the ML product looks really good but what happens in 3 or 4 yrs? The point of farm systems is to get talent for down the road NOT sign 26 yr old minor league FA and have them become Top 20 prospects.

Comment

Not that I hate them but its hard to see teams who spend cash in the IFA market,draft talent to improve while our strategy is sign tons of guys and hope 1 or 2 pan out. The way the draft is set up now is take talent not draft a whole bunch of college seniors and release them next year. Our GCL looks better than it is because we have 23 yr olds playing against 17/18 yr olds

I agree the ML product looks really good but what happens in 3 or 4 yrs? The point of farm systems is to get talent for down the road NOT sign 26 yr old minor league FA and have them become Top 20 prospects.
        Thats my biggest problem with our organization besides not spending money, even though the two are kind of correlated. We draft so many organization fillers and its ridiculous. We have so many wasted spots in our lineups throughout every minor league team that are taken by guys who don't, and have never, had any hope of panning out at the major league level.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          Thats my biggest problem with our organization besides not spending money, even though the two are kind of correlated. We draft so many organization fillers and its ridiculous. We have so many wasted spots in our lineups throughout every minor league team that are taken by guys who don't, and have never, had any hope of panning out at the major league level.
          If u want to know why we don't draft baseball talent all u have to do is look at Stanton. Jeff got lucky with one guy and now he tries for the Grand Slam in every draft. Instead of drafting solid baseball players(this year different-we actually took guys who are players) he likes guys who are boom or bust. He wants that "superstar". Example is Justin Twine

As for the IFA market,we actually do a pretty solid job of scouting. The issue is instead of signing "proven" guys and getting 4/5 legit prospects to go along with the scouted guys for cheap,he prefers we sign tons of "scouting gems" for cheap and getting 1/2 legit prospects. This used to work out well(Ozuna,Urena) but now teams have 2 DSL teams/2 Rookie ball teams and they need to sign guys to fill those rosters and most can't spend more than 300K per player. So instead of us getting guys for $50,000 who might be lower prospects that teams passed on,those teams are now offering them more cash and leaving us with the very bottom guys. Now a days if a guy signs for less than 300K usually something wrong(only has a glove/only has a FB)

The thing that confuses me is we have the worst system in the league however we have done nothing to improve it. We got maybe 5 guys in the draft and 1 in the IFA market who could be on our Top 30 Prospect list(Worst in the game remember that) and lost 4 from it from trades/waived.

Maybe its because in 2018 we all will get our wish and have a new owner who spends cash and Jeff doesn't wanna waste any of his cash(even tho he just got 120 Million from the league) but u gotta have a solid farm system NOT just guys to fill a roster
          Last edited by tjfla; 07-14-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

FWIW, I've heard they checked in with the Brewers on Garza. Nothing too close there, but it's kind of funny they're targeting guys (Rodney, Garza) that they should have targeted in FA.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
              FWIW, I've heard they checked in with the Brewers on Garza. Nothing too close there, but it's kind of funny they're targeting guys (Rodney, Garza) that they should have targeted in FA.

Garza=$$$$ and Brewers are doing the Anti-Fish thing. They are asking for premium prospects in all deals instead of giving guys away

Seriously tho we have checked in on about 10 arms-TB guys(Archer,Moore,Odorizzi)to Nolasco/Ervin Santana to Rich Hill to Atlanta's vets

A "rumor" that has was mentioned of the AS break was we might float Tom Koehler in a trade to get an arm. Of course other stuff in deals but telling teams they will trade Koehler in deals for a better arm

Will say seems they are getting creative in talks tho. Mentioned Kolek to a few teams even and like was reported no one in the minors is "untouchable"
              Last edited by tjfla; 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Garza=$$$$ and Brewers are doing the Anti-Fish thing. They are asking for premium prospects in all deals instead of giving guys away

Seriously tho we have checked in on about 10 arms-TB guys(Archer,Moore,Odorizzi)to Nolasco/Ervin Santana to Rich Hill to Atlanta's vets

A "rumor" that has was mentioned of the AS break was we might float Tom Koehler in a trade to get an arm. Of course other stuff in deals but telling teams they will trade Koehler in deals for a better arm

Will say seems they are getting creative in talks tho. Mentioned Kolek to a few teams even and like was reported no one in the minors is "untouchable"
                ?????????

How does that make sense for anyone??? Why would another team trade a good arm for a shittier arm (who is on the verge of making significantly more money in all likelihood), and then why would we trade for an arm and then be left in the same situation we're already in, without a 5th starter.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                  ?????????

How does that make sense for anyone??? Why would another team trade a good arm for a shittier arm (who is on the verge of making significantly more money in all likelihood), and then why would we trade for an arm and then be left in the same situation we're already in, without a 5th starter.
                  Because having two 5th starters in the rotation right now.

Comment

Boston just traded for Pomeranz. Apparently Anderson Espinoza is the main piece from Boston. Steep price for pitching this deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                      Because having two 5th starters in the rotation right now.
                      Yeah and they're our 3rd and 4th starters.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                        Boston just traded for Pomeranz. Apparently Anderson Espinoza is the main piece from Boston. Steep price for pitching this deadline.
                        Yep they got Anderson Espinoza for him which means if u want a good controllable arm u better be ready to pay. Espinoza is the #15 prospect in BASEBALL. SD shot for the moon with Pomeranz-reportedly they asked for Profar from Texas

SD might have a crap team this year but have to say Preller knows how to get talent. Cleaned up in the IFA for $40 million,got 2 Solid young arms for guys and had a nice draft. Could see him in Miami

- - - - - - - - - -

Yeah and they're our 3rd and 4th starters.
                        Exactly if u can trade Koehler and pieces for a better arm wouldn't U? People still can't seem to figure out that our system is crap,our #3 Prospect is most teams #20-25 Prospect

If u want quality players u are gonna have to discuss a Koehler/DD/Naylor/Kolek with teams. Unlike us who are happy taking 3 C- Prospects for players most teams are looking for a A/B type and now with the Pomeranz trade that price just went higher

Comment

I just don't see how Koehler has much value. Especially to a team who's in selling mode, he's a 30-year old pitcher on the verge of a significant pay bump.

Comment

I just don't see how Koehler has much value. Especially to a team who's in selling mode, he's a 30-year old pitcher on the verge of a significant pay bump.
                            He really doesn't which is why they are just floating his name to see. He has some value to a few young team. A rebuilding team who still needs an arm for the future.

Comment

With the crazy price for SP,don't be surprised if we revisit Aroldis Chapman as a SP if NYY decide they are sellers.

Frisaro reported we talked to them before we got Rodney and I have heard NYY asked and got the medicals on Carter Capps(remember LY deadline when they tried to get him). Of course they would ask for more and names mentioned were DD,Ellington,Wittgren,Bearclaw

Supposedly tho they want ML guys for next year and NOT 20 yr olds who are 3-4 yrs away tho

Comment

Why would Chapman suddenly be ready to put into the rotation? Leave it to the Marlins to try something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X