Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round 1 | Braxton Garrett | LHP | Florence HS (AL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Todd View Post
    Hey, tjfla was right about something for once.
    ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

We passed on Groome cause of $$ and his JC commit. His price(4 mil+) was above our slot and since he made the JC commitment now had leverage too

Yep Garrett is a Vandy commit and Boras client but talk was 3.5 million or so could get him signed. Our slot is 3.75 so should not be that hard. Garrett is not a bad pick at all-get a good laugh tho about how he should move quickly. Not with us he won't. Knows how to pitch and best curve in draft.

Comment

Sounds like a decent pick. Not a fan of dealing with Boras.

My prediction for him is to be rushed through the minors and then given up on before age 25.

Comment

Talked to a friend of his family today. Said they are wanting 4mil. Seems to think Boras will get it for him.

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
          Talked to a friend of his family today. Said they are wanting 4mil. Seems to think Boras will get it for him.
          No clue if true but if it is this is the problem with our FO. They do zero research when they draft guys. Most teams make "deals" with prospects and they know exactly what they want before they draft them,we draft guys and go from there

His price WAS 3.5 million which is one reason we took him over Groome but guess Boras wants to get him more.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            No clue if true but if it is this is the problem with our FO. They do zero research when they draft guys. Most teams make "deals" with prospects and they know exactly what they want before they draft them,we draft guys and go from there

His price WAS 3.5 million which is one reason we took him over Groome but guess Boras wants to get him more.
            So did they do research or not? You say they didn't do research, but then you say his price was $3.5M.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
              So did they do research or not? You say they didn't do research, but then you say his price was $3.5M.
              The price he was wanted was 3.5 million but with Boras as agent it probably went up. What I am saying is most teams make deals before they even draft a guy. They call and will say will u take this amount if we take u and it is done. This is one reason why lots of 1st Round picks sign fast now. It looks like we heard his number but never made a deal

Comment

I talked to one of his friends today and asked if he was signing or not. He said he isn't sure but if he does it will be a the deadline. He said Brax still hasn't made up his mind.

Comment

I talked to one of his friends today and asked if he was signing or not. He said he isn't sure but if he does it will be a the deadline. He said Brax still hasn't made up his mind.
                  He will sign they are just playing hardball with him($250,000 but still hardball). They have saved 700K already and can go 5% over if they want.

Comment

Honestly hope they don't sign the kid. I never liked the pick anyways. The Marlins will look bad for not doing their research first.

Comment

Honestly hope they don't sign the kid. I never liked the pick anyways. The Marlins will look bad for not doing their research first.
                      They will sign him. He wants $250k more than slot and they already signed Jones so they have enough for him. Fish just playing hardball like usual. One thing about NOT taking talent later in the draft is u don't need the extra cash for them

Comment

I am hating this pick even more now that it looks like Groome is going to sign for 3.75 million from the Red Sox. Man the Marlins really need to start doing their homework on high draft picks. I really don't like this Garrett kid even if he is from my area. I have heard from too many parents with players on his team how they were not so impressed with him and he is not even the best player on that team.

Comment

I am hating this pick even more now that it looks like Groome is going to sign for 3.75 million from the Red Sox. Man the Marlins really need to start doing their homework on high draft picks. I really don't like this Garrett kid even if he is from my area. I have heard from too many parents with players on his team how they were not so impressed with him and he is not even the best player on that team.

What happens when u listen to talk instead of doing homework. "Talk" was Groome wanted 5 million and Garrett wanted 3.5 million. Our slot was 3.75 million-so they went with the Scott Boras advised Garrett who promptly upped his price according to guy on this site to 4 million

Its not like they don't have the cash-according to Mayo we have

$4,145,900 still left in our pool and slot is 3,750,000
                          Last edited by tjfla; 07-14-2016, 07:28 PM.

Comment

By way Groome just signed for 3.65 million and Garrett last unsigned guy.

Looks like he will get signed however "talk" is they are trying to get him to take less so they can sign 13th Rd Pick Nick Eicholtz too

Comment

Garrett signed according to Jon Heyman.

Comment

And the Best Agent Award goes to Scott Boras(AGAIN)

Garrett Signed for $4,145,900 which was Max we could give him

Wanted 3.5 before the draft,reported by someone here he asked for 4 mil during talks and ends up with even more! Another example of FO doing NO homework,Groome who wanted 5 mil before the draft signed for 3.65 mil

Lesson is Don't play chicken with someone who has a Vandy commit and Scott Boras as an agent because in the end your a$$ belongs to them!!

Comment

Working...
                                X