User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 1 | Braxton Garrett | LHP | Florence HS (AL)

flamarlins93
    has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hating this pick even more now that it looks like Groome is going to sign for 3.75 million from the Red Sox. Man the Marlins really need to start doing their homework on high draft picks. I really don't like this Garrett kid even if he is from my area. I have heard from too many parents with players on his team how they were not so impressed with him and he is not even the best player on that team.

tjfla
    has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamarlins93 View Post
    I am hating this pick even more now that it looks like Groome is going to sign for 3.75 million from the Red Sox. Man the Marlins really need to start doing their homework on high draft picks. I really don't like this Garrett kid even if he is from my area. I have heard from too many parents with players on his team how they were not so impressed with him and he is not even the best player on that team.

What happens when u listen to talk instead of doing homework. "Talk" was Groome wanted 5 million and Garrett wanted 3.5 million. Our slot was 3.75 million-so they went with the Scott Boras advised Garrett who promptly upped his price according to guy on this site to 4 million

Its not like they don't have the cash-according to Mayo we have

$4,145,900 still left in our pool and slot is 3,750,000
    Last edited by tjfla; 07-14-2016 at 07:28 PM.

tjfla
    has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By way Groome just signed for 3.65 million and Garrett last unsigned guy.

Looks like he will get signed however "talk" is they are trying to get him to take less so they can sign 13th Rd Pick Nick Eicholtz too

fauowls44
    has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garrett signed according to Jon Heyman.

tjfla
    has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the Best Agent Award goes to Scott Boras(AGAIN)

Garrett Signed for $4,145,900 which was Max we could give him

Wanted 3.5 before the draft,reported by someone here he asked for 4 mil during talks and ends up with even more! Another example of FO doing NO homework,Groome who wanted 5 mil before the draft signed for 3.65 mil

Lesson is Don't play chicken with someone who has a Vandy commit and Scott Boras as an agent because in the end your a$$ belongs to them!!

Who are these f'in guys?

Madman81
    has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sure you were more plugged into the situation the whole way through, internetguy.

sports24/7
    has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Groome didn't fall because of signability, he fell mostly due to makeup concerns. The 4 teams picking after Miami passed on him too, and two of those teams took pitchers.

tjfla
    has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sports24/7 View Post
    Groome didn't fall because of signability, he fell mostly due to makeup concerns. The 4 teams picking after Miami passed on him too, and two of those teams took pitchers.
    Groome fell because he had a 5 million dollar promise from SD and was telling teams that if they wanted to draft him that is what it would take. Yes he had makeup concerns and the fact he committed to a JC too didn't help BUT the primary reason that the Marlins nor the Tigers jumped on him was the price tag

Its like the Daz Cameron the from LY. Houston was telling him that if he made it to #37 they would promise him 4 million(Top 5 cash) so he was telling teams that is what it would take for him to sign. No one gave him it and he fell to #37 and got 4 million

Even tho not as crazy as it used to be,if teams in the Top 3 play cards(Braves this year and Houston LY) right they can have a nice draft and if they are the Fish they have a draft where they blow all the cash on the first guy. Ahh 2014-Injured,Bust and Injured,Can't hit the ball but no worries he can still be a RB in 2 years when he gets released
    Last edited by tjfla; 07-15-2016 at 04:04 PM.

FishTale
    has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
    Groome fell because he had a 5 million dollar promise from SD and was telling teams that if they wanted to draft him that is what it would take. Yes he had makeup concerns and the fact he committed to a JC too didn't help BUT the primary reason that the Marlins nor the Tigers jumped on him was the price tag

Its like the Daz Cameron the from LY. Houston was telling him that if he made it to #37 they would promise him 4 million(Top 5 cash) so he was telling teams that is what it would take for him to sign. No one gave him it and he fell to #37 and got 4 million

Even tho not as crazy as it used to be,if teams in the Top 3 play cards(Braves this year and Houston LY) right they can have a nice draft and if they are the Fish they have a draft where they blow all the cash on the first guy. Ahh 2014-Injured,Bust and Injured,Can't hit the ball but no worries he can still be a RB in 2 years when he gets released
    You have bad intel.

sports24/7
    has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From ESPN:

That's a front-end starter's profile. Groome has fallen this far because high school pitchers are inherently risky and because teams are concerned about his makeup.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/insider/post?id=2785

Jim Callis:

There are murmurs of makeup issues that concern clubs, but from a strict talent standpoint, Groome jumps off the board here.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/183086...ions-analysis/

Maybe his bonus demands played a factor, but from everything I heard the makeup was as important or more important in his fall. Either way, though, let's assume that him telling teams it would take $5M is what scared them off, what other homework could the Marlins have done? That was the price he set. Would you rather they tried to call his bluff and risk losing him, or take a player that some feel will end up being as good or better when it's all said and done? I am critical of the Marlins when they do stupid things, but I have zero issue with taking Garrett where they did.

THE BEST IN THE WORLD

Todd
    is climbing and shit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FishTale View Post
    You have bad intel.
    He has no intel, he just reads MLB Trade Rumors and then comes and tries to pass it off as his own inside information.

People call him out on it all the time and no one is really sure who he is trying to impress.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Who are these f'in guys?

Madman81
    has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE BEST IN THE WORLD

Todd
    is climbing and shit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didnt know that was a thing.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Who are these f'in guys?

Madman81
    has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes sir

tjfla
    has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I didnt know that was a thing.
    Of course its a thing. I post people ignore it and then a week later when its reported by a name guy and posts people act like they had heard it before.

Mentioned we were looking at and in talks with SD about Rodney a week before the trade was made and then Keith Law said it the night before and the thread was made to everyone's amazement

But ya u can peek at my posts just don't tell anyone on the board about it

Erick
    has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course its a thing. I post people ignore it and then a week later when its reported by a name guy and posts people act like they had heard it before.

Mentioned we were looking at and in talks with SD about Rodney a week before the trade was made and then Keith Law said it the night before and the thread was made to everyone's amazement

But ya u can peek at my posts just don't tell anyone on the board about it
    Pretty sure you weren't the first one reporting the Rodney news. Get over yourself.

fish16
    has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty ridiculous we're wasting a half year of possible development for a guy who is considered to be a fast advancing arm. Our handling of pitching prospects is mind boggling.

The People's Admin

HUGG
    is a leader of men.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was annoyed by this at first, but I'd need to know the full reasoning for it. Like if this is a Benedict call because they're working on something, I'm totally fine with it.

fish16
    has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HUGG View Post
    I was annoyed by this at first, but I'd need to know the full reasoning for it. Like if this is a Benedict call because they're working on something, I'm totally fine with it.
    can we stop acting like this guy is some sort of prophet. If he is a good pitcher developer, that's nice, but we need to stop rationalizing every decision as OK just because this guy is in our organization.

The People's Admin's Admin

emkayseven
    loves hugg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's kind of good (supposedly)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

The People's Admin

HUGG
    is a leader of men.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean he totally rebuilt Gerrit Cole after they drafted him, so it's not out of the question. All I'm saying

tjfla
    has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fish16 View Post
    can we stop acting like this guy is some sort of prophet. If he is a good pitcher developer, that's nice, but we need to stop rationalizing every decision as OK just because this guy is in our organization.
    Well he is the first stop as soon as we get an arm in the system so and he also reportedly taught Tyler Kolek how to throw a strike before who blew his arm out. If u watched any of Kolek 2 years ago that might actually make Benedict a prophet because Kolek looked terrible

fish16
    has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he is the first stop as soon as we get an arm in the system so and he also reportedly taught Tyler Kolek how to throw a strike before who blew his arm out. If u watched any of Kolek 2 years ago that might actually make Benedict a prophet because Kolek looked terrible
    So he might be a prophet because he turned a guy who couldn't throw strikes into a guy who can't throw period?

eHe-Cha-Varia

Namaste
    has no status.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Tommy John next week?

The People's Admin's Admin

emkayseven
    loves hugg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah probably. Shocker. A first round pick of ours throws 15 innings and then gets injured.

We suck at drafting so much

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssp...w-ailment/amp/
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!