No announcement yet.

5/26 - 6/1 Minor League Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Telis is the backup catcher, he's not an impact bat off the bench because you dont use your backup catcher as a pinch hitter unless absolutely necessary. He'd play once a week, just like Mathis.

Also, while I like Telis, his ceiling is pretty much universally considered backup catcher. It'll be interesting to see if he sustains his improved walk rate (he has 11 already, walked 19 times all of last year). There's not much pop in his bat, he's probably a sub .100 iso guy in the bigs. Before this season he looked like a guy who would hit an empty .275 every year, like a Hechavarria 14/15 slash line. We'll see if the walks maintain.

He's only 24, so it's entirely possible he's just improved. And the fact he's only 24 is another reason I don't get what the rush is. Mathis is fine as a once a week backup, a mentor to young pitchers and Realmuto. If JT gets hurt, Telis will be the starter. I'd like to see Mathis transition into a role in the coaching staff next season, but I imagine he'll still want to play.

Comment

That's why I like him in the Johnson spot. Put Mathis down to third string catcher.

Comment

For the Luis Castillo lovers

“We’ve seen 101 (mph),” high Class A Jupiter pitching coach Jeremy Powell said. “He routinely reaches 100 and averages 96-97 every time out.”

Rather have that as a AA Closer who could help our pen later in the year but I guess as long as he looks good as a Starter we might as well try it out
        Last edited by tjfla; 05-30-2016, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
          If Telis is the backup catcher, he's not an impact bat off the bench because you dont use your backup catcher as a pinch hitter unless absolutely necessary. He'd play once a week, just like Mathis.

Also, while I like Telis, his ceiling is pretty much universally considered backup catcher. It'll be interesting to see if he sustains his improved walk rate (he has 11 already, walked 19 times all of last year). There's not much pop in his bat, he's probably a sub .100 iso guy in the bigs. Before this season he looked like a guy who would hit an empty .275 every year, like a Hechavarria 14/15 slash line. We'll see if the walks maintain.

He's only 24, so it's entirely possible he's just improved. And the fact he's only 24 is another reason I don't get what the rush is. Mathis is fine as a once a week backup, a mentor to young pitchers and Realmuto. If JT gets hurt, Telis will be the starter. I'd like to see Mathis transition into a role in the coaching staff next season, but I imagine he'll still want to play.
          I was saying if I'm a manager I use my backup catcher as a pinch hitter a lot more often. If Realmuto were to get hurt late in a game after Telis had already pinch hit I wouldn't freak out, it would only be for a few more innings and then they can figure it out the next day. The benefits of a better hitter pinch hitting late in the game is worth the risk of the off chance our starting catcher gets hurt late in a game.

Comment

5/30

AAA New Orleans: T, 2-2 (game ended early due to rain...won't count in standings but stats will count)

Andino: 1-2
            Hood: 1-2, SB
            Corporan: 1-2, R, 2B, K
            Galloway: 1-2, R, HR (4), 2 RBI, K
            Clemens: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HRA

AA Jacksonville: Idle

A+ Jupiter: Idle

A Greensboro: W, 4-3 (10 Innings)

Seymour: 0-5, R, RBI, 2 K
            Sullivan: 1-5, 2 R, 2B, K
            Naylor: 1-4, R, BB, K, SB
            I.Soto: 1-5, 2 RBI, K, SB
            Twine: 0-2, 2 BB
            Tissenbaum: 1-3, R, BB
            Castellanos: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
            Holmes: W, 3 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HRA

Comment

I see Brian Anderson has been promoted to Jacksonville. Hope he can continue his strong season there. He has a chance to become a legit INF prospect.

Comment

Minor league transactions last week for the Fish:

RHP Manuel Heredia was signed (another international signing?), as was C Carlos Corporan. Also: 2B Garrett Weber, who was released by the Rangers on May 20. Originally a 22nd round pick by the Diamondbacks in 2011, he had 80 at-bats with AA Frisco this year, hitting .288 with a homer and 10 RBIs. Just two of his 23 hits went for extra bases.

On the other end of the spectrum, RHP Matt Milroy was released. An 11th round pick in 2012, Milroy climbed as high as A+ last year, where he was 6-2 with a 3.25 ERA in 36 games. He struck out 124 at two levels in 2014 but hadn't pitched this season. Also cut was OF Yuniel Ramirez. He hit just .185 at Jupiter this year in 108 at-bats.

Comment

At the Suns game tonight. Dave Berg just blew a gasket and got ejected. Kicked dirt all over home plate.

- - - - - - - - - -

Anderson just had a really nice AB and drove in a run
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Wrong Thread.

Comment

Originally posted by geemoney View Post
                      Minor league transactions last week for the Fish:

RHP Manuel Heredia was signed (another international signing?), as was C Carlos Corporan. Also: 2B Garrett Weber, who was released by the Rangers on May 20. Originally a 22nd round pick by the Diamondbacks in 2011, he had 80 at-bats with AA Frisco this year, hitting .288 with a homer and 10 RBIs. Just two of his 23 hits went for extra bases.

On the other end of the spectrum, RHP Matt Milroy was released. An 11th round pick in 2012, Milroy climbed as high as A+ last year, where he was 6-2 with a 3.25 ERA in 36 games. He struck out 124 at two levels in 2014 but hadn't pitched this season. Also cut was OF Yuniel Ramirez. He hit just .185 at Jupiter this year in 108 at-bats.
                      Milroy like most was lost in our system,looked solid as a RP.Has a nice fastball actually however every time they tried to make him a SP he looked like crap. I just thats what happens when u don't have control,walks add up over 5 innings and

Alot of these guys u never heard of are IFA guys who signed cheap,are usually already 18+ and were probably found in a tryout camp. The "big" name 16 or 17 yr olds don't sign until July 2/3

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      At the Suns game tonight. Dave Berg just blew a gasket and got ejected. Kicked dirt all over home plate.

- - - - - - - - - -

Anderson just had a really nice AB and drove in a run
                      2 months to late for Anderson in Jax but he should do well up there. Alot easier to hit up there and his confidence must be pretty high

Avery Romero was sent down to Jupiter(Never good went bat is your ticket and u can't hit) and is at 3B with Schales at 2B still

Talking about 2 months to late,Chris Paddack with another great start in GBoro went 5 innings with 7K

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                        Wrong Thread.
                        Is it?

Austin Dean with two no doubt homers tonight
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          Is it?

Austin Dean with two no doubt homers tonight
                          My post was the wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                            Milroy like most was lost in our system,looked solid as a RP.Has a nice fastball actually however every time they tried to make him a SP he looked like crap. I just thats what happens when u don't have control,walks add up over 5 innings and

Alot of these guys u never heard of are IFA guys who signed cheap,are usually already 18+ and were probably found in a tryout camp. The "big" name 16 or 17 yr olds don't sign until July 2/3

- - - - - - - - - -

2 months to late for Anderson in Jax but he should do well up there. Alot easier to hit up there and his confidence must be pretty high

Avery Romero was sent down to Jupiter(Never good went bat is your ticket and u can't hit) and is at 3B with Schales at 2B still

Talking about 2 months to late,Chris Paddack with another great start in GBoro went 5 innings with 7K
                            Don't know if it was 2 months too late for Anderson. I think Jupiter was a mental hurdle he needed to clear. Being able to have a .300 season there isn't something that easily happens. Now that he's done well there he should do well in Jacksonville in due time.

A few of our pitchers have been impressive this year. Not "Top 100 prospect next year" impressive for any of them but definitely some of those guys have futures with the big league squad.

Comment

5/31

AAA New Orleans: L, 1-0

Nola: 2-4, K
                              Andino: 1-4, K
                              Hood: 1-4, 2B, K
                              Juengel: 1-3, 2B, K
                              Axelrod: 5 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 4 K
                              Nappo: L, 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
                              Ege: 1 IP, 1 K

AA Jacksonville: W, 6-4

Y.Perez: 2-5, R, 3B, K
                              Dean: 2-5, 2 R, 2 HR (6), 3 RBI, K
                              Sierra: 3-3, 3 R, 2 2B, BB
                              Anderson: 1-3, RBI, BB
                              Curley: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K
                              Mooney: 2-4, K
                              Mazza: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HRA
                              Chaffee: W, 1.2 IP
                              T.Kinley: SV, 1 IP, 2 H, 2 K

A+ Jupiter: W, 5-0

J.Sosa: 0-3, RBI, BB, 2 K
                              Romero: 1-4, RBI, K
                              Norwood: 1-3, R, 2B, BB, K, SB
                              Kjerstad: 2-4, 2B, RBI, K
                              Haynal: 1-3, R, RBI, K
                              Hoo: 2-4, 2 R, 2B
                              Schales: 2-4, RBI, SB
                              Brigham: W, 5 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 7 K
                              J.Adames: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K

A Greensboro: W, 3-0

Seymour: 1-4
                              Naylor: 1-4, R, HR (7), RBI, 2 K
                              Twine: 1-4, K
                              Dunbar: 1-4, R, HR (1), RBI
                              Barrett: 3-4, RBI
                              Paddack: W, 5 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 7 K
                              Lilek: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K
                              Squier: SV, 1 IP, 2 K

Comment

6/1

AAA New Orleans: L, 3-2

Wilson: 0-2, R, BB, 2 SB
                                Andino: 1-4, 3 K, SB
                                Juengel: 2-2, R, HR (3), 2 RBI, 2 BB
                                Shoemaker: 0-4, 3 K
                                Narveson: L, 5.2 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
                                Ellington: 2 IP, 1 H, 4 K

AA Jacksonville: Game Postponed (Game One - Makeup of 5/17 Postponement)

AA Jacksonville: W, 7-4 (Game Two)

Y.Perez: 1-5, RBI, K
                                Sierra: 1-4, R, HR (7), RBI
                                Anderson: 0-1, R, 3 BB
                                Mooney: 2-4, 2 R, 2B
                                Curley: 4-4, 3 R, 2B, 3B, HR (1), 4 RBI (looks like he hit for the cycle)
                                Arcia: 2-2
                                Maron: 1-3, 2B, RBI, K
                                Esch: 4 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
                                Bremer: W, 3 IP, 2 H, 2 K
                                Donatello: SV, 2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 K

A+ Jupiter: L, 8-3 (14 Innings)

Mitchell: 2-5, R, BB, CS
                                Ard: 2-6, 2 K
                                Haynal: 1-5, R, RBI, BB, 2 K
                                Schales: 2-5, CS
                                Hoo: 1-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 K
                                Peters: 5 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
                                Fisher: 3 IP, 1 K
                                Lyman: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 K
                                Jose: L, 1.2 IP, 5 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 K

A Greensboro: L, 8-5

Garrett: 2-3, R, BB, K
                                Naylor: 1-4, 2B, RBI, BB
                                Twine: 1-3, 2 R, 2B, BB, K
                                Tissenbaum: 1-4, 2 RBI
                                A.Reyes: 0-3, RBI
                                Farnworth: L, 4.1 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 2 HRA
                                Meyer: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K

Comment

Working...
                                X