March/April MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March/April MLB Discussion Thread

Totally off-topic, but what do you guys think of Goose Gossage's tirade against Jose Bautista and Baseball in general? I feel like he's of course completely wrong about batter celebration "disgracing the game". Seriously people need to lighten up, it's a game it's supposed to be fun, but on the other-hand I do think not allowing the players to police the game has hurt the game. If you didn't like the guy's HR celebration, I think it's dumb, but he should be allowed to throw at a guy without fear of an immediate long suspension. It's kind of a weird thing, the old-school guys want to take emotion out of the game by getting rid of these celebrations, and new-school folks want to get rid of the emotion of bad blood and the self-policing of the game. I say keep it all in there, the game would be much more fun and interesting for it. Get rid of the stupid play at the plate rules, I agree with him there, those rules have been a disaster, a play at the plate is in my opinion the most exciting thing in sports, don't mess with something that's perfect. Yeah it's an injury-risk, but you're playing a sport for a living and being paid millions of dollars, there's somethings you just deal with. His statement about "nerds" ruining the game is just idiotic. Sabremetrics and advanced stats is one of the best things that's ever happened to baseball, and while other sports are trying to catch up with their own advanced stats, it's not stuck like it has in baseball, and it's one of the things that makes baseball stand out from the other sports.

Anyway, just read that ESPN article, and had to get my thoughts down.

The article is here: http://espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/story...ining-baseball

Originally posted by marlins1a View Post
    Hey, new guy here.
    I'm not quite sure how to handle this.

- - - - - - - - - -

God dammit we're not even in April and the shit is already hitting the fan. And also fuck Goose Gossage. Baseball is going to die unless we have star players who look like they enjoy the game. It's not hurting anyone when Jose Bautista celebrates for hitting a huge home run. Quite the opposite. I didn't care one way or another in that series against the Rangers and I still go back and watch that video because it gives me chills every time. It's cool so let's stop trying to take the fun out of baseball please.

Comment

The unwritten rules ruin baseball.

Comment

long retired players complaining about a game they haven't played in decades is stupid. these guys are just happy to have an audience at this stage in their lives. oscar robertson just did the same dumb shit as far as the nba is concerned. we should just pat them on their curmudgeonly heads and move on.

Comment

Yeah who really gives a fok about Goose Gossage?

Comment

What do you guys think of the ending of that Rays/Blue Jays game? I'm not sure about this new slide rule at 2nd, but in my eyes this wasn't a normal take-out slide that you'd see even in years past. Bautista literally grabbed the guys foot, clearly intentional. I feel like that would be interference even without this new rule.

Comment

I'm 100% with you
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Trevor Story has HRs in his first four games than Ben Revere does in his career

Comment

Yeah I didn't know the Rockies had Babe Ruth playing SS this year.

Comment

In 123 games for Miami, Saltalamacchia had 12 homeruns. In 4 games with Detroit this year he already has 2 home runs, including a grand slam tonight.
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                    X