• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins, Dee Gordon Agree to 5-year, $50 Million Extension

Per Rosenthal and Frisaro

6th year vesting option at $14m

Marlins, Dee Gordon Agree to 5-year, $50 Million Extension

The Marlins and second baseman Dee Gordon are in agreement on a five-year extension that will pay the reigning National League batting champion $50MM, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link). The contract also contains a $14MM vesting option for a sixth season, Rosenthal adds. Presumably, the deal is pending a physical. Gordon is a client of the Beverly Hills Sports Council.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/0...ee-gordon.html

Comment

This is a shockingly reasonable contract
      poop

Comment

Unbelievable

way cheaper than I thought he'd sign for
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

It's definitely reasonable, but I always hate locking guys down after career years, especially when it doesn't seem sustainable. I honestly would've rather gone year to year with Dee and see if the constant hitting was a long term thing or just a flash in the pan, even if it means potentially paying him more money down the line.

Comment

Yeah, except we didn't pay him at a rate that his career year would have called for.

He could regress to a 2 WAR player and this deal is fine.

Comment

I'm a fan of this. I don't think going year to year would save any money and if he has another first half like last year and the team is in the cellar he is an incredible trade asset.

Comment

this is fantastic.

there has to be a soul-crushing move coming soon to reset things, right?

Comment

I think all soul crushing moves are on hold until the deadline and right after the 2017 All Star game.

Comment

that seems like a really, really long time for this franchise to keep its shit together.

Comment

Option vests with 600PA in 2020 or 1200PA in 19/20 combined

Comment

I highly doubt the options will end up vesting.

Comment

I'm with Dim. I'm not against it, but I'm not excited. It's okay. I think looking at the AAV is not a good idea because of arbitration...I'm guessing 5-7-10-14-14? So we're not really saving anything in arbitration and 14m is probably what to expect for a good defensive, speedy slap hitter.

So overall, I'm mostly just excited we didn't overpay.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                          I highly doubt the options will end up vesting.
                          That part is a pretty good job by the Marlins. He's only getting that if he's still leading off at that point. If he regresses and you gotta drop him to the 8 spot, he's not hitting that.

Comment

MLBTR had him projected at $25-27m for the arb years, so $11.5-12.5m for 2 FA years

Comment

5-7-10 is a big arbitration win. Most places had him pegged to eclipse $10m in year 2.

Like Hugg said, even if he regresses, for someone his age with his speed and defense it's a market fair price.
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X