Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does the Team Need to Contend for a Playoff Spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
    They needed two SP's a righty platoon mate for Bour and another bench bat. So far they've gotten one SP and the platoon guy. Need another SP and a bench bat.

Gallardo would be a good fit. Then deal Koehler for a guy that can mash and play the corners.

- - - - - - - - - -

Jose/Chen/Gallardo/Cosart/Conley-Urena-Jax is a NL playoff rotation. Maybe not a division winner, but 85-88 wins assuming they boost the bench.
    The bench right now is Ichiro/Dietrich/Rojas/Johnson/Mathis. Who do you replace?

I agree they need another bench bat (I'd say two), but they signed their sins reupping Ichiro and Mathis. You need Dietrich for LH pop, Rojas for SS, and Johnson for platooning.

You could argue you don't need Rojas and have Dee shift over, but Rojas was very solid last year.

Meanwhile, they re-up guys who combined for nearly -2 WAR last year. Jesus.

- - - - - - - - - -

But yeah, one more SP and we're pretty good to go. Jose/Chen/FA and letting Koehler, Conley, Urena, Nicolino, Jackson, Phelps, Flores, whoever the fuck else compete for the last two spots is fine. Then our rotation would be fine, our line up would be fine, our bullpen would be good, and our bench would suck. So something like mid-80's getting another good rotation piece.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
    Fister would be an amazing one year stop gap guy, Cosart needs to have prove himself next season with arbitration coming up, and I really liked what I saw from Conley last season. I think Koehler and Phelps are better served out of the bullpen.
    I agree but if they're not in the rotation they should likely be traded. Combined 6m right there.

We're currently at about 65m payroll including Salty's deadweight. If they don't go above 70m, trading those two guys gives us about 11m to work with. Trade dunn and we're looking at nearly 15m. All that replaceable parts that don't need to be here.

Comment

Teams were hot after Dunn and we do have guys to replace him if we deal him

Don't forget Mattingly routinely used Rojas when he had his as a defensive replacement. While Rojas is nothing great,always good to have a guy who can play the IF

Comment

I'm not that concerned with the bench. They can all be replaced in June if need be for low costs. I think Dietrich, Rojas, and Johnson will be acceptable. Ichiro is really the only issue for me. Mathis is whatever and they probably have his replacement in AAA with Telis.

Definitely need another SP. Fister, Gallardo, or Kennedy gets them to July 20th which is all that matters. Having Koehler, Cosart, Phelps, E. Jackson, Nicolino, Conley, Urena, Barraclough, and Ellington for 2 SP and 3 RP spots is pretty ok to me.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
          The bench right now is Ichiro/Dietrich/Rojas/Johnson/Mathis. Who do you replace?

I agree they need another bench bat (I'd say two), but they signed their sins reupping Ichiro and Mathis. You need Dietrich for LH pop, Rojas for SS, and Johnson for platooning.

You could argue you don't need Rojas and have Dee shift over, but Rojas was very solid last year.

Meanwhile, they re-up guys who combined for nearly -2 WAR last year. Jesus.

- - - - - - - - - -

But yeah, one more SP and we're pretty good to go. Jose/Chen/FA and letting Koehler, Conley, Urena, Nicolino, Jackson, Phelps, Flores, whoever the fuck else compete for the last two spots is fine. Then our rotation would be fine, our line up would be fine, our bullpen would be good, and our bench would suck. So something like mid-80's getting another good rotation piece.

- - - - - - - - - -

I agree but if they're not in the rotation they should likely be traded. Combined 6m right there.

We're currently at about 65m payroll including Salty's deadweight. If they don't go above 70m, trading those two guys gives us about 11m to work with. Trade dunn and we're looking at nearly 15m. All that replaceable parts that don't need to be here.
          They won't do it, but Ichiro's the logical guy to get released if they need a spot. Mathis is whatever. Dietrich could probably be easily upgraded too.

Comment

nny, I think you're spot on with everything you've said in this thread except the Deitrich part.

I don't think Deitrich and his .802 OPS (250 AB's) is easily replaced. I could totally be wrong, though.

Comment

That was swift saying that, I agree with you. I'd personally start him over Bour but it's also whatever.

Also, I was wrong about how much $ we ahve to spend because I didn't realize Chen got a signing bonus of 8m. So at this point they're at nearly 75m. I doubt another SP is happening.

Comment

Dietrich will get plenty of ABs. Resting guys at multiple spots plus the 70 games Stanton will miss

Comment

My bad. That was swift.

Anyway, I wonder how much of a factor Lincecum's nagging hip injury played into his loss of velocity. I made fun of the Marlins probably Marlining and signing Lincecum but I wonder if he's worth taking a flyer on.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    My bad. That was swift.

Anyway, I wonder how much of a factor Lincecum's nagging hip injury played into his loss of velocity. I made fun of the Marlins probably Marlining and signing Lincecum but I wonder if he's worth taking a flyer on.
                    Yeah I would have had a problem with signing Lincecum if he were the only SP we signed this winter, but now that we signed Chen, it looks like a relatively solid idea. That being said, if we are going the reclamation project route, I'd rather take a chance on Fister. At least he was really good as recent as 2014.

Comment

Article on ESPN right now that brings up a good point. With 6 teams in the NL tanking this season (including 2 in our own division: Braves and Phillies, and also Reds, Padres, Brewers, and Rockies), there are 5 playoff spots for 9 teams.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Did the Padres fire sale and I missed it? I mean, I know they weren't good last year, but neither were we.

Comment

This offseason they've traded Gyorko, Kimbrel, Alonso, and Benoit, and let Upton and Kennedy walk.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

No chance Kennedy and Upton go back?

I forgot about the Kimbrel trade. Gyorko and Alonso aren't good players.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                              Article on ESPN right now that brings up a good point. With 6 teams in the NL tanking this season (including 2 in our own division: Braves and Phillies, and also Reds, Padres, Brewers, and Rockies), there are 5 playoff spots for 9 teams.

Comment

If the Marlins did what the Braves are doing this off season and in 2016 people would lose their minds.

Comment

Working...
                                X