No announcement yet.

Marlins and Fox Sports Florida Drop Tommy Hutton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was starting to write that about starting an RSN...but...

1) The Dolphins wouldn't be able to join.
    2) The Heat have a lucrative 10-year deal with Sun Sports in place.

Can't imagine a Marlins-only RSN doing well, nor a Marlins/Panthers RSN.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Hutton sucked. I've bitched about him for years and I'm glad he's gone.

Shoulda been handled better though.

Comment

I honestly thought I was the only person on here that liked Rich and Tommy. I just felt like every time they were on TV everyone complained about how bad they were. Guess you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post

Sums up my feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
            I honestly thought I was the only person on here that liked Rich and Tommy. I just felt like every time they were on TV everyone complained about how bad they were. Guess you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.
            And this sums up mine.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post

This is how I feel.

It's idiotic that after almost 2 decades the team lets a well-liked and well-respected member go like that. It's more of the same.

Had they decided to go in another direction at the end of the season, and allowed Tommy to say goodbye on air (the way Joe Angel did when they canned him), fine.

Had they decided to go in another direction shortly after the end of the offseason and said they want to bring in a new face, a younger take, etc., fine.

But to do it two months into the offseason (which likely kills his chances at another job next year) and with no explanation is ridiculous.

I'm glad he's gone too, because his yelling and ranting and old school views were awful. But the Marlins' handling of it is terrible. Mick Mouse level.
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

I liked his ranting and raving, I thought it was funny But I can certainly see how it'd annoy other people. I also haven't watched much in the past several years so maybe he's gotten more annoying.

I didn't think about MK's third point. This isn't just a Marlins move, it's a Fox and Marlins move. So either Fox wanted him gone too for the younger guy, or this is part of the negotiations and Marlins are losing something else elsewhere. Who actually signs their checks, Fox or the Marlins?

Also, in the one game I saw with Preston Wilson, I realllllly did not like him. It might just be because it's change and different but he was boring af

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                  I really wish i could just stop liking this team. I try to watch other teams but just cant. Loria has just ruined it all. I wish they would force him to sell. Again only my wildest dreams.
                  Can we start a petition? Lol.

Originally posted by Party View Post
                  Kind of incredible that Rich Waltz has been here 11 years. Seems like just yesterday everyone flipped out that Len Kasper left. I'm truly disappointed that Tommy won't be on TV anymore. His rants became frequent and were not something I remembered 5-6 years ago, but he's probably as frustrated as many of us have been.

I don't see what cost cutting measures would do at this point. It only invites more intervention from the Commissioner's office. These jokers can't honestly say they have a plan in place, like Houston did, to justify huge margins while being on MLB welfare. At some point the other clubs would protest, which I'm sure they have. I think this has to do with his on-air persona more than anything else.
                  Well, there was the article a couple weeks ago saying teams weren't happy with the Marlins getting the most revenue sharing...

Originally posted by Party View Post
                  The league would have to approve it anyways. Frank McCourt tried the same shit with the Dodgers and MLB stepped in. Maybe that's what they should do to get the ball rolling on a forced sale.
                  It'd be nice if they did, but I don't think we should hold out hope for that, though with Manfred now at the helm, maybe he's not as "ok" with Loria as Selig was?

Originally posted by nny View Post
                  I liked his ranting and raving, I thought it was funny But I can certainly see how it'd annoy other people. I also haven't watched much in the past several years so maybe he's gotten more annoying.

I didn't think about MK's third point. This isn't just a Marlins move, it's a Fox and Marlins move. So either Fox wanted him gone too for the younger guy, or this is part of the negotiations and Marlins are losing something else elsewhere. Who actually signs their checks, Fox or the Marlins?

Also, in the one game I saw with Preston Wilson, I realllllly did not like him. It might just be because it's change and different but he was boring af
                  Yeah, I mean it's seemed to me as someone else also said, that they've been grooming replacements the last few years with all of the added 'analysts' on the broadcasts (Conine, Pavano, Wilson, etc). I agree, though, Preston Wilson wasn't exactly exciting. I will say, it did seem like Tommy was ranting more often than he used to as of late. But that can also be echoed as a fan, with frustration building up from how bad the team has been the last forever years now.

Comment

Fox writes their checks.

I've gotta think that for whatever reason, it has to do with the new contract being worked out.

- - - - - - - - - -

"Players would go back and forth between the dugout and clubhouse just to hear what Tommy was saying," one source told me.

The Miami Marlins and Fox Sports Florida advised Tommy Hutton that his contract would not be renewed, a story first reported by Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. Hutton told Jackson, as well as talk-show host Dan Le Batard on 790 WAXY, he wasn't offered a real explanation as to why he was dismissed.

"All I got was we've made a decision to go in another direction," Hutton told the Miami Herald.

The exact reason as to why Hutton will not be returning is still unknown.

However, through multiple team sources, I've learned surprising details that add to the circus in the Marlins clubhouse I first reported on last week.

During my weekday radio show on 940 WINZ and iHeartRadio, I noted the following details Tuesday afternoon:

Via multiple sources, I was told this past Marlins season was the absolute worst when it came to complaints.

After games, on numerous occasions throughout the season, players would go up to team PR staff and owner Jeffrey Loria complaining about what Hutton said during the telecast.

"Players would have their wife, girlfriend, family member, and even friends texting them things Tommy said," another source added.

There were also certain incidents where Loria wasn't happy with Hutton. Loria didn't like it when Hutton would talk too much about another team's player, another source told me. "Anytime (Hutton) would bring up a ballpark flaw, Loria would be very upset," the source said.

The complaints against Hutton happened at Marlins Park, on the road, and even on the team plane, I was told.

Did the players and coaches complaints, along with Loria's partial unhappiness in some of Hutton's remarks cause his dismissal? That's something we don't know.

Here's something I do know, though. Hutton should not have been fired -- and that's the truth.
                    http://slaterscoops.com/news/2015/11/24/tommy-hutton-fired-marlins-players-coaches-couldnt-handle-the-truth

Comment

A Ballpark flaw? I can't think of an example of what they're talking about. He would comment on the lack of attendance all the time, but I can't think of an instance where he complained about the park.

lol Loria didn't like when he talked about another team's player too much. This is freaking kindergarten. Can you imagine if real businesses were run like the Marlins are run?
                      Last edited by Nick; 11-24-2015, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                        A Ballpark flaw? I can't think of an example of what they're talking about. He would comment on the lack of attendance all the time, but I can't think of an instance where he complained about the park.

lol Loria didn't like when he talked about another team's player too much. This is freaking kindergarten. Can you imagine if real business were run like the Marlins are run?
                        didn't watch much last year, but my guess is complaining about the dimensions suppressing home runs

Comment

Jeez. A lot of speculation and what I think is blowing things out of proportion. I feel bad for the guy, don't like when people lose jobs. I did not enjoy his work. But still, Rich Waltz.

Comment

Most of these players won't be on major league rosters in a few years so they won't have to worry about hearing complaints about their performance.

Comment

I don't believe a lot Slater reports about the Marlins. Feels like he has one source tell him something and he runs with it without verifying.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                didn't watch much last year, but my guess is complaining about the dimensions suppressing home runs
                                They're changing that themselves anyway.

I don't recall him mentioning any glaring flaws with the ballpark either.

Comment

Working...
                                X