Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins to Leave Scott Boras Out of Jose Fernandez Workload Discussions

Good GOD this ownership group is dumb.

Because this is really what will get a longterm deal done...pissing off the superstar's powerful agent.

The Miami Marlins' feud with agent Scott Boras escalated Wednesday, and the team said he'll be left out of any future talks regarding aceJose Fernandez's workload.

Team president David Samson pledged to exclude Boras after the agent complained about the Marlins' handling of another one of his clients, outfielderMarcell Ozuna. The dispute perhaps reduces the already slim likelihood the Marlins will sign Fernandez to a long-term contract.

An exchange of barbs began with Boras criticizing the Marlins for demoting Ozuna to Triple-A last season when he was in a 1-for-36 slump. The comments brought an angry response from Samson.

"My strong suggestion to Mr. Boras is that instead of resting on his 5 percent that he collects from his stable of players, he write a check and buy a team," Samson said. "Then he would have the opportunity to run a team that he claims to be so able to do. Until that time, he is in no position to comment how any Major League Baseball team is operated."

Boras, speaking at the general managers' meetings in Boca Raton, questioned the Marlins' motivation for sending Ozuna to the minors. The lost service time prevented Ozuna from becoming eligible for salary arbitration this offseason.

"He's a lifetime .265 hitter, and I can find you 30 players in the major leagues that went 1 for 36 some time in their career, and they did not get sent to the minor leagues," Boras said. "When you do those things, it sends a message to players, sends a message to the locker room and sends a message to everyone that looks at the organization that there is a calculus going on that is beyond performance."

Samson responded: "Every decision we make is based on the best interests of the team, and always has been."

Ozuna is believed to be on the trading block.

Fernandez returned in July from Tommy John surgery. Boras was outspoken this year regarding the Mets' use of pitcher Matt Harvey, another client who was coming back from Tommy John surgery.

The Marlins don't plan to consult Boras regarding how they use Fernandez in 2016.

"He will not be involved in any discussion as it relates to Jose Fernandez," Samson said. "We will be in touch with the doctors and Jose as we formulate a plan."
    Fernandez, who made $651,000 in 2015, is arbitration-eligible for the first time this offseason. He can become a free agent after the 2018 season.
    The right-hander rejected a multiyear offer before the season, Samson said. But Samson didn't rule out the possibility of a long-term deal, despite the dispute with Boras.
    "We don't even think about that," Samson said. "If we make an offer on a long-term contract, Jose can say yes or no."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...a-negotiations
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Imagine if he took his 5% and bought the Fish. No Jeff or that midger Samson

Ozuna,Cosart,Jose gonna be a fun next few years

Best part is tho when Boras cries about it. Everyone knows that the Marlins are cheap and will save cash when then can. Why bitch about it?

Comment

Imagine thinking we were ever gonna be able to sign him.

Comment

It's crazy that the notoriously stingy Marlins and the "milk every dollar possible" Boras wouldn't be able to get along when it comes to contract negotiations.

Pretty sure we're going to hear Jose's name in trade talks a lot around 2018. Luckily, that's still a bit away (and it's cool that we lost a year of Jose so he could pitch those first two weeks in that 100 loss 2013 season, but that's another discussion).

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Imagine if he took his 5% and bought the Fish. No Jeff or that midger Samson

Ozuna,Cosart,Jose gonna be a fun next few years

Best part is tho when Boras cries about it. Everyone knows that the Marlins are cheap and will save cash when then can. Why bitch about it?
        Because that's his job. It paints the Marlins in an incredibly bad light and builds public sympathy for his clients. Boras knows he's likely to get more on the open market than he is negotiating with the Marlins brass anyway. If this isn't going to be a salary negotiations battle, he might as well wage a public relations battle as he knows his clients will come out on the winning end of that given the Marlins reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
          (and it's cool that we lost a year of Jose so he could pitch those first two weeks in that 100 loss 2013 season, but that's another discussion).
          It's really not because if they did do that, they would have more time to deal with Boras. It's just the constant reminder of how poorly they run the team. It's really amazing a team that cries poverty would do something like that, when the high market Cubs won't even do it for Bryant. Clowns.

Comment

Why can't Samson just shut his mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
              Why can't Samson just shut his mouth?
              He loves the sound of his fucking nasally diarrhea of the mouth.

Comment

Via reporter Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Fernandez said:

"I don't know what all this is all about, but Scott Boras will be there because he's my agent, and I decide who is going to be on my phone calls on my conference. It's that simple."
                http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...nt-scott-boras

Comment

A (very) little bit more:

Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez says any conversations regarding his 2016 workload will include agent Scott Boras, contrary to what the team has said.

Marlins president David Samson last week pledged to exclude Boras after the agent complained about the Marlins' handling of another Boras client, outfielder Marcell Ozuna, who is believed to be on the trading block.

Fernandez's innings will be closely watched in 2016, as they were this year after he returned in July from Tommy John surgery. He said his surgeon and the team doctor also will be involved in discussions regarding how he's used, as they have been in the past.

"I do not know what all this is all about, but Scott Boras will be there, because he's my agent," Fernandez said Friday. "I get to decide who is going to be on my phone calls. It's that simple."

Fernandez made his comments at a team community event at Marlins Park, where he handed out Thanksgiving turkeys.

The feud between the team and Boras reduces the already-slim chance the Marlins will sign Fernandez to a long-term contract. The spat has also stirred speculation the Marlins might trade Fernandez this offseason, but he said he expects to pitch for Miami in 2016.

"I'm looking forward to being with my teammates and winning some ballgames, get ready to go to spring training healthy and have a nice long year with the boys," he said. "Hopefully we get the opportunity to win the World Series. That's the main goal."

Fernandez, who made $651,000 in 2015, is arbitration-eligible for the first time this offseason. The right-hander rejected a multiyear offer before the 2015 season, Samson has said, and can become a free agent after the 2018 season.

Boras also was outspoken this year regarding the New York Mets' use of pitcher Matt Harvey, another client who was coming back from Tommy John surgery.
                  http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...rlins-workload
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

You know Fernandez thinks the FO are a bunch of fucking boobs. But he'll still give 110% on the mound cause he's Jose.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      You know Fernandez thinks the FO are a bunch of fucking boobs.
                      I love how the Marlins think he's got an attitude problem but in reality it's just that Jose knows that FO sucks.

Comment

did we discredit the reports of him acting like a boob, though? isn't it possible that everyone involved is a dick?

Comment

For more than a week now, we’ve heard reports about how Jose Fernandez ticks off his Marlins teammates with his attitude and is disrespectful toward his bosses.

I’m not buying it.

I’ve spoken with four people connected to the Marlins in the past several days, all of whom had knowledge of Fernandez’s conduct in the clubhouse last season. I granted all of them anonymity with the goal of eliciting honest assessments. The worst anyone said about Fernandez is that at times, he acts like he’s 23.

If anything, my sources said, Fernandez was more receptive last season than in the past to veterans pointing out his youthful mistakes. Yes, he squawked about money in spring training after rejecting an extension from the Marlins. But he eventually grew close with veteran infielder Martin Prado, one of the game’s great professionals, and for the most part endeared himself to teammates, showing greater maturity.

Is Fernandez outspoken at times when he perceives his superiors are not handling matters properly? Yes. Can he be high-strung and emotional, even come off as arrogant and cocky? Absolutely. But is he disruptive enough for the Marlins to justify trading him? No, from what I was told. He is not a problem.

If the Marlins want to move Fernandez because they fear he will break down physically, fine. If they want to maximize his trade value when he is under club control for three more years, fine again. But the rest is just silliness, and frankly — because it’s the Marlins, and Fernandez is represented by enemy-of-the-state Scott Boras — I wonder whether some of this is a campaign to cushion the blow for the pitcher’s eventual departure.

The Marlins’ disdain for Boras — emanating, according to sources, from owner Jeffrey Loria — is rather evident. We saw it in the team’s curious demotion last season of outfielder Marcell Ozuna, a Boras client. We heard it in club president David Samson’s recent suggestion that if Boras wants input on club matters, he should buy a team.

A lot of teams grow frustrated dealing with Boras, but good luck building a roster without any of his clients. Likewise, good luck finding star players who lack high-octane, ego-driven personalities. Fernandez burns to be great, wants to win. He isn’t necessarily quiet about it. But he plays for a franchise that too often is preoccupied with matters that have little to do with putting a championship team on the field.

Maybe that will change under new manager Don Mattingly. Maybe Fernandez will develop into even more of a professional while playing for one of the game’s most respected figures. Or maybe 2016 will just be another season of Stupid Marlins Tricks, during which Fernandez, Giancarlo Stanton and the rest will have every right to state their displeasure.

Oh, I don’t doubt that Fernandez has ticked off a player or two, and an executive or two as well. A 25-man clubhouse rarely operates in complete harmony; teammates occasionally will wear on one another’s nerves over the course of 162 games.

Flare-ups are inevitable. But context is important. I’m guessing that some of the Marlins’ younger players are jealous of Fernandez. I’m guessing that some of his superiors take offense at the outspoken nature of a 23-year-old kid.

That’s what Fernandez is — a kid. A kid who, like most other kids, will occasionally screw up and require a reprimand. But Fernandez, by all accounts, is also a ferocious competitor who wants only the best for both himself and his team.

Come to think of it, maybe the Marlins should trade him. I’m starting to sense that we never will hear the truth about Fernandez as a pitcher and teammate until he escapes the circus that is Miami.
                          http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/j...s-trade-112215

Comment

duh

Comment

Ouch

Comment

Working...
                              X