Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mish broke something big Marlins related not too long ago, right...?

Was it the Gordon trade?

Comment

• Trading Jose for a massive return would be kinda smart. But will also kill them. And they'll fuck up the return.

Comment

• you can justify it in purely baseball terms if you accept as your premise that they will never be able to sign him long-term and he is a big injury risk. I think both of those assumptions are reasonable to make. Especially, if you take the really cynical take that fans will always come back to a winner, you can justify it.

I don't think that assumption is true in South Florida with this franchise. I don't think fans are going to come back unless they are consistently winning for years anyways, but I think trading Jose poisons the well entirely. I don't think there would be any way to come back from that. I don't think the fan base will ever be able to stomach another Cabrera trade, especially not if it's Jose.

but i guess if you think the fan base is so far gone that nothing can make it worse, and you can just operate based on what the best baseball decision is, then sure. whatever.
        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-17-2015, 04:43 PM.
        poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          you can justify it in purely baseball terms if you accept as your premise that they will never be able to sign him long-term and he is a big injury risk. I think both of those assumptions are reasonable to make. Especially, if you take the really cynical take that fans will always come back to a winner, you can justify it.

I don't think that assumption is true in South Florida with this franchise. I don't think fans are going to come back unless they are consistently winning for years anyways, but I think trading Jose poisons the well entirely. I don't think there would be any way to come back from that. I don't think the fan base will ever be able to stomach another Cabrera trade, especially not if it's Jose.

but i guess if you think the fan base is so far gone that nothing can make it worse, and you can just operate based on what the best baseball decision is, then sure. whatever.
          Trading him can make sense given how barren the system is and trading Jose would certainly bring back a ton. I can see him eventually getting dealt, but I can't see it being now. Not when you have the All Star game next year and are trying to negotiate both a new TV deal and a naming rights deal. Plus, you have him under team control for the next 3 seasons. Maybe I'm wrong, but when something like this is "leaked", you always have to consider the source and this seems like an angry agent throwing this out there to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            5 MLS teams had a higher average attendance than the Marlins in 2015 and another 8 MLS teams were within 2K of the Marlins.

It's highly likely the Miami MLS team has a higher average attendance than the Marlins.
            drawing from the same base of sports fans who don't come to marlins games? how do you figure?

5 of those teams drawing worse than the marlins play in one of the 7 MSAs bigger than miami's.

Comment

• Brandon Crawford just got a 6/75 deal from the Giants. Think that figure would be a bit more realistic for Adeiny than Andrus's number.
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                Brandon Crawford just got a 6/75 deal from the Giants. Think that figure would be a bit more realistic for Adeiny than Andrus's number.
                I still think it is way off. Crawford has 2, 2.3, 3.1, and 4.7 WAR seasons in a row, ages 24-27

Hech is -2.2, .2, and 3 WAR seasons in a row, ages 24-26. Crawford has basically 6 more WAR in years 24-26.

That is still a massive disparity even if their age 26 seasons are similar. Hech needs to prove it. Crawford has had an acceptable 2 WAR floor for 4 years now which is pretty OK to mitigate risk. Maybe Hech would comp close to the Crawford deal if he has a magnificent Gordon level 2016.

Right now, I think it's half the Crawford money over 5-6 seasons, and that's probably generous. I see no reason to sign him unless its very club beneficial based on how low his arbitration is going to be. Further, if he is great in 2016, you can still likely give him something below Crawford which would be fine if he learns how to hit and the defense is real.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                you can justify it in purely baseball terms if you accept as your premise that they will never be able to sign him long-term and he is a big injury risk. I think both of those assumptions are reasonable to make. Especially, if you take the really cynical take that fans will always come back to a winner, you can justify it.

It poisons the well unless they got back a Machado, Bryant, Correa, maybe Betts, Arenado, or a Seager/Urias/Puig package, etc. I think such a scenario is insane for real baseball as those are fantasy baseball type trades. It's really hard to justify in baseball terms moving a starting pitcher of his calibre, who is cheap for 3 years, when the rest of the organization is full of # 4 SP. They'd not only have to get an insane play now player mentioned above, but then also devote serious FA money to another SP.

Just can't see this one. But we'll see. The freak out would be fun to watch though seeing Stanton, the rest of the team, opposing players, Boras, MLBPA, commissioner's office, other owners, etc. all blasting Loria.

Comment

• Oh I agree, I wouldn't sign Hech at that number, but I think it's a more realistic comp. There are a few other factors at play, namely that he's already gotten paid in his career (so isn't as motivated to "secure his future" or whatever) and that you basically have to overpay if you're Miami.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• It will be cheaper to just ride Hech through arb. Same with Gordon. Don't just give guys long-term deals for the sake of long-term deals. Identify the players who still have upside, who are cheaper now, and who want to be here. Yelich was a great signing. Giving that deal to Hech would not be.

Comment

• Gordon is going to be quite expensive in arbitration. It may be worth to give him a 6 year deal if we assume a 2.5 WAR is the average year moving forward. He'd get something close to Crawford which isn't all that bad.

Comment

• WSVN asked Samson about Jose and his response was he's under contract for three more years and we hope it's longer than that.

Comment

• I said 2 weeks ago that Philly mentioned Ken Giles in a deal for Ozuna. Which we said NO(They really want a SP for him). Well now it looks like we might reconsider it

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal ยท 20m20 minutes ago
                          #Astros, #Marlins among teams to check in on Giles,sources say. #Phillies also could wait until July or next off-season to move him.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://slaterscoops.com/news/2015/11...rcus-literally

Nice story on why Jeff Baker was released,why Hits prolly wont be back and why the Jose "rumors" are around

- - - - - - - - - -

I wonder if Mattingly knows about Jeff's hoodie rule? Let the kid be cocky as hell and win Cy Young's. This FO gets worse by the week-Jeff needs to control everything. Do what all the other owners do- WRITE CHECKS AND SIT IN YOUR SEAT
                          Last edited by tjfla; 11-19-2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Straight up?

If the team really wants to trade Ozuna, they would be foolish to reject Giles. He's basically everything I was saying about Chapman except even better because he's younger, cheaper, and doesn't even reach arbitration until 2018.

They should just say yes right now.

Then again, there's no way the Phillies would do this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                              Straight up?

If the team really wants to trade Ozuna, they would be foolish to reject Giles. He's basically everything I was saying about Chapman except even better because he's younger, cheaper, and doesn't even reach arbitration until 2018.

They should just say yes right now.

Then again, there's no way the Phillies would do this.
                              No clue about the deal,I heard the Phillies called on Ozuna and mentioned Ken Giles in the deal. We said NO because we wanted a SP for him but this was few weeks ago.

Probably a bigger package-all I know is Phillies called on Ozuna

Just hope Philly media doesn't start with the "rumors". When the Stanton rumors were going on they spent like a week talking about how Dominic Brown and prospects could get him. HAHAHA

Comment

• Man imagine getting a young everyday CF for a guy who throws 70 innings.

Wish we had traded Cishek when he was good.

Comment

Working...
                                X