This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Oh man, I just got nostalgic for the big-head avatar pictures we used to have at T&B.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          Why do you keep on bringing up Prado in LF, man? He doesn't have value if he's not in the infield and we don't have any other suitable candidates at 3B.
          Why do u keep on thinking thats my opinion? Shit I would try to extend him for another year or 2 and keep him at 3B for 162 games. I am saying what the FO has been talking about.

What I wanna be bringing up is keep Ozuna and have Yelich/Ozuna/Stanton BUT the FO has other plans!!

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Why do u keep on thinking thats my opinion? Shit I would try to extend him for another year or 2 and keep him at 3B for 162 games. I am saying what the FO has been talking about.
            Our FO is dumb, but that is just nonsensical. You need to have a replacement at 3rd Base if you're going to move Prado, and we don't. It would be a lot easier to find someone who can play LF to fill-in for Ozuna if he's traded than it would be to find a 3rd Baseman to fill-in for Prado if he's inexplicably moved to LF. I know it's shocking to call bullshit on tjfla for his insider info on this site, but I have to on this one.

Comment

If the Marlins move Ozuna, they'll have Dietrich play everyday in LF with Ichiro getting spot starts. I think that's pretty obvious. Putting Prado at LF is just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                If the Marlins move Ozuna, they'll have Dietrich play everyday in LF with Ichiro getting spot starts. I think that's pretty obvious. Putting Prado at LF is just dumb.
                Can you put something dumb past our front office?

Comment

Trading Ozuna is dumb. That's the kinda dumb we'll get and we can live with. Playing Prado in LF is an extra level of dumb that I would put past our FO.

Comment

I'm legit excited to see how they fuck this winter up.

I'm not so far gone that I will pretend good stuff is bad (for example, they've made some legitimately good hires for the FO already...but will they really use them), but I'm ready to make fun of the dumb shit

Comment

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                      Trading Ozuna is dumb. That's the kinda dumb we'll get and we can live with. Playing Prado in LF is an extra level of dumb that I would put past our FO.
                      It depends what you can get for Ozuna. If you can get Carlos Carrasco (which they probably won't), then trading him isn't so dumb.

- - - - - - - - - -

P.S. Is this thread deleting the first few posts for anyone else? Every time I click the thread, the first several posts disappear after a few seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                        It depends what you can get for Ozuna. If you can get Carlos Carrasco (which they probably won't), then trading him isn't so dumb.

- - - - - - - - - -

P.S. Is this thread deleting the first few posts for anyone else? Every time I click the thread, the first several posts disappear after a few seconds.
                        I've noticed that on multiple threads for a while now. I just figured it was because I'm on my phone and had something to do with the auto refresh/live update thing the site has not working well on the phone. Don't know if you're on a computer though.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                          I've been on the Zimmermann/Samardzija bandwagon for a while and don't plan to get off. Like lou said, Samardzija moving to the National League seems like a nice risk to take and could pay huge dividends if he reverts to even 75% of the pitcher he was with the Cubs. He still strikes out people at a good rate and has the ability to go deep into games even on his bad days. Always have to be scared of the home run total, but if we maintain even a little of how pitcher friendly dimensions next year, that and the move to the NL should see his numbers return to a mid 3 ERA level (at least hopefully). Zimmermann is hugely consistent, putting up basically 200 IP the last four years and hasn't posted above a 3.66 ERA (which was this year, giving us a potential top tier pitcher at his "lowest" value). Really disappointed to see they view Zimmermann as a top tier pitcher they can't afford, as I feel he's in the lower end of that top tier, which is exactly the kind of guy we need if they really want to compete. Zimmermann is 29 and Samardzija 30, meaning we'd be grabbing both guys at what should be the peak end of their career. I would bank on Zimmermann having four really good years in him, and Samardzija is the perfect "throw a 1 year, $10-15 million heavily incentive laden contract" kind of guy who would want to prove himself. We'd look to get a great year out of Samardzija, and he'd want to put up a low 3 ERA season and make bank with a playoff team next offseason.

I still feel this is the best course of action, but things get a lot more tricky if the team is looking to just grab two pitchers in the middle tier area (guys in Lincecum territory). If they're hoping to grab those guys for cheap and hope they outperform their abilities, we're likely in for another sub .500 season. There's no doubt given the team's budget limitations, they're going to have to grab one guy from the middle tier range and hope he plays over his head next year (Samardzija in my scenario), but they need a #2 pitcher (which has to be Zimmermann territory) given the uncertain status of Alvarez. I honestly have no idea who our #2 pitcher is right now after Fernandez without Alvarez starting the year. Is it Nicolino? Because if it is, god help us.

- - - - - - - - - -

In my opinion, trading away both the mixture of bombing on Latos, trading away Heaney/Desclafani, not drafting Rodon, and the huge pile of Conley/Urena/Flores/Nicolino/etc... not establishing themselves at the end of last season as guys who could potentially be #3 options next season; all of these missteps and miscalculations has really given this team no choice but to spend on that Zimmermann range pitcher if they actually want to win next year. The lineup can get by for next season if everybody plays to or above expectations (although trading Ozuna creates an unnecessary hole), but the rotation is such a mess that if the team accidentally picks up another Latos free agent pitcher, this team has no chance of competing. The farm system is so thin that there is absolutely no room for error/injury in either the starting rotation or starting lineup. I honestly believe the team needs a near perfect offseason to become a playoff team next year. I'm usually all for finding underrated values, but at least one pitcher this team needs to spend.
                          Didn't you like Nicolino about a month and a half ago?

Comment

I just loved him continuing to put up good numbers for his entire career when peripherals said he should've failed at some point. I've defended Nicolino and still do, to the extent that I think he could be a #3/4 starter for some time in the rotation. That's a nice role, especially since he can go deep into starts.

That being said, our rotation without Alvarez to start next year looks like...
                            1. Fernandez
                            2. ?
                            3. Cosart
                            4. Koehler
                            5. Nicolino/Conley/Flores/etc...

That isn't a good rotation. Even if Nicolino can post a high 3 ERA next season, I'm still not building a playoff run around these pitchers. Can't be putting out question marks in the rotation when your starting lineup is middle of the road like ours is. Truth of the matter is we need at least a Zimmermann, and more likely another guy to take a chance on in the rotation.

Comment

maybe just me but I feel Conley impressed quite a bit. Definitely more than Nicolino.
                              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                                maybe just me but I feel Conley impressed quite a bit. Definitely more than Nicolino.
                                Yeah I agree. Solid peripherals and a MUCH better strikeout rate. I actually think he can be decent.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by dim View Post
                                I just loved him continuing to put up good numbers for his entire career when peripherals said he should've failed at some point. I've defended Nicolino and still do, to the extent that I think he could be a #3/4 starter for some time in the rotation. That's a nice role, especially since he can go deep into starts.

That being said, our rotation without Alvarez to start next year looks like...
                                1. Fernandez
                                2. ?
                                3. Cosart
                                4. Koehler
                                5. Nicolino/Conley/Flores/etc...

That isn't a good rotation. Even if Nicolino can post a high 3 ERA next season, I'm still not building a playoff run around these pitchers. Can't be putting out question marks in the rotation when your starting lineup is middle of the road like ours is. Truth of the matter is we need at least a Zimmermann, and more likely another guy to take a chance on in the rotation.
                                I highly, highly doubt they are going to go into next season with that staff. They will surely make a signing or trade somewhere. I'm not saying it will be Zimmermann, but they'll get someone. I don't even think they would stand pat if Alvarez were going to be healthy; let alone him likely missing the start of 2016.

Comment

Working...
                                X