This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins

Before signing Wei-Yin Chen to a five-year, $80 million deal earlier this week and reaching a five-year, $50 million extension with second baseman Dee Gordon on Wednesday, the Marlins had done nothing of substance to their roster. Their inclusion here is not a celebration of the Chen signing (though I do think a pitcher who has generally held his own in the AL East should live comfortably in the National League version).

No, this is a celebration of the Marlins -- to this point, at least -- not doing anything dramatic and drastic, on either end of the spectrum.

The Fish kept the asking price on staff ace Jose Fernandez so unrealistically high that there's little accuracy in saying he was "on the market" in the first place. And why not set the bar high? Fernandez will -- or at least should -- be on an innings cap in 2016 in his first full season following Tommy John surgery, but he's still very much on the upward escalator when it comes to establishing himself as a legitimate ace in this game, and dealing him three years in advance of his free-agent date ought to come with a truly overwhelming return. The Marlins have not let any potential consternation with Fernandez or his agent, Scott Boras, compel them to make a less-than-satisfactory swap.

Nor have the Marlins moved Marcell Ozuna, another Boras guy, despite the decidedly icy relationship caused by the Marlins' manipulation of his service time last season. Despite the big league struggles that prompted his surprise demotion to Triple-A last summer, a 25-year-old center fielder with power is tremendous currency in this game, and the Marlins -- again, to this point -- haven't moved him for the sake of moving him. Rather, they brought in Barry Bonds -- whose knowledge has a value that far exceeds any unnecessary hand-wringing over his PED past -- to help Ozuna reach his full potential.

Basically, what I'm saying here is that the Marlins haven't done anything crazy with a club that has a lot of good young talent. There has not been an ill-fated, 2012-like splurge, nor has there been a rebuild-signaling series of swaps. Having addressed some instability in their front office and in their dugout, where Don Mattingly now reigns, the Marlins have made moves and non-moves purely on their baseball merits. What a concept.

The Marlins probably still need to do more. Their rotation is full of uncertainty beyond Fernandez and Chen. The NL East figures to be a forgiving division this year, but you can hardly label the Fish a favorite at this juncture.

What you can say, however, is that they haven't been noisemakers or newsmakers on the Hot Stove scene. And given recent organizational history in this area, that's probably a good thing.
    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...dbpr=595667888

Comment

• Here are the Invites to ST.

Narveson is among the 13 free agents. The others are right-handers Dylan Axelrod, Paul Clemens and Dustin McGowan; lefty Troy Patton; catchers Francisco Arcia and Adrian Nieto; infielder Robert Andino; first basemen Dan Black and Xavier Scruggs; plus outfielders Destin Hood, Justin Maxwell and Kenny Wilson.

From within the organization, the Marlins are giving Spring Training opportunities to left-hander Cody Ege; catcher Sharif Othman; infielders Austin Nola, J.T. Riddle and Brady Shoemaker; and outfielders Isaac Galloway and Yefri Perez.

Comment

• Marlins/Jose Fernandez have agreed to a $2.8MM salary that can reach $3MM via his incentives, tweets Yahoo’s Jeff Passan.

Comment

• Fister wants 2/22

We are said to be at 1 yr still with a team option for 2nd yr.

Comment

• Marlins closer A.J. Ramos will get $3.4MM in his , Heyman reports (Twitter links).

Teammate Adeiny Hechavarria, meanwhile, will take down $2.625MM.

Comment

• $1.35m for Morris
              $2.5m for Phelps
              $3.5m for Koehler
              Capps signed too, but can't find a number

Honestly amazed we avoided arbitration with everyone.

- - - - - - - - - -

There will be few jobs open. Barring trades or injuries, the 13 position players may already be set for Opening Day.

The starters are: RF Giancarlo Stanton, CF Marcell Ozuna, LF Christian Yelich, 1B Justin Bour, 2B Dee Gordon, SS Hechavarria, 3B Martin Prado, C J.T. Realmuto.

Bench: OF Ichiro Suzuki, 3B/1B Chris Johnson, INF/OF Derek Dietrich, INF Miguel Rojas, C Jeff Mathis.

Most of the intrigue and intense competition will be on the pitching staff.

Fernandez, Chen and Jarred Cosart head the rotation, with a scramble for the other two spots among Koehler, Justin Nicolino, Adam Conley, Edwin Jackson, Brad Hand and Phelps. Some of them may end up as relievers.

Along with Ramos, Capps and Morris, leading bullpen candidates include right-handers Kyle Barraclough and Brian Ellington, and lefties Mike Dunn and Raudel Lazo.
              http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/fl-miami-marlins-fernandez-0116-20160115-story.html

My prediction (barring injury) is a rotation of Fernandez, Chen, Koehler, Cosart, Phelps/Jackson with a bullpen of Ramos, Capps, Morris, Dunn, winner of Barraclough/Ellington battle, Phelps/Jackson, Hand

Nicolino and Conley start the season at the top of the New Orleans rotation

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                $1.35m for Morris
                $2.5m for Phelps
                $3.5m for Koehler
                Capps signed too, but can't find a number

Honestly amazed we avoided arbitration with everyone.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...115-story.html

My prediction (barring injury) is a rotation of Fernandez, Chen, Koehler, Cosart, Phelps/Jackson with a bullpen of Ramos, Capps, Morris, Dunn, winner of Barraclough/Ellington battle, Phelps/Jackson, Hand

Nicolino and Conley start the season at the top of the New Orleans rotation
                I hope you're wrong on two fronts:

1 more SP (Fister?) and Jackson and Phelps in pen
                Conley second lefty

Comment

• Adding Fister makes this team a playoff contender.

Adding Fister makes too much sense.

The team as it is now is a Loria team.

The team as it is now will tease us just enough to give us hope only to win 83 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    Adding Fister makes this team a playoff contender.

The team as it is now will tease us just enough to give us hope only to win 83 games.
                    83 wins, with a really good September which will make the FO think the team is better than they actually are and we'll see no significant moves going into 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      Adding Fister makes this team a playoff contender.

For what it's worth, Fister was no better last year than the current options in our rotation. If he wants more than a 1-year deal, I'd pass.

Comment

• I'd be willing to throw 2 years at Fister. $22 million isn't a big investment and most of the Marlins current contracts don't start getting big for another four or five years, so we can afford the contract without a huge raise in payroll.

The question becomes whether Loria is willing to pay $11 million a year for what will end up as a #3 starter with #2 potential. I'm fine with them trying to make it a 1 year deal with the team option in year 2, giving the team a chance to see how he performs first.

The biggest thing to worry about with Fister is the rapid decline in strikeouts signaling that his stuff just isn't there anymore.

But if that second year becomes a make or break thing, I feel the Marlins should cave and give him that offer. There's enough upside and very little risk in a 2 year deal. It's similar to the risk we took on Latos last year, except with Fister we're not giving anybody up to take that chance. If Fister can return to a mid 3 ERA pitcher, he could be the difference between being a contender and being a .500 team.

Comment

• The fact the payroll is about to explode is exactly why I dislike giving him a two year deal. We might really need that money next year and these two years are the team's main competitive window. Don't need more deadweight like Salty this year.

He actually had a bad FIP the year before last, combined with his bad year last year and the fact his FB velocity is tanking fast, it's a pass for me in terms of a two year deal. Definitely worth the risk for one but it would really hurt us next year if he continues his downward trend.

Comment

• I don't really like Fister much more than our other options.
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I would be fine with Fister, but I really don't get the fixation with him. For the reasons mentioned.

Comment

• I think Fister more or less pegs the over/under at 84. I don't think that's a playoff contender. It still takes a few things braking right, which is where this roster is, more or less, as long as Stanton, Jose, and to a lesser extent, Yelich and Gordon are healthy.

If Capps / Ramos / Morris / Dunn is the back end, a workhorse starter isn't the concern, it's a strikeout guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X