X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Pelfrey and Chris Young

championship time

Comment

### Talk about forgive and forget: When the Marlins fired Brad Arnsberg as pitching coach in 2003, he told owner Jeffrey Loria to “shut the [expletive] up" and shouted expletives at Loria and then-GM Larry Beinfest as they left his apartment. His behavior was “unprofessional, abusive and bordering on violent,” Beinfest said.

Now, the Marlins have talked about hiring Arnsberg (who works as a rehab coordinator for the Diamondbacks) for a job, though they said last week that it will not be for the position of big-league pitching coach.

### The Marlins like Giants free agent pitcher Mike Leake but worry the bidding might get too high. Free agency started Saturday, incidentally... Miami’s free agents: Jeff Mathis, Casey McGehee and Don Kelly. Mathis remains a possibility to return because of his strong defense and the way he handles the pitching staff.

### The Marlins will explore making a multi-year offer to second baseman Dee Gordon, the National League’s batting and stolen base champ, and Gordon said he would be receptive because “I love it here –-- the ballpark, the coaches, the staff.” He isn’t eligible for free agency until after 2019.

### The Marlins are less optimistic about signing shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, who declined their overtures last winter but remains under control through 2018. The Marlins were led to believe he wants a contract approaching the eight-year, $120 million deal that Texas gave Elvis Aldrus
      http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...rlins-cha.html

Comment

Instead of trading Ozuna for pitching, they should sell high on Hech and get a good pitcher for him.

Comment

Hechy, I've been on your bandwagon for awhile now and I have defended you against even your harshest critics but you aren't even good enough to get half of that Andrus contract.

Comment

He's (probably) better than the guy who got that contract though

Comment

Well that was one of the worst contracts ever so...

Comment

Edit:

I didn't see someone else post that. Thanks shitty internet.

Good luck with that Hech.

Comment

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                  Well that was one of the worst contracts ever so...
                  Of course it was. But, I mean, that'd be my starting point too if I was his agent.

Especially when signing with this particular franchise.

But then you work from there and see where it goes. At least if you're normally run franchises.

- - - - - - - - - -

On the other hand, considering this is the Marlins, I really don't see why we would even be sure this story is true. The Marlins leaking that a player asked for something ridiculous to justify why they haven't and won't sign him...that'd NEVER happen.

Comment

It's the Marlins' own doing. They've spent so long hyping him up as better than he is that now he's able to pretend he's that good.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Andrus also had 3.2, 2.1, 4, and 3.9 WAR seasons before that extension, at younger years than Hech. Kind of surprising Andrus is only 8 months older than him. Hech is -2.2, .2, 3

Hech should run to sign a 5/$35+ deal, which is a bit off from $120. He's probably going to make $15-17 in arbitration ($3-5-7 plus change) the next 3 years and if the Marlins guarantee him another $20 million that's pretty good. Hell, he should be happy with 4/$25+ to lock in the arbitration years. One bad year for a guy like him is a DFA. That's settle down for life money plus a new deal at age 31-32 which isn't that old so he could maybe get another deal that size if he holds up.

I agree, why wouldn't you throw the Andrus number out if you are the agent, but at the same time, it is so absurd how can that even be a starting point? I mean, Gordon can maybe use that comp. Gordon's a pretty strong 3.2, 4.6 WAR last two years. Still not Andrus 4 year track record at younger ages than Gordon.

I think unless Hech signs a very club beneficial 4-5 year deal, you take him to arbitration for 3 years. This doesn't seem like a hard decision. He's not breaking the bank in arbitration. And if he does, that means he hits 20 HR next year and no one is going to be pissed about paying him then.

Silly stuff. 2 SP, guy who can hit lefties, trade Koehler, Dunn, and Hand for younger lefties in AA, and if Gordon will sign a solid deal, go for it.

Comment

Minnesota got the high bid on the Korean 1B and if they sign him Sano will go to 3B. Maybe we hear the name Trevor Plouffe again? I doubt it because of the price but a RHB who can play 3B/1B and has pop. They are always looking for young pitching

Not sure Koehler gets dealt till later in the year since Alvarez is hurt and the rest of the rotation is still iffy

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                        It's the Marlins' own doing. They've spent so long hyping him up as better than he is that now he's able to pretend he's that good.
                        Hech needs no hype-NL Gold Glover and according to broadcasters Best Glove in baseball!! Now that he hits over ,250 he is the best HAHA. Seriously tho this is why teams should try to sign guys early. Do what Houston and these teams have been doing with IFA/Cubans-rather pay a guy 6/24 and him be crap then wait 3 years and all of a sudden he thinks he is the Best SS in the league and wants 6/120

Miguel Rojas 3rd Best SS Glove in Baseball/Austin Nola/Elliot Soto are all waiting in the wings. I know none of them would hit over .200 and all 3 are like 26 already

Maybe JT Riddle shows he can keep hitting AAA next year? He has looked pretty solid in the AFL so far(Likely another UT type tho)
                        Last edited by tjfla; 11-09-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

You also have to factor in that Hechavarria has already made $14 million so the motivation to sign a deal isn't the same as for other players with his service time.

Signed a 4y/$10m deal that took him through 2013. Marlins renewed him at $2.2m in 14, made $1.95m this year.

Comment

that's only like 10 bucks after taxes, though. thanks obama.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                              You also have to factor in that Hechavarria has already made $14 million so the motivation to sign a deal isn't the same as for other players with his service time.

Signed a 4y/$10m deal that took him through 2013. Marlins renewed him at $2.2m in 14, made $1.95m this year.

Good point. If he runs through arbitration, he probably makes close to $25 million all in. Not so shabby.

Why not gamble on yourself and be a free agent at 30 at that point? Don't hate the reasoning there.

Either way, Marlins shouldn't break the bank on him. I don't think anyone disputes.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Why do u keep on thinking thats my opinion? Shit I would try to extend him for another year or 2 and keep him at 3B for 162 games. I am saying what the FO has been talking about.

What I wanna be bringing up is keep Ozuna and have Yelich/Ozuna/Stanton BUT the FO has other plans!!
                                Because you have no fucking clue what the FO is thinking and everything you post is nonsense that you try to push off as "inside information"?
                                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X