Marlins Dismiss GM/Manager Hybrid Dan Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Dismiss GM/Manager Hybrid Dan Jennings

hursday 6 p.m. update: The Marlins have dismissed general manager Dan Jennings, according to sources, and are not immediately naming a replacement.Jennings, who left his front office position to replace Mike Redmond in May and guided the team to a 55-69 record, was told in September that he would not return as manager, even though he wanted to.
    Jennings, 55, was offered a job to return to his previous role as the team's general manager and accepted. But days before he was set to return to work on Oct. 19, Jennings was told to remain in Alabama and not to return to the Marlins offices.
    Jennings had questions about his level of authority and responsibilities and president David Samson told Jennings that he needed to speak to owner Jeffrey Loria before returning. But that conversation with Loria apparently never happened, and the Marlins decided to part ways with him Thursday.
    Samson made the decision to fire Jennings, according to a source. It's believed the Marlins thought the dynamics of the front office would be better without Jennings, whose once strong relationship with Loria soured during his time as manager.
    The Marlins must pay Jennings through the end of the 2018 season.
    It's a surprising conclusion to Jennings' 13-year tenure with the organization. After serving as assistant GM, Jenning was promoted to GM in September 2013 and was second in command in the baseball front office hierarchy, behind Hill. He gave up GM duties to become manager in May.
    Michael Hill will remain the team's president/baseball operations. Besides Hill, Loria also is listening to several others in his front office, including assistant general manager Mike Berger, vice president/player personnel Jeff McAvoy and Marc Delpiano, who was hired away from the Pittsburgh Pirates in August for a job essentially running the team's farm system.
    Jennings did not immediately respond to a call seeking comment.
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...ing-miami.html
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

This move literally means nothing.

Comment

Whats larger the managers and dead weight contracts we are paying? Or the payroll we will throw out there opening day?

Comment

lololololololololaughingstock

Comment

i wonder if mike hill ever gets tired of sucking loria's pecker. sounds like that's the only way to hang around.

Comment

From 2013-2018, the Marlins will end up paying Redmond, Guillen and Jennings roughly $16 million.

Or more than the amount of cash they received from the Dodgers and Yankees in their trades this offseason.

Mick. Mouse.
            poop

Comment

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals have hired former Miami Marlins manager and general manager Dan Jennings as a special assistant to GM Mike Rizzo.

The Nationals announced the move Friday.

Jennings will work on Washington's scouting operations.

He was fired in October by the Marlins, a team he had worked for since 2002.

Jennings had been Miami's general manager, then took over as manager in May, becoming the first big league manager with no experience in that job or as a player in the majors since Atlanta Braves owner Ted Turner managed his team for one game in 1977. Jennings was 55-69 as manager.

Before working for the Marlins, Jennings was Tampa Bay's director of scouting.
              http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...elp-mike-rizzo

Who had Jennings getting a job before Beinfest?
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...elp-mike-rizzo

Who had Jennings getting a job before Beinfest?
                Isn't he still pretty well regarded?

Plus, we don't know if Beinfest wanted to take a "special assistant" position, and we do know he interviewed for a few GM openings this offseason after not hearing anything about him since his firing here, so I don't think it's that crazy that Jennings got something before Beinfest. He'll be part of a real organization now.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd call Washington a real organization at this point in time

Comment

Why not? (I'm legitimately asking)

And even then, when comparing them to the circus/clown show Marlins?

Comment

I mean...

They had a closer drafted and developed by their own team who they forced out of the closer role not once but twice despite pretty good results.

They had a player choke one of the top 2 players in baseball in the dugout on live TV.

The player who did the choking was suspended, but the MLBPA filed a grievance. Regardless, the team traded away their only other closer option and verbally committed to keeping him.

They fired a first-time manager after 2 years, and just a year after he won manager of the year.

When they went to hire his replacement, a well-respected baseball man with loads of experience, they offered him a one year contract.

Although they were the odds on favorite to win the World Series, they didn't even make the playoffs.

Despite all this, they didn't fire their GM.

If all these things happened to the Marlins, we'd call it exactly what it was: a Mickey Mouse organization.

Are the Marlins awful? Yes. The Nationals, at the current moment, are a more expensive version of awful.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                        Are the Marlins awful? Yes. The Nationals, at the current moment, are a more expensive version of awful.
                        They maybe awful, but there is still a huge difference between the two clubs in terms of awfulness.

Comment

Working...
                        X