Clear All

Bud Black if he doesn't become a manager somewhere too

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
      Bud Black if he doesn't become a manager somewhere too
      don't see him going back to pitching coach

he can sit and wait for a mid year firing or go do ESPN or FS1
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        the best news of the offseason is that we've been shaking up our scouting and development departments
        This can't be said enough. We literally have no position players in the minor who can be legitimate major leaguers within the next year. The front office trades and poor drafts in recent years have left this team's future in a bleak bleak spot. The top tier teams can get away with these things because they have the willingness to spend in the free agency and make people forget their farm is nonexistent. As a team that refuses to spend big in free agency, the Marlins need to look to their farm for cheap help. Unfortunately, the system is in the worst shape I've ever seen it. And now there's word that the team is going to barely increase payroll this season, relying on last year's team with the same injury concerns and the same lack of depth. Without making a real effort in free agency, there is no reason to expect anything other than a below .500 season for the Marlins again.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
          This can't be said enough. We literally have no position players in the minor who can be legitimate major leaguers within the next year. The front office trades and poor drafts in recent years have left this team's future in a bleak bleak spot. The top tier teams can get away with these things because they have the willingness to spend in the free agency and make people forget their farm is nonexistent. As a team that refuses to spend big in free agency, the Marlins need to look to their farm for cheap help. Unfortunately, the system is in the worst shape I've ever seen it. And now there's word that the team is going to barely increase payroll this season, relying on last year's team with the same injury concerns and the same lack of depth. Without making a real effort in free agency, there is no reason to expect anything other than a below .500 season for the Marlins again.
          If the team signs a couple of above average starters, they can certainly finish above .500 and contend for a wildcard spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
            If the team signs a couple of above average starters, they can certainly finish above .500 and contend for a wildcard spot.
            That being the absolute best case scenario.

Comment

Well best-case scenario is that Yelich continues to progress and hit, Stanton plays 150+ and dominates, Jose pitches 30+ and dominates, Ozuna returns to 2014 levels, Gordon pretty much stays the same, Hechavarria's bat continues to develop, Alvarez returns healthy and at 2014-level, they get something good out the combo of Koehler/Cosart/Nicolion/Conley, they sign a free agent pitcher who's good, Bour doesn't completely fall off, and the bullpen doesn't implode.

If all of that happens, they could win 90 games. But that being said, that is everything going right for this club and I don't imagine that happening.

Worst-case scenario is Gordon returns to pre-2014 levels, Ozuna is what he was April to July, Bour collapses, they don't sign anyone/the guy they sign is shit, Jose and Stanton are hurt and ineffective when healthy, Ramos sucks, Capps is on the DL, Justin Nicolino finally gets unlucky, and Ichiro gets 400 PAs again.

Even if all of that happens, you basically get what happened this year, which was shitty but not completely the worst baseball team I've ever seen. I mean, a range of 70-90 wins isn't good per se, but it's not like we're dealing with a Phillies or Braves roster, which they know will suck next year regardless of what happens.

- - - - - - - - - -

In short, a wildcard (or fuck, even the NL East) isn't impossible with the club they have. It's not likely, not without fixing the very real holes they have, but the team is not devoid of talent. And besides, everything has gone wrong for this franchise for over a decade now. Maybe we'll finally get a little luck on our side.

Comment

Yeah, it seems like we always need everything to go right to have a chance at being good, with no room for anything bad (injury, bad performance, etc) happening

Comment

Originally posted by Sr.Imbto
                  Hope never dies on this forum, I love it.
                  I don't remember when I posted that but my hope is pretty much dead.

Comment

Originally posted by milanooco
                    too long.
                    ^ That newer guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X