No announcement yet.

Manager Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Samson is literally sucking Loria's dick. "It's amazing how patient he is."

Oh btw, payroll's staying the same and will once again be the lowest in the league

Comment

Payroll is staying the same even though we're going to be paying arb for all the players who've been making the minimum over the last three years and Stanton is going to make $3.5 million more.

Spoiler:
      We're gonna suck next year.

Comment

Imagine just realizing this.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
          I've known it for awhile. I just try not to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post

I think we all know/knew it, but as fans somewhere inside of us, there's always that bit of hope that maybe they'll he'll spend more, and especially considering the All-Star game here in 2017, I figured that'd have been extra incentive for him to spend to get better players/a better team to look good. But it appears he doesn't even care about that...

Comment

I don't understand what the psychology is here. Doesn't he just not care? Is he stupid? Does he think the team is really good enough as is? Is he really just too pour and can't help it? What the fuck is the thought process here to keep doing the same shit over and over again? Miami clearly isn't a small market, the Dolphins and Heat are all big spenders, and fans in Miami do show up when they actually have a reason to.

Comment

C.R.E.A.M. is the thought process

I've said this before, but the bottom line is: until the playoffs, people don't come see the Marlins even when they're winning. We saw it in 2005. We saw it in 2012.

Loria and Samson are businessmen. Really good businessmen. They've said many times before they see the Marlins as an entertainment option (hence the concerts, cheerleaders, home run feature, etc). They care about maximizing profit.

From this point of view, I understand their motives. Why spend $110 million on a team when the same amount of people will come see them as a $60 million team? There is a breaking point that they've figured out - fans, and MLB and MLBPA, will not tolerate the ridiculously low payrolls of ~$40m. So, they keep it as low as they can without getting in trouble, to make the most profit.
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

That's a logical deduction given how they operate. And it may "work," but I have to wonder when they reach the point of diminishing returns....and by that I mean at what point do fans stop coming altogether? I mean obviously you'll have a certain number of, say tourists or die hard baseball fans that'll go to a game no matter what, but at what point do fans stop caring enough to go.....

I mean this isn't the Cubs that has generations of fans that have always followed the team (not to mention has a promising future since Epstein took over), this is the Marlins that have made questionable move after questionable move......and right when it seems like they're finally starting to get it - finally starting to operate like a real franchise (with moves like locking up Stanton and Yelich) - they revert back to the "Marlins norm" of drifting in the doldrums, seemingly without a clue of what to do (at least baseball-wise).

Who knows, maybe he'll surprise us and spend money, but I'm not hopeful. And it'd be one thing if they were able to put together good teams on low payrolls, like the Rays or Athletics, but they can't even do that.

Comment

I don't think there's a point of diminishing returns as long as the payroll stays above that threashold and everything is done in the guise of winning.

The casual fan doesn't really understand what it takes to have a winning team - see Twitter outrage when Cishek and McGehee were traded, etc.

They'll always sell out the tiny ass parking garages, where they double their money.

The stadium is paid for.

Merchandise sales are split among all MLB teams, so fewer fans doesn't equal less merch sales.

They have a shitty TV deal, and the next deal will be infinitely better no matter what.

The only thing directly impacted by fewer people at the stadium is concession sales, which I can't imagine is so high that it's worth adding millions of dollars to the payroll.

- - - - - - - - - -

wouldn't mind this too much

Add one more names to the Marlins’ managerial hiring mix: Phil Nevin.Nevin interviewed Wednesday for the position.
                    That brings to four the number of known candidates to interview for the job, which became open when Dan Jennings returned to the front office.
                    Manny Acta, Bo Porter and Larry Bowa have also interviewed.
                    Nevin is a former major league player, spending 12 seasons with seven different teams.
                    Nevin has been managing in the minors since 2008, most recently with the Arizona Diamondbacks Triple A affiliate in Reno.
                    The hiring process could extend through the playoffs and World Series as the Marlins await to see if other candidates become available.
                    One name that is often rumored is Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article38279292.html#storylink=cpy
                    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article38279292.html
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Trade DD and hire Tino

Comment

I've basically already given up on next year. I thought we had a good chance this year, but injuries and ineffectiveness really exploited our lack of depth. Our deficiencies are still going to be there even though they are apparent because that's been the case basically every season.

I mean, there's still a chance were good next year. Very good code in place. Couple guys step up and boom. But they (he) won't take the steps necessary to make us true contenders.

Comment

I don't want Mattingly as the Marlins manager....

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                            I don't want Mattingly as the Marlins manager....
                            The only people who do are Dodgers fans.

Comment

I really couldn't care less who the manager is.

That's not a pessimist Marlins are shit post either, managers barely matter.

And even less so with the way this team is run. We had a better winning % under Jennings than Redmond this season and Jennings barely knew what he was doing. Baseball manager is the most overvalued position in sports.

Comment

2012 saw pretty good crowds up until the team completely imploded. (So basically mid-June.) They were drawing 25k for weekday games against the Rockies. That is damn good for this market. Every team in this market has seen an increase in attendance following a really good year or the tail end of a good year. They most definitely support winners.

As for Samson and Loria being "really good businessmen" I will vehemently disagree with that. Most of their financial success is the result of activity they have little control over. Their "success" is dependent on other people negotiating really good national TV contracts and creating multibillion dollar multimedia companies. What they do have control over (the franchise) is riddled with failures, ridicule, and derision throughout the industry. The league had to step in and negotiate the stadium agreement because Samson burned every bridge at the City of Miami and County Hall. The ballpark doesn't have a naming rights sponsor 3 years in, the TV contract they negotiated is a disaster, the Marlins are on a third tier radio station, Marlins Park has yet to take all the events they said they would take from the AAA, Little Havana is still exactly how it looked 3 years ago (My point being other owners have successfully used new ballparks to create additional streams of revenue in getting involved with real estate development. Especially down here where the housing market in the urban core is on overdrive. Don't be surprised if the Beckham group takes advantage of this and redevelops the area around the ballpark by themselves.), the parking garages are half full on most days which likely means the Marlins break even on parking every year, and perhaps most importantly, this team is largely irrelevant in this market and their presence turns people away from caring. So no, I would not say they are really good business men. I would say they have left millions in profits, now and in the future, with their business practices. They only remain in business because the league has revenue sharing.

The team itself is still on welfare despite being in one of the largest markets in the country and 3rd most populous state. They're maximizing profit at the expense of the other units in the league.

They see it as an entertainment option. Ok, so do 29 other owners. I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

- - - - - - - - - -

And this does not even touch how their management of baseball operations has resulted in millions of dollars in losses due to bad contracts and poor roster management.

Comment

Working...
                                X