Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Sweeping" FO Changes: Marlins Bring Back Marc DelPiano to Oversee Player Developmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sweeping" FO Changes: Marlins Bring Back Marc DelPiano to Oversee Player Developmen

Clark Spencer

Dan Jennings will almost certainly not be returning to the Marlins’ dugout as their manager next season, several sources have said. Whether he remains with the team in any capacity is up in the air.

The Marlins, under orders from owner Jeffrey Loria, are making sweeping changes to the team’s baseball operations, from player development and scouting, all the way up to the front office.

Whether any of those changes involve Jennings, who stepped aside as general manager to assume the manager’s job in May after Mike Redmond was fired, remains to be seen.

Sources said the relationship between Jennings and Loria has become increasingly strained over the course of the team’s disappointing season. Jennings could return to the front office, but not necessarily as general manager.

Jennings has also been mentioned as a possible candidate for the Seattle Mariners’ GM vacancy, though the Mariners have not yet asked permission from the Marlins to speak with him.

“Everybody’s on pins and needles,” said one source within the organization.

Internal meetings are scheduled in Miami for later in the week, after the Marlins return from their current road trip, at which point further decisions are expected to be made.

Already, sources said, some members of the player development and scouting staffs are either being reassigned to new roles or let go. Not only have the Marlins failed on the field, but their minor-league teams have also struggled and their farm system is bereft of top talent.

Their four top minor-league teams — from Single A up through Triple A — are either in last place or next-to-last. Only one minor-leaguer, former first-round pick Tyler Kolek, is listed among Baseball America’s Top 50 prospects, and Kolek is struggling at Low A Greensboro (North Carolina).

“It’s pretty bad,” ESPN baseball analyst Keith Law said of the Marlins’ farm system. “The system right now is not going to fill the short-term needs of the major-league club.”

But the immediate focus is on the Marlins and turning around a bitter season underscored by losses and injuries. The Marlins, whom many picked before the season to contend for a wild-card playoff spot, are instead trying to avoid 100 losses and a last-place finish.

Loria is frustrated, sources said, and prepared to make personnel changes within the organization. He has not been showing up at games and was noticeably absent for the annual, end-of-season team photo in Miami last week. His front-row seat in the photo, between Jennings and team president David Samson, was empty.

If Jennings doesn’t move back upstairs to the GM’s chair, one possible candidate to take over in that position is assistant general manager Michael Berger, who has assumed a more prominent role in the day-to-day roster decisions. Berger worked with the Montreal Expos when Loria owned the team.

▪ The Marlins could be returning to Puerto Rico next summer to play two games against the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Marlins have not yet released their 2016 schedule, but sources said a plan is in the works to have the Marlins play in Puerto Rico for the first time since 2010 when they faced the New York Mets.

The Marlins also played the Expos in Puerto Rico in 2003.

▪ Giancarlo Stanton went 0 for 2 with a walk for Single A Jupiter on Tuesday in his first rehab game since going on the disabled list with a broken bone in his left hand. Stanton took himself out after making three plate appearances.

▪ Jarred Cosart (vertigo) had another shaky rehab outing Tuesday when he gave up three runs in four innings for Jupiter. Cosart allowed five hits and a pair of walks.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...#storylink=cpy

Why not start from the very top and get rid of Mike Hill and Jennings? They are just going to bring in more of the same.

The article doesn't say much but it's almost a guarantee that the change in personnel will do nothing to how the team is run.

Comment

Yawn.

Comment

Comment

Sweeping changes = all ticket prices will be higher next year.

It will be interesting to see what Loria will do post-All Star game and he has no leverage for selling his product.

- - - - - - - - - -

Sweeping changes start tonight as Deitrich sits vs a RHP

Comment

Sweeping changes as in 25 Casey McGehee's on the roster?

Comment

He should make sweeping changes to the ownership. Fire himself and his kid

Hearing DJ is dying to get out of his deal and go back to Seattle. One reason he wants to go is he wants to actually sign IFA and draft picks himself. Draft and Sign talent rather than a budget. Sick and tired of having to do what he is told to do. Dusty Baker for 2016

Someone should inform Jeff that if he gets talent his minor league teams would be alot better. Can't wait till we go back to the 25 yr old in Rookie ball and 32 yr old killing AA

Comment

Hire who ever will #BringHanleyHome

Comment

From MLBTR:

Per Frisaro, vice president of player development Marty Scott and vice president of player personnel Craig Weissmann were reassigned yesterday. Meanwhile, vice president of scouting Stan Meek was given an extension through the 2017 season, meaning he’ll continue overseeing the Marlins’ draft for the foreseeable future.

Comment

How the hell does Meek get an extension? They have hit on like 5 players during his decade+ long tenure.
                    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                    Noah Perio
                    Jupiter
                    39 AB
                    15 H
                    0 2B
                    0 3B
                    0 HR
                    0 BB
                    .385/.385/.385

Comment

He sucks Loria's dick.

- - - - - - - - - -

That's just speculation, of course.

Comment

Look, I'm not gonna pretend I defended Kolek a bit during the draft, but both in retrospect and at the time, picking Kolek over Rodon should get an entire scouting department fired on the spot. I don't care if money played the ultimate difference, you just can't make that kind of decision and expect to keep your jobs. Also, I haven't checked but based on just pure recollection I don't think the Marlins have all that great of a history in the 2nd and 3rd rounds outside of the Stanton and Realmuto picks. Conley has made the majors as a 2nd round pick, but he really doesn't have much of a future beyond a long reliever. After that, I can't think of any top contributors from the early rounds in recent years. Sure every team messes up a ton of picks, but the barren status of the farm system, regardless of trading guys like German/Desclafani/Wallach/Heaney/etc..., reflects poorly on scouting (although I blame Jennings/Hill far more).

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                          How the hell does Meek get an extension? They have hit on like 5 players during his decade+ long tenure.
                          Cause he is fine with the Loria way. Save cash and draft High Risk/High Reward guys. At least the Pitchers from OK/KS will know that they will be overdrafted until 2017

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                            Look, I'm not gonna pretend I defended Kolek a bit during the draft, but both in retrospect and at the time, picking Kolek over Rodon should get an entire scouting department fired on the spot. I don't care if money played the ultimate difference, you just can't make that kind of decision and expect to keep your jobs. Also, I haven't checked but based on just pure recollection I don't think the Marlins have all that great of a history in the 2nd and 3rd rounds outside of the Stanton and Realmuto picks. Conley has made the majors as a 2nd round pick, but he really doesn't have much of a future beyond a long reliever. After that, I can't think of any top contributors from the early rounds in recent years. Sure every team messes up a ton of picks, but the barren status of the farm system, regardless of trading guys like German/Desclafani/Wallach/Heaney/etc..., reflects poorly on scouting (although I blame Jennings/Hill far more).
                            JJ belongs in the outside the first round guys. As poorly as it ended, he was one of the 4-5 best young right handers for a 3 year stretch. That counts for something.

Marlins' drafting is poor. Marlins' development is even more concerning because teams usually hit on one two two guys even if they're just depth kind of players. Marlins' roster has, what, four position players who'll start 100+ games, plus Stanton, that were home grown. No bench guys who'll log 100 PA's that are home grown.

That's the problem. It's not exceptionally hard to develop position players, but the Marlins sure make it look that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                              JJ belongs in the outside the first round guys. As poorly as it ended, he was one of the 4-5 best young right handers for a 3 year stretch. That counts for something.

Marlins' drafting is poor. Marlins' development is even more concerning because teams usually hit on one two two guys even if they're just depth kind of players. Marlins' roster has, what, four position players who'll start 100+ games, plus Stanton, that were home grown. No bench guys who'll log 100 PA's that are home grown.

That's the problem. It's not exceptionally hard to develop position players, but the Marlins sure make it look that way.
                              It is execptionally hard when u draft Tom Hickman/Torre Langley/Blake Anderson/Marquise Cooper/Ben Deluzio/Connor Barron/Justin Twine(ALL HS Bats). The issue instead of draft College Bats who might not become stars but be solid ML players they go for the Big Tools and Cross fingers.

Comment

Working...
                              X