Marlins to Move in and Lower Fences for 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doesn't mean anything

I can't remember a time they actually let a manager hire his own staff here. Can you? Maybe one or two guys (usually bench coach)
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I wonder when they'll announce what the fence changes will be? Anyone have any idea?

Comment

They want to make some dumb trades first.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          They want to make some dumb trades first.
          Ah, to use this as a distraction from the bad trades....sounds like something they'd do.

Comment

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | @JoeFrisaro |
            NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Marlins Park is close to having a new look before Opening Day, and the modifications promise to be especially attractive to hitters.

Marlins president David Samson said Tuesday the club is awaiting approval on the necessary permits to begin construction, which could take place as early as next month. Once the paperwork is in order, the fences will be moved in and lowered in certain sections of the outfield.

"We're changing the heights of the fences in different places," Samson said on Tuesday at the Winter Meetings. "It's going to have a very cool look to it."

Currently, the dimensions of the park are 344 feet down the left-field line. From there, it extends to 386 feet in left-center and 418 feet in straightaway center. In right field it is 335 feet down the line, and 392 in right-center.

Along with being one of the deepest parks, the walls also are high, ranging from 11 1/2 to 13 feet.

The revisions will have a change in heights, going from as low as 5 1/2 feet to 11 1/2 feet. Now, left fielder Christian Yelich and right fielder Giancarlo Stanton will be in front of shorter walls.

The area being moved in is in center field, extending to right-center. Down the line, the distances will remain 344 and 335. And the out-of-town scoreboard built into the wall in left-center will not change.

From the base of the home run sculpture in center, a lowered wall will extend to the corner of the right-field bullpen, listed at 392 feet.

The walls will be lowered in left and right fields, as well as straightaway center, which will be around 407 feet, instead of 418.

"The people it will impact the most are Yelich and Stanton on the defensive side," Samson said. "On the offensive side, it remains to be seen."

Marlins Park will open for its fifth season in 2016, and from its inaugural season, hitters complained, mostly privately, that the park played too big. Many felt they weren't rewarded for having an approach to hit the ball up the middle.

"It will be interesting to see what it means psychologically," Samson said. "That's the one thing we can't measure."
            In 2015, the Marlins ranked tied for 28th in home runs at home (53) and last in the Majors in doubles (110).

"There are some players who say, 'When it plays smaller, I feel better about myself,'" Samson said.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
            -Marlins.com

5.5 foot fences?! That's like rightfield in Boston.

Comment

Nieves is definitely getting canned when team ERA is 5.15
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

"In 2015, the Marlins ranked tied for 28th in home runs at home (53) and last in the Majors in doubles (110)."

This is partially a measure of the park, sure. But also, they had the highest GB% in the majors by a pretty significant margin. My biggest question with the Bonds hire is whether their groundball-heavy hitting approach was a product of coaching or roster construction.
                poop

Comment

Originally posted by Party View Post
                  -Marlins.com

5.5 foot fences?! That's like rightfield in Boston.
                  I'm going to guess the 5.5 foot fences would be by the Clevelander? Or would that be over in right field?

Comment

Another article said rightfield.

Comment

So the fence would be literally a foot shorter than Stanton. He could just lean over and grab a ball. Well that will be a big difference from past years, that's for sure.

Comment

Here's a link to an article talking about the new fences:

http://oncloudconine.mlblogs.com/201...ng-brought-in/

There are more pictures and a video with Claude Delorme at the link, but here are a couple of pictures:

Comment

Having the fences so high was a design flaw that I'm glad is being corrected. The possibility of a player robbing a home run should be standard when designing a stadium.

Comment

Fences are done. I saw them during a Mexico-Senegal soccer game on Wednesday. The difference in height is considerable.

Comment

Mom's side of the family from Senegal?

Comment

Here are a few pictures of the new fences I took today at FanFest:

Comment

Working...
                                X