Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Marlins Are the Worst Team in Baseball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[emoji137]

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      Jeffrey Loria has single-handedly made me lose the majority of my interest in baseball. And those of you who have known me for years know how severe that is. The saddest part is that I know I'm not the only one.
      I'm with you.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        This franchise should never pay more than league-mandated minimums for players.

It would be cheaper for The Jeffrey Group to pay whatever fine MLB/MLBPA levies upon them and field a roster full of guys making 600k. Then trade them the second they hit arbitration and get more young guys.

Might as well at this point.

Jeffrey Loria has single-handedly made me lose the majority of my interest in baseball. And those of you who have known me for years know how severe that is. The saddest part is that I know I'm not the only one.
        Oh, I guarantee they're hoping Stanton opts out of his contract so they don't have to pay that extra $200 million.

It seems like he always does juuuust enough to skirt around the payroll issues......just enough to keep MLB off his back, but nothing more.....think of the Josh Johnson extension, or even the Stanton deal.....I mean who knows, maybe he'll surprise us and buy some (top) pitchers and bats this offseason.....but the few times he does spend money, it seems to be a "see, I'm spending" type of deal, rather than a full effort to make the team better through increased budget....

In other words, there's nothing around the "core" expenditure, it's just for show to appear like he's doing something. The best metaphor I can come up with is you have a house, and every so often the owner puts a fresh coat of paint and nice landscaping in, so from the outside it looks nice, but you go inside and there's nothing, the house is just a shell.

I mean, the Stanton and Yelich deals were steps in the right direction, but there's such a history against him, it'll take years of consistent spending/effort to overcome that. Again, we'll see what they do in the offseason (as we say every year), but it seem like more of the same at the moment.

----

On a side note, since we're always talking about offense, or the lack thereof, on the team.....ignoring the fact that penny-pinching Loria is the owner and we aren't likely to spend enough to get him, what do you all feel about someone like Chris Davis of the Orioles at 1B for the fish? I know he'll require a huge contract, but it would certainly bump up the team's power numbers (assuming he's the 2013 and 2015 Chris Davis, not the 2014 version). Or are you all happy with Bour and hope for continued improvement there?

Comment

I think Chris Davis makes a huge amount of sense for this team, because
          a) he's a big time power bat, and you take the lack of contact/strikeouts with it
          b) he's the right age to have a few more prime years before a quick Uggla or Dunn type decline
          c) his eye is pretty good (not quite Dunn but way better than Uggla) so the decline should happen rather gracefully
          d) the K's, the fact that he's in a strong FA class, and his subpar 2014 could mean a decent deal in FA

All this is moot though because he's a Boras guy.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

DD at 1b and sign 2 SP.

If they want to be a real team, yeah sign 2 sp and Davis. Have DD be a super sub off the bench. Would be great.

But we'll sign two more #5's and call it an offseason

Comment

Tim Lincecum is the signing. Get over it.

Comment

So what two starting pitchers do you want? Kazmir and who? (Realistically.)

- - - - - - - - - -

And I am all for signing Davis. He's a left-handed hitter, something Miami needs desperately.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Something like...

Tier 1: Price, Cueto, Greinke
                  Tier 2: Zimmerman, Brett Anderson, Gallardo, Kazmir
                  Tier 3: Leake, Samardzija, Wei-Yin Chen, Lackey, A.J., gamble guys like Fister, Latos, Iwakuma

Gotta sign at least a tier 2 or better and at least a tier 3 or better. Sign a tier 1 and a tier 2, 1B and/or bench, and Stanton and Jose stay healthy, and we win the east.

But we'll sign Tim Lincecum and call it an offseason

- - - - - - - - - -

Jose has less than 50 IP and leads our team in pitcher WAR and it's not even close.

What a disaster

Comment

Fuck Chris Davis.

Comment

If they're going cheap, Ian Kennedy would probably be a good value signing.

And I don't want Chris Davis. At all.

Comment

I don't want Davis either.

Comment

I'll take a Zimmermann and a Samardzija please. Zimmermann is really good almost every start and Samardzija would come at a nicely discounted cost with a move to the National League benefiting him a lot.

That said we'll get Lincecum and find a way to bring back Byung hyun Kim.
                          Last edited by dim; 09-15-2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                            I'll take a Zimmermann and a Samardzija please. Zimmermann is really good almost every start and Samardzija would come at a nicely discounted cost with a move to the National League benefiting him a lot.

That said we'll get Lincecum and find a way to bring back Byung hyun Kim.
                            Don't forget the Casey McGehee extension.

Comment

I read Samardzija as "sandwich" when I first read that...

Comment

I'm worried about Carter Capps. He was supposed to throw on Sunday and go from there, but i'm starting to be afraid that Tommy John is going to be the next step, which would make him out for all of 2016 and be a huge blow for the bullpen.
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X