Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Marlins Are the Worst Team in Baseball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man, fuck defense if no one can hit. i think we sometimes value defense way too highly. a 3b gets what, 3 balls per game on average? i'm kinda skeptical of defensive war in this context because it really doesn't seem to make that big of a difference to me over the course of a season when comparing someone who can't hit for shit versus someone who can mash the fucking ball.

i could be wrong, but i've always been a bit skeptical towards the accuracy of advanced defensive metrics.

i also don't see much value in losing 2-1 instead of 3-1.

Comment

I mean, if he's gonna hit like he's hitting then his defense doesn't really matter.

It doesn't change the fact he sucks at it though.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
        I mean, if he's gonna hit like he's hitting then his defense doesn't really matter.

It doesn't change the fact he sucks at it though.
        So what's your point? That Deitrich isn't good at defense? We know that.

We need people to get on base and slug. This organization has/has had enough defensive wizards who OPS .600.

Comment

Agreed 100%. Bring in the fences and build a team that can pitch and slug its way to October.

Comment

I couldn't care less about the fences. That impacts both teams.

Comment

But you have to worry about outfield defense more than you would in a smaller ballpark.

Comment

there's also a psychological factor to a hitter uncorking a couple balls that would be gone almost everywhere else and watching them be caught at the track in his home park.

for a visiting player it's like heh, this park is big man.

for a home player it's like fuck man, it's hard as shit for me to hit one out here.

Comment

Since Marlins Park Opened:

Marlins Offense
                  Home .249/.314/.368 3.83r/g
                  Away .240/.298/.364 3.44r/g

Marlins Pitching
                  Home .254/.312/.372 4.03r/g
                  Away .263/.330/.410 4.34r/g

- - - - - - - - - -

I mean, every team scores more runs at home than on the road I would assume, but the point is it's not really hurting our offense.

Comment

So my question would be where those splits between home and away reside, relative to the rest of the league. Is it wrong to assume most teams perform better at home?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                    I mean, every team scores more runs at home than on the road I would assume, but the point is it's not really hurting our offense.
                    Your numbers don't really show that. If the difference between the splits are below average relative to the rest of the league, than the park is absolutely hurting our offense

Comment

Since 2012:
                      Marlins Home 3.83r/g Away 3.44r/g +0.39
                      Other NL Home 4.17r/g Away 4.00r/g +0.17

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

The fact our split is so much more drastic than the other teams surprises me though. The only thing I can think of is maybe they're changing their offensive approach to suit Marlins Park and it's hurting them in the other parks?

I don't really think they've built lineups that are more suited for Marlins Park.

Comment

My guess is that Marlins Park sucks for hitters who hit home runs.
                            For the Marlins, this is irrelevant because they've constantly built teams with no power. The exception is Stanton who can hit a ball out in any park.

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense.

Of course, power's also the most expensive thing to get and keep, so that's probably not gonna change and we'll be eliminating an advantage.

- - - - - - - - - -

I mean from a pure standpoint of "fuck you, I like home runs" I want them to move the fences. I'm just not sure it's the most beneficial thing overall.

Comment

I actually hope they don't move them. It's just going to make the pitching staff look as disastrous as the lineup. I think we'd have the worst pitching in baseball if not for the dimensions of the park. The defense behind them helps too because the team defense might be the only thing that's not bad. With the exception of Jose, this pitching staff is horrendous though.

Comment

Working...
                                X