No announcement yet.

August 2015 MLB Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what led to my comment about Correa two posts ago.

http://deadspin.com/carlos-correa-di...ium=socialflow

Comment

Hey guys, Hanley's OPS is 100 points lower than Deitrich's.

#Don'tBringHanleyBack

Comment

Still 50 points higher than our production from 3B this season doe.

And it was home, not back.

And you can't put apostrophes in hashtags.

Comment

K.

How's Hanley's contract looking right now.

#BetterThemThanUs

#'

Comment

We would have just traded it with Latos anyway.

Comment

Even with the Mets beat down on Monday night, 12 teams have a worse home run differential than the Marlins.

Comment

Derek Jeter had a career .350 BABIP

lol

Comment

4 points lower than Yelich's career so far

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    Derek Jeter had a career .350 BABIP

lol
                    doesn't mean he was lucky over 20 seasons. BABIP is a skill set. The idea behind BABIP isn't that it will always be .300, it's that on average it's around .300, but some may have a skill set suited in the .330-.350 range and others may be below .300. I believe the idea is that it takes ~900 ABs for BABIP to stabilize and for that to be around the "true" BABIP for that player.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I wasn't implying he was lucky for 20 seasons straight. More implying that it makes sense with his golden boy image.

I mean, I think it's a little weird that Jeter will be a 1st ballot HOF'r but Kenny Lofton will likely never get in.

You could say I'm obsessed with how beloved Jeter is.

:-)

Comment

Jeter was absolutely incredibly overrated.

He's also absolutely a first ballot HOFer.

His being a first ballot guy has nothing to do with his being overrated and nothing to do with other people not getting in.
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

You sound a little mad.

I think the statement "It's weird that Derek Jeter is going to be a 1st ballot HOF'r while Kenny Lofton will never get in." can be said with a straight face and not draw too much heat.

- - - - - - - - - -

#2ndPageOfAugustMLB2015Discussion

YES

Comment

To have a .350 BABIP and maintain that for two decades, that means you obviously did something right during a long career. Yes, I don't like it that people treated Jeter like he was Babe Ruth either, and he was a defensive liability at SS for about 10 seasons, and an offensive liability for a few as well, but let's not pretend that he wasn't an excellent player that is deserving of most of the praise he's given.

As for why he'll be first ballot and Kenny Lofton will never get in--I don't think you can sit here and pretend that Lofton was the same caliber of player, right? Maybe the divide in my own mind is only based in that media talked Jeter up so much due to the four titles and being the face of NYC sports for two decades. I don't know Kenny Lofton's numbers off the top of my head so I'd like to see their splits compared to see how they stack up. But it's no surprise to me that Jeter is a first ballot hall-of-famer and I think he deserves that. It's also no surprise that Kenny Lofton isn't one.

Comment

Derek Jeter, 20 seasons: .310/.377/.440 71.8bWAR
                              10 year peak (98-07): .323/.393/.472 49.9bWAR

Kenny Lofton, 17 seasons: .299/.372/.423 68.2bWAR
                              10 year peak (93-02): .301/.378/.433 49.9bWAR

Jeter more accolades, much better in the postseason. Jeter is definitely a first ballot Hall of Famer, there's more to him than his stats. He's one of the most famous players of all-time.

But Kenny Lofton should probably be in too. And he got 3% of the vote in 2013.

The fact Jeter has more Gold Gloves than Lofton (5 to 4) is absolutely hilarious. Lofton needed his defense (he was great) to be more widely recognized in order to get in. If he was thought of as one of the elite defenders of his era, which he was at his peak, he'd definitely be in. We was an elite defender from 92-99 and then dropped off to solid with a couple bad years sprinkled in.

- - - - - - - - - -

I also saw Kenny play a lot during his peak (Indians on tv here, pre-MLB.tv days). I hated the Indians, but loved him, so maybe I'm biased.

- - - - - - - - - -

Kenny hit .283/.344/.370 and was a 2.6 WAR player in his final year, at 40 years old.

Comment

oh there's no doubt Kenny Lofton should be in but will never sniff a vet ballot

but again, that doesn't mean Jeter shouldn't be a first ballot guy

the statement "It's weird that Derek Jeter is going to be a 1st ballot HOF'r while Kenny Lofton will never get in." is problematic because it suggests something is weird about Jeter being a first ballot guy, which isn't the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X