No announcement yet.

Marlins trade Mat Latos, Mike Morse to LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except they could have traded Latos without tying the Morse anchor to him.

Comment

Don't forget SF is on LA heels,some talk is LA got him so SF couldn't. The deal is NOT actually complete yet still working on $ and prospects

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
        Except they could have traded Latos without tying the Morse anchor to him.
        Also, at some point you have to act like a real major-league franchise and focus on getting talent back.

Also, "They'll have more money to spend!" is a lot less enticing when every single player they've signed over the last four seasons has pretty much been dumped for nothing within a calendar year.
        poop

Comment

@JoeFrisaro: Moving Morse/Latos money definitely helps cause for #Marlins to keep Prado, who remains a long shot to be dealt.

LOLWUT

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlins3 View Post
            Can't really be that mad at it. Latos and Morse weren't long term answers. If they get anything worth a damn for them it's an ok deal. The competitive balance pick is annoying obviously. But they pretty much had to trade these guys. If saving $8 mil from Morse next year helps bring in a pitcher in FA (which is wishful thinking) then it's a decent deal.
            I don't agree with this. Latos is probably one of the most cost effective arms available and plenty of teams could use a 3/4 like him for the stretch run. Morse's contract isn't that bad in the cash rich MLB. $8.5 seems like a lot but it's been established he can be a middle of the lineup bat. Maybe those days are gone but he's a great righty option off the bench and a spot starter.

The Marlins using one trade chip to get out of a not so bad contract is just so Marlins. Have to either rebuild or build through FA. The team is doing neither.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              Eh, pretty much every projection system thought they were a high-70's/low-80's win team, and they sold every relevant prospect or young player to get there + didn't actually invest money into the team.

We were duped.
              Well, if they had added Shields, and everything went right, they could have been in a position to contend.

Obviously didn't happen, but longterm deals with Stanton and Yelich, what looks like a smart move with Gordon, and getting some useful vets in Latos, Haren, and Prado, was good on paper. Can't fault them here, besides not getting another big SP which was the obvious missing piece (or trading Cishek before he blew up).

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, "They'll have more money to spend!" is a lot less enticing when every single player they've signed over the last four seasons has pretty much been dumped for nothing within a calendar year.
              But if they suck, are not contending, and can trade them for younger assets, it's then the right idea to move them.

I mean, trading Cishek, Haren, Latos, and Morse are no brainers right now. Prado and Ramos if they can get overwhelmed. Ozuna if really, really, over whelmed.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this, as long as they net good trade assets or use this saved money to do something. Big ifs, but can't fault these moves. This is not impacting short term and helps long term.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                Well, if they had added Shields, and everything went right, they could have been in a position to contend.

Obviously didn't happen, but longterm deals with Stanton and Yelich, what looks like a smart move with Gordon, and getting some useful vets in Latos, Haren, and Prado, was good on paper. Can't fault them here, besides not getting another big SP which was the obvious missing piece (or trading Cishek before he blew up).

- - - - - - - - - -
                The Gordon trade is hurting them a lot right now IMO and will in the future too.

Comment

The fact that they just traded another draft pick (thus lowering their investment in the draft) should be a pretty good sign that things aren't going to change. They'll re-invest this money, sure. But it's still going to be the lowest payroll in baseball next season, and they have no minor-league system to speak of -- because they keep skimping on the draft and taking less prospect value back in trade/giving up more than they have to in order to get other teams to take on salary.
                  poop

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                    The Gordon trade is hurting them a lot right now IMO and will in the future too.
                    How?

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                      How?
                      The teams biggest issue is still depth. Dee Gordon helps at second base, but losing Barnes, Hatcher, Heaney, and Kike hurts the teams depth now and in the future.

Comment

The teams biggest issue is still depth. Dee Gordon helps at second base, but losing Barnes, Hatcher, Heaney, and Kike hurts the teams depth now and in the future.
                        The only really notable name you mentioned there is Heaney. Yeah, this FO has done a lot of silly things, but the Gordon trade was not one of them.

Comment

The fact that they just traded another draft pick (thus lowering their investment in the draft) should be a pretty good sign that things aren't going to change. They'll re-invest this money, sure. But it's still going to be the lowest payroll in baseball next season, and they have no minor-league system to speak of -- because they keep skimping on the draft and taking less prospect value back in trade/giving up more than they have to in order to get other teams to take on salary.
                          Let's be real here, Morris is probably better than the comp pick. Getting a solid middle reliever is worth that pick historically.

Cosart looks like crap, but so do Moran and Marisnick. All of that sucks. I'd still probably take Cosart of that lot however.

Pending with what they get from LAD to know if including the pick was a good deal.

I don't want to go out and defend Loria because it is obvious I am not a fan of the clowns, but I'm not masking this seasons disappointment with what they need to do right now. That is simply, trade out all the guys who are not around longterm, get young assets, and reinvest the cash. They are clearly doing 1 and 2, and I'm just optimistic they do # 3 also.

I don't think Loria will turn his back on handing out a $325 million deal, and impending have to deal with resigning Fernandez. He's going to fill a team around them. Especially when he is 2 years away from the all star game where he is going to want to be the center of the show. We'll see what they do in free agency, but I'm cautiously optimistic they are doing these moves and clearing payroll so they can acquire a good SP next year. Maybe not Cueto, but still a good one.

We'll see

- - - - - - - - - -

Let's be real here, Morris is probably better than the comp pick. Getting a solid middle reliever is worth that pick historically.

Cosart looks like crap, but so do Moran and Marisnick. All of that sucks. I'd still probably take Cosart of that lot however.

Pending with what they get from LAD to know if including the pick was a good deal.

I don't want to go out and defend Loria because it is obvious I am not a fan of the clowns, but I'm not masking this seasons disappointment with what they need to do right now. That is simply, trade out all the guys who are not around longterm, get young assets, and reinvest the cash. They are clearly doing 1 and 2, and I'm just optimistic they do # 3 also.

I don't think Loria will turn his back on handing out a $325 million deal, and impending have to deal with resigning Fernandez. He's going to fill a team around them. Especially when he is 2 years away from the all star game where he is going to want to be the center of the show. We'll see what they do in free agency, but I'm cautiously optimistic they are doing these moves and clearing payroll so they can acquire a good SP next year. Maybe not Cueto, but still a good one.

We'll see

Comment

Yeah, it's way more difficult to find bench players than it is to find all-star second basemen.

Comment

The draft pick thing sucks BUT u guys realize that if u pick in the Top 3 your draft pool is already above 10 million? While the extra pick is nice and useful to most of the teams,with us it is not. U think if we had the pick this year we would have taken Daz Cameron and signed him? HELL NO. We would have taken some guy for 1 million

As for the Dee Gordon trade it was pretty good for us. Other than Heaney,none of the other guys would have gotten any play. Rojas and Kike are a wash/Capps has replaced Hatcher and Austin Barnes would be in AAA

Comment

Morris was great value for the comp pick. I've been banging that drum for a long time now.

Comment

Working...
                                X