Marlins trade Mat Latos, Mike Morse to LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
    I don't think the Cabrera/Willis deal was an example of this. It was just part of a firesale pretty much, but they got legitimate prospects back in that deal.

And I get your point, but the reality is that this is somewhat overblown right now. I mean, the Dee Gordon is not killing us at all. You could make a case that we got the best player in that deal.

And being mad about this particular deal is just being mad for the sake of being mad.

What's actually worse is when they do spend money because all the free agents they've spent money on have turned out to be colossal failures. They're so bad at it that I'm kinda hoping they don't spend money anymore. That's been the real problem with this team aside from being cheap.

I agree, this is overblown. Shedding morse is great.

I think you nailed the issue - when they do spend they suck. Let's hope they figure it out next time.

Comment

• Seriously why even take these guys back? And call this exactly what it was not a trade but a straight up salary dump.

Comment

• Well, being cheap reduces the margin for error. If you're only going to spend $60 million, you better hit on every move and hope that everyone of your previous players continues their level of success or you are going to suck. That's it. When your only free agent moves are guys like Garret Jones, Michael Morse, Jarrod Saltalamacchia or, shudders, Casey McGehee, you're lucky if even one of them pans out to be what you hope for them to be. And to be successful, you need all four of them to at least contribute. You could honestly look at that list and say that those four players are near the bottom of the barrel in terms of worst players in the MLB over the last two years, and you wouldn't have anyone argue with you. If you are a team that wants to spend money, not only do you increase the talent you can bring in, but if a move doesn't pan out, it doesn't cripple you.

And just to address Dee Gordon, he's not the problem with that trade. It's that you could've acquired him for less but had to give up more so you could get his and Dan Haren's salary covered. That oh so crippling $12 million for those two players. It's a joke.

- - - - - - - - - -

It's like people have said. You can't look at a trade in a vacuum. Yes, this deal on its face is not terrible because the return was going to be pretty shitty anyway. The reason you trade is to get out from under the salary in a lost season. The problem is that it seems to continue a troubling trend that Marlins fans have put up with for too long and one that shows no sign of ending. You're naive if you think that something will change in this off-season or any other.

Comment

• Brightside at least these guys arent 25 in A Ball

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2015/ALL
          http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2015/ALL

Comment

• Better than the Nolasco trade, at least, since these guys are young.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
              Would the Marlins receive any prospect from anyone worth more than $14 million dollars for those guys?

If the answer is no (which it is), it's hard to make an argument this is not a smart move for the team. You don't just eat $10+ million because you can get a marginally better prospect. That is bad management. You take the cash and do something else with it. YES I KNOW all of you are skeptical of that, but none of us know if they are going to use that to buy a free agent SP. If they do that, this is a good move. We have to wait and see. I don't see them not spending with that contract to Stanton, but that's me.

I also feel there is this disconnect going on where Latos was supposed to bring this A level prospect. He was never going to do that. Look at what he was traded for at a higher value - DeScalfani!

Have to wait for the big picture on this one. If they pocket it, we are all going to agree without debate.

lou used to be so smart, i remember the days. You can't be serious anymore right??? Wait for the big picture?? Please tell me you are just messing with us or at least maybe you are David Samson or another family member working for Loria? "wait and see" "smart move" and "wait for big picture" are three terms the Marlins do not get to use. They are BY FAR the worst run team in all of the 4 major sports.

Comment

• They don't use advance stats and they don't spend money. You need to do at least one of those things to be competitive nowadays and you need to do both if you're gonna win.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                  You're naive if you think that something will change in this off-season or any other.
                  The most important lesson to take away from this whole thread.

It's a culture of losing, boys.

Comment

• Please can someone get Loria to say something racist?

Comment

Well, being cheap reduces the margin for error. If you're only going to spend $60 million, you better hit on every move and hope that everyone of your previous players continues their level of success or you are going to suck. That's it. When your only free agent moves are guys like Garret Jones, Michael Morse, Jarrod Saltalamacchia or, shudders, Casey McGehee, you're lucky if even one of them pans out to be what you hope for them to be. And to be successful, you need all four of them to at least contribute. You could honestly look at that list and say that those four players are near the bottom of the barrel in terms of worst players in the MLB over the last two years, and you wouldn't have anyone argue with you. If you are a team that wants to spend money, not only do you increase the talent you can bring in, but if a move doesn't pan out, it doesn't cripple you.

And just to address Dee Gordon, he's not the problem with that trade. It's that you could've acquired him for less but had to give up more so you could get his and Dan Haren's salary covered. That oh so crippling $12 million for those two players. It's a joke.
                      Considering the money they've paid some of the free agents, you expect better production. You shouldn't have to pay a large amount of money for a free agent to get production out of them. Even the ones they did spend big on that offseason did not work. The best thing they actually did was the Toronto trade because it would be even worse now had they kept those players with those salaries.

The Marlins have been terrible in free agency. I actually think that this is a bigger problem than being cheap because it shows that they're seeking the wrong players. You can spend as much money as you want, but if you spend it terribly, you're still going to suck. The people Loria surrounds himself with might be a bigger problem than Loria, himself.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                      They don't use advance stats and they don't spend money. You need to do at least one of those things to be competitive nowadays and you need to do both if you're gonna win.
                      Yes, exactly.

Comment

• die.PNG

I hate this fucking team.

Comment

• Won't Araujo be a free agent after the season?

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]171[/ATTACH]

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...nals-ba/nm8wH/

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
                              lou used to be so smart, i remember the days. You can't be serious anymore right??? Wait for the big picture?? Please tell me you are just messing with us or at least maybe you are David Samson or another family member working for Loria? "wait and see" "smart move" and "wait for big picture" are three terms the Marlins do not get to use. They are BY FAR the worst run team in all of the 4 major sports.
                              I don't think some marginally better prospects the Marlins would receive from these guys are worth $14 million in dead salary. I'd rather get shlubs and the cash and respend on a good MLB player

I think Erick nailed it, when they do spend - bell, buck, salty, morse, etc - it often blows up in their face. The right move was to wash themselves clean of that signing and not DFA him like Salty, which they did. It's hard to fault that.

If they pocket the money, this will be horrendous because the whole advantage of this trade was to get money. But that hasn't happened yet. And at least for me, I don't see them pocketing this when they just gave out a $325 million contract.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]171[/ATTACH]

I don't even want a major league team in Miami anymore, F it. Would rather we had a nice double A team down here where can go with the same amount of fans and drink cheap beer and enjoy a baseball game. Seriously..i hate the Marlins and everything they represent so so much. Does San Antonio still want us???

Comment

Working...
                                X