Marlins trade Mat Latos, Mike Morse to LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
    That we're going to get nothing for him too because he sucks. And people are gonna be mad Loria didn't get a good prospect for him.

I get that he's no longer the sub 4 FIP guy he once was but his ERA has to look sexy to some contender desperate for SP depth.

How can we get NOTHING for him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      I get that he's no longer the sub 4 FIP guy he once was but his ERA has to look sexy to some contender desperate for SP depth.

How can we get NOTHING for him?
      -He's a rental
      -He's 34
      -He might retire after the year
      -He throws 86 mph
      -His ERA has been greatly helped by Marlins Park

Of the contending teams, I would guess he's a fit for maybe a couple of teams willing to not spend much to acquire him. He's not even a second-tier guy in this market. Any team that plays in a hitter's park wouldn't want him since he gives up HR's like it's his job.

Teams don't care much for ERA anymore. There are countless other metrics to prove that Dan Haren isn't very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
        Teams don't care much for ERA anymore.
        The Marlins do.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
          The Marlins do.
          Well, yeah. But the Marlins don't count.

Comment

• MAybe we'll finally know who the minor league pitchers are when I wake up tomorrow. Good night!

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              MAybe we'll finally know who the minor league pitchers are when I wake up tomorrow. Good night!
              Jeff Brigham, Victor Araujo, Kevin Guzman

Comment

• Jeff Brigham, Victor Araujo, Kevin Guzman

Comment

• "Erick" wins

Comment

• For people saying that is trade is worse for the Braves, fine. You're missing the point. The Marlins have spent the better part of 12 years now just making move after move to shed salary without getting anything in return, or at the very least hurting their potential return. This move is inconsequential and wouldn't of netted much in the first place, but this isn't the first time this has happened. Why do you think the Marlins have traded with the Dodgers time after time after time? Hanley Ramirez in 2012 probably could've got more than just Nathan Eovaldi, but the Marlins wanted to get all $34 million off their book. Ricky Nolasco could've got more in 2013, but they wanted to get the, good god, less than $6 million left off the books. And we've beaten to death the Heaney, Hatcher, Hernandez and Barnes trade for Dee and Dan Haren.

And that's just with the Dodgers! The trade in 2012 with Toronto was good, sure, but they still they packaged all of the players together to dump the salary. They did the same thing with Cabrera and Willis in 2007. You don't think they could've avoided the mass trades and did something that wasn't strictly financially motivated? Go back and look at nearly every damn trade this team has made since 2005 and you will find some financial motivation, whether its buying, selling, or just minor moves. It's sickening, especially when there clearly is enough money to try and have a real and competitive MLB team in this market. We've been putting up with this shit for too long and I hate to say it, and I understand it's dramatic, but unless Jeffrey Loria has a change of heart, sells, or dies that shit will never change.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                    Jeff Brigham, Victor Araujo, Kevin Guzman
                    Who the hell are these bums?

Comment

• Should have just took future considerations or money. Not worth even taking any of the player back.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                        I mean I look at this way. We dealt Latos and Morse, gave up a comp pick, and the best player we're most likely getting back is this Brigham guy, in which I think most people would agree is a lesser prospect than we would get with that comp pick. All in the name of saving money, there in lies the problem.

Would the Marlins receive any prospect from anyone worth more than $14 million dollars for those guys?

If the answer is no (which it is), it's hard to make an argument this is not a smart move for the team. You don't just eat $10+ million because you can get a marginally better prospect. That is bad management. You take the cash and do something else with it. YES I KNOW all of you are skeptical of that, but none of us know if they are going to use that to buy a free agent SP. If they do that, this is a good move. We have to wait and see. I don't see them not spending with that contract to Stanton, but that's me.

I also feel there is this disconnect going on where Latos was supposed to bring this A level prospect. He was never going to do that. Look at what he was traded for at a higher value - DeScalfani!

Have to wait for the big picture on this one. If they pocket it, we are all going to agree without debate.

Comment

• but Brigham is a dodgers top 30 prospect!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                            For people saying that is trade is worse for the Braves, fine. You're missing the point. The Marlins have spent the better part of 12 years now just making move after move to shed salary without getting anything in return, or at the very least hurting their potential return. This move is inconsequential and wouldn't of netted much in the first place, but this isn't the first time this has happened. Why do you think the Marlins have traded with the Dodgers time after time after time? Hanley Ramirez in 2012 probably could've got more than just Nathan Eovaldi, but the Marlins wanted to get all $34 million off their book. Ricky Nolasco could've got more in 2013, but they wanted to get the, good god, less than $6 million left off the books. And we've beaten to death the Heaney, Hatcher, Hernandez and Barnes trade for Dee and Dan Haren.

And that's just with the Dodgers! The trade in 2012 with Toronto was good, sure, but they still they packaged all of the players together to dump the salary. They did the same thing with Cabrera and Willis in 2007. You don't think they could've avoided the mass trades and did something that wasn't strictly financially motivated? Go back and look at nearly every damn trade this team has made since 2005 and you will find some financial motivation, whether its buying, selling, or just minor moves. It's sickening, especially when there clearly is enough money to try and have a real and competitive MLB team in this market. We've been putting up with this shit for too long and I hate to say it, and I understand it's dramatic, but unless Jeffrey Loria has a change of heart, sells, or dies that shit will never change.
                            I don't think the Cabrera/Willis deal was an example of this. It was just part of a firesale pretty much, but they got legitimate prospects back in that deal.

And I get your point, but the reality is that this is somewhat overblown right now. I mean, the Dee Gordon is not killing us at all. You could make a case that we got the best player in that deal.

And being mad about this particular deal is just being mad for the sake of being mad.

What's actually worse is when they do spend money because all the free agents they've spent money on have turned out to be colossal failures. They're so bad at it that I'm kinda hoping they don't spend money anymore. That's been the real problem with this team aside from being cheap.

Comment

• Wanna just take a moment to thank Michael Morse for being one of the worst Marlins in the history of the franchise.

Go fuck yourself, big guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                Wanna just take a moment to thank Michael Morse for being one of the worst Marlins in the history of the franchise.

Go fuck yourself, big guy!
                                This.

Comment

Working...
                                X