No announcement yet.

Marlins trade Mat Latos, Mike Morse to LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Send them to Montreal just for the poetic ending of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
      I don't even want a major league team in Miami anymore, F it. Would rather we had a nice double A team down here where can go with the same amount of fans and drink cheap beer and enjoy a baseball game. Seriously..i hate the Marlins and everything they represent so so much. Does San Antonio still want us???
      I would rather have a baseball team in Miami.

Comment

• If it wasn't so fucking hot I would actually agree with Godfather about the minor league team.

The Marlins luck boxed a World Series 12 years ago. It's been pure pain ever since.

Comment

• What sane player is going to want to sign with the Marlins now. Everyone they sign is gone one year after signing plus there seems to be a new manager every year too. So it will be hard to spend the money for any decent player because they won't come to Miami.

Comment

• They'll come to Miami. It's Miami after all. They'll just do it in the offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
              If it wasn't so fucking hot I would actually agree with Godfather about the minor league team.

The Marlins luck boxed a World Series 12 years ago. It's been pure pain ever since.
              I actually prefer to be outside during a game compared to the arena feel of our current stadium.

Comment

• How nice would it be to be able to send some cash in deals and get real prospects instead of putting it back in your back and getting crap. Philly gets Jake Thompson by taking Matt Harrison(help offset the Hamels cash owed)

Comment

I actually prefer to be outside during a game compared to the arena feel of our current stadium.

The heat index is like 103 degrees.

95% of humans don't want to watch baseball when the heat index is 100+

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
                    What sane player is going to want to sign with the Marlins now. Everyone they sign is gone one year after signing plus there seems to be a new manager every year too. So it will be hard to spend the money for any decent player because they won't come to Miami.
                    If players had a brain, they would see that most of the recent one and done guys have left because they've been absolute garbage. This is brought up every time the Marlins make a trade, yet new players sign here every offseason just like they sign with other teams.

What the Marlins just did in terms of trading rentals when the team is losing/trading failed players is something every MLB franchise does. And I don't think that major league players care when a franchise trades compensation picks.

If Saltalamacchia, Morse, etc. hadn't all been absolute failures, they would probably still be here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                    How nice would it be to be able to send some cash in deals and get real prospects instead of putting it back in your back and getting crap. Philly gets Jake Thompson by taking Matt Harrison(help offset the Hamels cash owed)
                    Yeah, I wish we were more like Philly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                      I would rather have a baseball team in Miami.
                      Used to be all I cared about with regards to baseball in Miami, getting a stadium built so I would know baseball would be in Miami forever, but at this point the product and ownership is just so bush league would rather just have the actual bush league instead of just pretending these trolls care. I don't even want Loria/Samson to ever win anything (luckily i don't even think they can luck themselves into winning again), can't stand them. It's not just this trade; I could really care less about it, it's just everything they do is so god damned bad. I honestly feel you can take the 5 top posters from here and they can do a better job of running the team then anyone in charge there. They truly don't care. It sucks. We are wasting two amazing players away.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        I don't think some marginally better prospects the Marlins would receive from these guys are worth $14 million in dead salary. I'd rather get shlubs and the cash and respend on a good MLB player

I think Erick nailed it, when they do spend - bell, buck, salty, morse, etc - it often blows up in their face. The right move was to wash themselves clean of that signing and not DFA him like Salty, which they did. It's hard to fault that.

If they pocket the money, this will be horrendous because the whole advantage of this trade was to get money. But that hasn't happened yet. And at least for me, I don't see them pocketing this when they just gave out a $325 million contract.
                        You do realize this is the third different trade that featured them giving up more in talent in order to get more money covered since the end of last season, right? You realize they had the lowest payroll in baseball this season, despite spending something like $130 million less on payroll than the average MLB team over the previous two seasons, right?

There's zero reason to be optimistic about them re-investing the money. If it happens, cool. But you have to completely blind yourself to both the very recent and not-so-distance past of this ownership group to believe they will serious re-invest the money. In a vacuum, this deal is imminently defensible, and the points you are making make sense. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

They'll still have the lowest payroll in baseball next season, they'll continue to make dumb decisions, and they'll continue to do everything possible not to spend money in every facet of the game. That's the status quo. That is what everything they've done over the last decade-plus points to. This trade does nothing to make me believe that status quo has changed or will change.
                        poop

Comment

Used to be all I cared about with regards to baseball in Miami, getting a stadium built so I would know baseball would be in Miami forever, but at this point the product and ownership is just so bush league would rather just have the actual bush league instead of just pretending these trolls care. I don't even want Loria/Samson to ever win anything (luckily i don't even think they can luck themselves into winning again), can't stand them. It's not just this trade; I could really care less about it, it's just everything they do is so god damned bad. I honestly feel you can take the 5 top posters from here and they can do a better job of running the team then anyone in charge there. They truly don't care. It sucks. We are wasting two amazing players away.
                          Sadly, I actually agree with you on that.

Comment

• I think the part that pisses me off is I really enjoy following prospects, I like having a good farm system and watching talented players develop...we are so god damn bad we have probably the worst farm system in baseball. We don't even care about that. I don't care, don't spend money but AT LEAST try to get a bunch of really good young CHEAP players...that's fun. Nothing fun about this team.

Comment

• Why not be more like Philly? They're going through a losing period, just like we did in 2013, but that followed five straight NL East titles (in case you haven't noticed, we're 0-for-23 on that one), two NL titles, a World Series win, and down seasons that they were at least competitive. They spent money to keep their own players in place and they added players via trades and free agency. Not to mention, regardless of how many games they lose this season and next, they'll use their top draft picks smartly and then actually rebuild through trades, drafting, and free agency. There is no doubt that Philadelphia, much like Houston has done this season, will be back and not stuck in limbo for as long as we have been.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                                You do realize this is the third different trade that featured them giving up more in talent in order to get more money covered since the end of last season, right? You realize they had the lowest payroll in baseball this season, despite spending something like $130 million less on payroll than the average MLB team over the previous two seasons, right?

There's zero reason to be optimistic about them re-investing the money. If it happens, cool. But you have to completely blind yourself to both the very recent and not-so-distance past of this ownership group to believe they will serious re-invest the money. In a vacuum, this deal is imminently defensible, and the points you are making make sense. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

They'll still have the lowest payroll in baseball next season, they'll continue to make dumb decisions, and they'll continue to do everything possible not to spend money in every facet of the game. That's the status quo. That is what everything they've done over the last decade-plus points to. This trade does nothing to make me believe that status quo has changed or will change.
                                The sad thing is that there's a legit core in place to build a competitive team. Like, they don't even have to spend a ton of money.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post

The sad thing is that there's a legit core in place to build a competitive team. Like, they don't even have to spend a ton of money.

Comment

Working...
                                X