Ozuna Optioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay View Post
    That'd be too smart. I think it's more likely they trade low on him.
    I don't think they have any intention to move him. I don't think this is purely salary motivated because he could use a month in AAA with the way he is playing, but this is going to have a big side effect on payroll. It's not just saving $2.5 next year, it's then shedding bucks on each subsequent arbitration year.

They really need to trade everyone with a salary (Haren, Latos, Prado, Cishek, Ichiro, Baker, Dunn, if possible Morse) and acquire a young 3B and more pitching. Trading those guys would save $14-17 on 2015 payroll, and $15 ($23 with morse) on 2016 payroll. Throw in trading Ramos on a sell high, and Ozuna not getting arbitration, they have "generated" around $35 million (more of Morse is able to be moved) off 2015 and future 2016 projected payroll. Obviously, none of those guys traded radically impact short or long term assuming a young 3B and more relievers are aquired through those trades.

Talk about having some payroll to throw at a veteran ace in free agency. Now that would be too smart.

Comment

Ozuna geting optioned is his own fault but doubtful they would deal him. More likely he spend few weeks gets his swing back and is back up

Gordon u pretty much have to keep,while he has cooled down he still is solid at 2B and a great leadoff man. Hech is well Hech,he will be here especially if he keeps hitting

As for Ramos,if a team overpays I would deal him in a second and make Capps the closer. If not u gotta keep him around

- - - - - - - - - -

I just hope they decide sooner rather than later. The FO has an issue with not deciding until 2 days before the deadline which is way to late to talk trades. Talk now and see the market

Comment

Look at us.

Talking (again) about who we have to sell. Why we need to be looking toward 2016. Like we needed to look toward 2015 back in 2014 and look toward 2014 back in 2013.........

I'm not saying we shouldn't sell pieces. But what a bunch of sad fans rooting for a sad organization we are.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
          If they keep him down 30-40 days he will likely miss the Super 2 deadline and save them at least $2.5 million next year.
          This was my first thought. There's no where near as good of an option as him. It's an excuse to save on money IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            I'm not saying we shouldn't sell pieces. But what a bunch of sad fans rooting for a sad organization we are.
            Have you not notice what team we are fans of? This is the Marlins. With the recent success of the Pirates and the Clippers, I think its safe to say that we are the lowliest organization in all of professional sports.

Comment

I think you guys are giving the FO too much credit with Ozuna bring salary motivated

Comment

Ozuna has an ops around .520 the last month. I dunno, I think they can replace that in the lineup.

Morse, Yelich and Ichiro will be the OF. In some combination.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                  Ozuna has an ops around .520 the last month. I dunno, I think they can replace that in the lineup.

Suzuki has a .449 OPS since June 1st. The outfield situation sucks.

Comment

don't forget Cole Gillespie
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                      lol, awesome

remember when we had, allegedly, the best OF in baseball?

Comment

lol, awesome

remember when we had, allegedly, the best OF in baseball?
                        I mean, I still do believe we have one of the best outfield talent wise in baseball. Yelich has refound his stroke and I don't get whats wrong with Ozuna.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                          I just read in the Herald Ozuna and Ichiro are 1-61 last 61 AB.

I'm not even mad, I'm impressed they haven't even lucked into some hits.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            I just read in the Herald Ozuna and Ichiro are 1-61 last 61 AB.

I'm not even mad, I'm impressed they haven't even lucked into some hits.
                            And I'm impressed people still read newspapers, even if it is online

- - - - - - - - - -

The weird thing with Ozuna is his K rate is actually down and his walk rate is stagnant this season. His BABIP doesn't suggest that he's been unlucky. The big difference is his IFFB% is way up, his GB% is up, and his FB% is down.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=10324&position=OF#battedball

To me those are the most telling stats. He's going opposite field more, BABIP is fair, K rate is down, walk rate the same, but he's hitting weak shots and ground balls at a much higher clip. His power has been completely sapped. Stinks of an undisclosed injury to me.
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

And if you want to pinpoint a reason as to why this season has been so rough, it's that Yelich and Ozuna have not repeated on their performances from 2014. Pundits who picked the Marlins for a playoff appearance were banking on them improving from 2014, metric projections that had the team finishing at around .500 had Yelich and Ozuna repeating or regressing slightly. The fact is, they have not even been close to their level of production from last season. Only recently has Yelich returned to the level of play that we are accustomed to seeing but Ozuna looks completely lost. Couple that with every acquisition in the offseason being more or less a failure (Gordon aside, although he has been replacement level for the past month or so), you lose.

Comment

I feel like nny here because I've watched 3 games since Jennings was hired, and I'm just looking at the stats, but on paper it doesn't seem like Ozuna is lost. He's swinging at roughly the same number of pitches. His out of the strike zone swing percentage is up 1% over last year which is pretty negligible, but his out of the strike zone contact rate is up 4%. He's making contact in general more than last year. Looking lost generally doesn't equate to making more contact. He's basically been the same hitter he was last year except his power is absolutely gone. He's hitting balls on the ground more and when he hits fly balls they aren't making it out of the infield.

I think he's got an injury of some kind. Maybe it's the ankle from last year. Right ankle acting up would definitely prevent him from being able to drive the ball.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also I'm not sure how you can put Haren and Latos in the failure category. Latos has underwhelmed but failure is harsh, and Haren has been downright good.

Comment

Working...
                                X