Ozuna Optioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    Last year's qualifying offer was $15.3 million. Could be a bit higher this year. I can't see them offering him 1/$15. They could offer him something like 2/$25 and hope he jumps on it but it's more likely he walks for nothing.
    I think it's more likely they trade him in 2 weeks to a contender. Especially if he dumps on 1-2 more excellent starts and can sell that to a contender the problem was all knee oriented. But I agree, hard to see them paying that much for a season, and I don't think a 28 year old Latos signs a 2-3 year deal. He'll sign for 1 to rebuild value, or get a market 4 year deal.

Fernandez, Alvarez, Phelps, Koehler, and Cosart/Urena/Nicolino/Hand is more than enough to finish the year. Hell, trade Koehler also while the era is still 3.5.

I'm optimistic Haren, Latos, Cishek, Koehler, and Baker can turn into a young 3B and more RP. Hopefully they move them, keep Prado and Ramos (unless overwhelmed), and sign a # 2 SP next year. Team would look great and likely be around $90 million.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
    So offer it to him now and trade him if he says no
    Pretty risky right? He's looked good for 5 starts, but April/May was obviously terrible.

Also, if I was Latos agent, I'd tell him to not sign. Injured SP coming off bad years still get $6-8 million in free agency. He's not risking much playing the year out, and only has a ton to gain if he ends the season being his normal dominant self.

Comment

I mean it's risky, but I feel pretty comfortable with the fact it was his knee. I mean, we knew it was a problem and let him pitch through it. Because we're dumb.

- - - - - - - - - -

I agree with you in that he wouldn't accept it anyway.

Comment

The team needs to work on it's cloning department. Merge Dietrich and Rojas and you have a left-handed power hitting 3rd baseman with amazing defense.

Seriously, though, if we did a lefty-righty platoon of Dietrich and Rojas, how close do we think they would be to matching Prado's production?

Comment

I mean it's risky, but I feel pretty comfortable with the fact it was his knee. I mean, we knew it was a problem and let him pitch through it. Because we're dumb.

- - - - - - - - - -

I agree with you in that he wouldn't accept it anyway.
          He probably wouldn't, with the wild card being that he's from south Florida and has already been with 3 organizations despite being so young. And he had a publicly bad experience with one of the organizations. He may not care to see what else is out there.

I don't have faith in the Marlins to trade him though, I think they'll think they can get him for 8-10 million because of a hometown discount and poor start, and when he says no they'll let him walk.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

If the Astros whiff on Cueto, trade Latos to Houston for JD Davis. Look at his stats (granted, it is the Cal league, but still.)
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

With Latos it is more about wooing his wife then it is him. He will sign wherever she wants to go. He will probably get same amount from any team

The Astros shouldn't whiff on anyone they want. Philly would have loved to traded Hamels there but HE said NO. Houston has young guys at every position and at every level. They could even overpay if needed. Houston has made some nice deals especially fleecing us for Cosart. Cosart for Marisnick,Moran,Cameron and Martes(Who looks better than Tyler Kolek) Asses are gonna hurt awhile on that deal even tho Marisnick and Moran are not that special

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                With Latos it is more about wooing his wife then it is him. He will sign wherever she wants to go. He will probably get same amount from any team
                I'm not even gonna ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                  If the Astros whiff on Cueto, trade Latos to Houston for JD Davis. Look at his stats (granted, it is the Cal league, but still.)
                  Those are really not impressive stats for a 22 year old in the CAL league

- - - - - - - - - -

Yeah. The fastball is back and he had good peripheral stats before his DL stint.

I would take him on 1/15

Comment

People acted like I was crazy for suggesting keeping Latos next year just a few weeks ago. He's clearly not the player they need to focus on moving before the deadline as long as they intend to sign or make a qualifying offer.

Comment

To be fair, I've been pro-Latos all season and I think it's still really only me and you that's for it.

Comment

I just can't get on the Latos bandwagon. His BB/K ratio looks good still but when you watch him pitch his stuff is just not as good as it was back in Cinci. This team desperately needs a #3 starter behind Fernandez/Alvarez next year once Haren is traded, so I wouldn't hate keeping Latos. But I don't see how I can advocate giving eight figures to a guy who is likely to be coming off a 4+ ERA season. I just really haven't liked most of what I've seen from Latos this year, and it's really disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                          I just can't get on the Latos bandwagon. His BB/K ratio looks good still but when you watch him pitch his stuff is just not as good as it was back in Cinci. This team desperately needs a #3 starter behind Fernandez/Alvarez next year once Haren is traded, so I wouldn't hate keeping Latos. But I don't see how I can advocate giving eight figures to a guy who is likely to be coming off a 4+ ERA season. I just really haven't liked most of what I've seen from Latos this year, and it's really disappointing.
                          Actually, his stuff looks just fine since he's come off the DL.
                          The reason why I don't care to have him back is because I'm pretty sure he's going to get a 3 or 4 year deal in free agency. Although, to be fair, it might be the best option for this team considering their penny-pinching ways. Either way, I think I'd rather give young guys a chance/sign lower tier SP's with upside than spend on a "#3" even if he is more proven.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                            To be fair, I've been pro-Latos all season and I think it's still really only me and you that's for it.
                            I've been less vocal, but I've been mostly okay with Latos. But I'd still prefer trading him at the deadline and revisting a reunion in the off season.

Comment

My problem with trading him and then trying to sign him has to do with the fact that players, generally, like stability. Shipping him off and then trying to sign him again shows that you would not give him much stability, and players often re-sign with the club they are currently with for stability.

I don't personally know Latos to know his thought process on that, but that's my worry of trade and reunion.

Comment

Not saying it's common, but didn't that exact situation happen with Jason Hammel last year with the Cubs....he was with them and traded to Oakland and then redesigned with the Cubs last offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X