• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 33 | Ryley MacEachern | RHP | Stony Brook

Discuss

SIGNED- We love our Stony Brook Guys

Comment

After signing his first professional contract, Saugus’ Ryley MacEachern was looking forward to a possible trip home.
      Lowell’s LeLacheur Park is a familiar place. But MacEachern’s Batavia (N.Y.) Muckdogs did not visit the home of the Spinners, their Single-A New York-Penn League opponents, during his first summer as a pro. He acknowledged some disappointment, but he is shooting for more opportunities for family and friends to see him play locally in the future.
      “I was really excited when I found out I was going to the Penn League,” said MacEachern, 21. “I played in Lowell in high school and college, and to play pro ball there in the same year would just be something cool. But it’s all right. Hopefully, down the road, they can come see me in a MLB uniform.”
      MacEachern’s summer began pretty typically for a collegian in the Northeast. The right-hander was pitching for the Cape Cod League’s Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox, but things changed after he was selected by the Miami Marlins in the 33rd round of the MLB draft.
      There wasn’t much time between receiving an offer, putting ink on paper, and debuting as a Muckdog. He called it an “insane” week.
      “They made an offer around July 12. They offered me the money, plus five semesters of school, so I just thought that was the best thing for me and my family,” MacEachern said. “On July 14, I called and said I was going to do it. July 15, I went home. July 16, I flew to Florida. And July 17, I signed.”
      As a sophomore, MacEachern made 13 appearances for Stoney Brook University on Long Island in New York last spring. He went 2-2 with a 5.83 ERA, and the 6-foot-2-inch, 213-pound righthander struck out 31 in 41 2/3 innings pitched.
      He was getting used to a summer lifestyle that is every college baseball player’s dream -- playing in the Cape League -- when the Marlins made the call.
      Turning pro was not as easy a decision as you might think.
      “There were a lot of things that went into it,” MacEachern said. “When this all went down, I was having such a great time and we had such a great team. … (The Cape League) was a tough thing to leave, especially since I was there for a month and a half.”
      This wasn’t MacEachern’s first go-round with the draft. He was selected by the Philadelphia Phillies in 2013, just after graduating from the Salisbury School -- a private school in Connecticut -- and while pitching for the Futures Collegiate Baseball League’s North Shore Navigators at Lynn’s Fraser Field.
      “Out of high school, I would say it was easier because I was young. It was an accomplishment for myself and I kind of knew I wasn't going,” he said. “I knew I was negotiating the contract and trying to put myself in the best position, so it was a little more stressful. A lot of things helped me -- like how to talk to teams, telling them exactly what I want.”
      MacEachern, went 2-0 with a save and a 2.86 ERA in 11 appearances for the Muckdogs this past summer. He struck out 27 and walked eight in 22 innings. One of his highlights came on Aug. 12 when he struck out six Spinners over three innings.
      It was a long and winding road this season, but he’s happy with the way it went.
      “There were some ups and downs, but out of college, Cape Cod, and Batavia -- the three seasons I had this year -- I think this was my best one,” MacEachern said. “I felt comfortable and got a lot of work done with the coaches.”
      http://www.itemlive.com/sports/saugu...43978f6d8.html
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
      X