X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 9 | Reilly Hovis | RHP | UNC | SIGNED

Discuss

MLB.com

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound righty out of the University of North Carolina is coming off Tommy John surgery in April. The injury limited him to just three innings over two appearances this season, but he was stellar as a sophomore in 2014. Hovis went 9-1 with six saves and a 2.25 ERA in 64 innings over 34 appearances, striking out 81 batters and walking only 24 while holding opponents to a .194 average. He ranked fourth nationally and first in the ACC with 11.39 strikeouts per nine innings; only TCU's Brandon Finnegan, now with the Royals, ranked higher among major college pitchers.

Round 9 | Reilly Hovis | RHP | UNC

Discuss

- - - - - - - - - -

6'3 195

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67565098/v141471683

- - - - - - - - - -

just had TJ surgery. Gotta figure that he doesn't sign unless he gets big money thrown at him which could be why other signability picks were taken

- - - - - - - - - -

Update: Comments from Coach Mike Fox

On finding out Hovis would need surgery:
    "Well it stinks for him, that’s first and foremost. You don’t want any player to have to go through that. But we haven’t had Reilly pretty much all year. He pitched in the Seton Hall series and the UCLA series.

And we’ve just been going careful with him, and trying to figure out what was wrong, you know just be prudent in how we were treating him, his injury, and try to get him back.

"And as it turned out was more serious than we thought. So it’s unfortunate for him, but Reilly is one that really really wants to come back and I think those are the type who do the rehab and get back."

On when the injury happened:
    "I think that’s probably the $64,000 question with Tommy John. He threw 64 innings for us last year … So who knows?"

On Hovis' injury specifically:
    "It’s the ulnar collateral ligament. It’s basically that ligament in your elbow that is either strained or it tears. And I don’t know all the specifics, but I think Reilly’s had what Dr. Andrews described as just a slit in it. And it was impossible to detect."

North Carolina junior right-handed reliever Reilly Hovis underwent Tommy John surgery Tuesday morning and will miss the remainder of the 2015 season, according to a GoHeels.com release Wednesday. Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery.

Hovis only appeared in two games this season and was dealing with a right forearm strain for most of the season. In just three innings, the junior allowed five hits, six runs and three walks before being sidelined in February.

Last season, Hovis was the team's best relief pitcher, appearing in 34 games and tossing 64 innings while finishing with a 2.25 ERA. He racked up 81 strikeouts — second on the team behind Trent Thornton's 83 — while walking just 24 batters and leading UNC with nine wins.

The Gastonia, N.C., native was expected to lead a strong Tar Heel bullpen this season, but the team struggled early in relief with his absence, relying primarily on senior Trevor Kelley and moving Thornton back into the bullpen, as well.

Coach Mike Fox talked about the importance of other pitchers stepping up in Hovis' absence after the Tar Heels narrowly defeated VCU 6-5 on March 4.

"Our pitching’s gotta get better," Fox said after the game. "When Reilly Hovis goes out, we’ve gotta have some other guys step up."
    http://www.dailytarheel.com/blog/press_box/2015/04/reilly-hovis-out-for-2015-season-after-undergoing-tommy-john-surgery
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Great Pick IF we can sign him
      Last edited by tjfla; 06-09-2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

http://www.gastongazette.com/2015061...lins/306109967

Comment

SIGNED-60 Day DL Batavia Roster

Nice Signing here! I wouldnt mind if we did this every year. Take a TJ arm that fell and sign cheap

Comment

Working...
          X