No announcement yet.

5/21 - 5/27 Minor League Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all seriousness, they probably had them hold Nicolino out last night because they were deciding what to do and wanted more time to make a decision. Precautionary measure.

Looks like it's going to be Urena and either Flores or Rienzo. Urena is supposed to start tomorrow, so we'll get an answer on him. Flores next scheduled start isn't until Wednesday (fully rested Tue, but they don't play), so we won't get any early tip off that way.

Comment

Seems like every other game KJ Woods draws at least one walk. Gotta love his plate discipline.

Zack Cox is actually having his best season in years. Probably needs to get back to AAA and see if he can ever post a .900 OPS if he wants a chance at the majors at this rate. Really nice to see him stepping it up this year, and he's likely our second best in house option after Dietrcih if the team ever gives up on Martin Prado within the next two years. Could've been really easy to get discouraged after all these years in the minors so it's really nice to see him improving his game.

Nick Wittgren is pretty clearly MLB ready. It's more of a question of when he gets called up rather than if.

Same can be said about Nicolino and his really impressive 2.15 ERA in the hitter friendly PCL. Given the current state of our rotation it's only a matter of days before we see him get a major league start. Interesting to see how his success translates to the majors given his lack of striking people out, propensity to give up ground balls, and his overall unwillingness to allow runners on base via walk. The fact he's given up so many hits throughout his minor league career and gotten away with it is obviously reason to be concerned, but him and Urena are literally the best we get on this system so we have to hope and pray it turns out for the best.

- - - - - - - - - -

It's amazing how quickly Flores went from being on basically nobody's radar to potentially starting a major league game. I really hope this isn't rushing him and potentially ruining his development, but it'll be interesting to see what his stuff looks like at the major league level.

Comment

Part of why I got excited about him when we got him is he's always been one of those guys where his report doesn't match his ranking. Like he'd be in the teens in the org prospect ranking and then you read the report and he sounds great.

That's one of the flaws in prospect rankings, people see what they want to see. A highly rated guy does what he did in the Cal League and they'll point out how ridiculous that league is and the numbers are better than they look.

I'm not saying this kid is great and we are geniuses, because who knows. But he seemed better than he was being ranked when we got him and so far he's backing that up. The fact he's currently ranked #11 in our system is a joke. It was a joke before the season and it's more obvious now.

Who knows if he's ready or not (seems fast, but we love to challenge the talent we really like), it'll be interesting.

Comment

4.10 FIP for Nicolino and under 5 K's a game. I'm interested to see what he does in the majors, but he's not been encouraging this season.

Comment

I think the organization rushes too many prospects. Flores might become the most recent example. If they wanted to challenge him, they can promote him to AAA.

I'm interested to see what Nicolino does in the majors but if his FIP continues the trend it has through the minors it'll be ~4.5

Comment

It's crazy how rushed some prospects are but how slow they are with others. Mostly seems like a hs vs college thing (rush the young guy, be slow with the older guy) which is hilariously backwards.

Though to be fair, I can only think of two guys rushed who didn't work out (rvh and kensing). Most have done well - Willis, Jose, Cabs, Anibal, De Aza when he finally got healthy.

There's probably more on both ends though of guys called up with limited to no AA time that I can't think of atm because we do call them up pretty often.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with rushing a prospect. I do see something wrong with taking a guy who's basically right out of A ball and saying congratulations you're in the majors.

I mean they're going backwards with some guys like Cox. The way they manage the minors might be even more of a circus than the way they manage the major league roster.

Comment

Mathis is rehabbing with New Orleans today.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Urena didn't start. Former first round pick Travis Blackley was signed to help out the AAA rotation. Spent 2014 in Japan.

Comment

So Urena will be one of the two starters.
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Well we think. They skipped Nicolino's start just to start him the next day.

Comment

5/24

AAA New Orleans: L, 10-3

Sizemore: 0-3, R, 2 BB, 2 K
                          Rottino: 1-3, 2 R, HR (4), 2 RBI, BB, 2 K
                          Dietrich: 2-4, 2 2B
                          Wates: 1-3, K
                          Blackley: L, 5 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 2 HRA
                          Urckfitz: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
                          Dayton: .1 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 HRA

AA Jacksonville: W, 2-0

K.Wilson: 1-3, R, BB, SB
                          C.Lopez: 1-4
                          Nola: 1-4, R, RBI
                          Rieger: 0-4, RBI
                          Cox: 0-1, 2 BB
                          Dayleg: 1-2, BB
                          T.Williams: W, 6.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K
                          L.Batista: 1 IP, 1 BB
                          Donatello: SV, 1 IP, 1 K

A+ Jupiter: W, 4-0 (Game One)

Y.Perez: 1-4, R, RBI
                          Romero: 1-4, R
                          Anderson: 2-3, R
                          Barber: 1-3, 2B
                          Cordova: 1-2, 2B, K
                          Townsley: W, 6 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 2 K
                          Lazo: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K

A+ Jupiter: W, 13-7 (Game Two)

Y.Perez: 2-5, R
                          Romero: 3-5, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB
                          Dean: 1-5, 4 R, HR (2), 3 RBI, SB
                          F.Munoz: 1-4, R, HR (2), 2 RBI, BB, K
                          Anderson: 2-4, 2 R, HR (4), 2 RBI, BB, K
                          Barber: 2-5, R, RBI, K, CS
                          Hoo: 1-5, RBI, K
                          J.Garcia: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
                          Milroy: W, 3.1 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
                          J.Martinez: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 K, 1 HRA

A Greensboro: L, 8-2

R.Cabrera: 2-4, BB, SB
                          M.Davis: 1-3, R, BB
                          A.Smith: 2-4, 2B, RBI
                          Woods: 1-4, 2 K
                          Twine: 1-4, 2B
                          Schales: 0-4, RBI, K
                          Mader: L, 4.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
                          Squier: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 ER
                          Fischer: 1 IP, 2 K

Comment

So any particular reason for Garcia only pitching 2 innings? He's been really good this year. Would suck to see him suffer a real injury.

Comment

Box score says 1:31 rain delay and Daytona replaced their starter with 2 outs in the top of 3rd inning, so I'm gonna guess that's when it happened.

Comment

That game was suspended they day before and continued today. Also Williams wasn't a complete disaster which is a start.

Comment

Working...
                                X