No announcement yet.

Leader of Men Leads Marlins to Another Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest issue with Jennings is something much more relevant. I do not like the way he manages the bullpen. In particular, he's had two double switches and I haven't understood them at all. Someone should tell him that he doesn't have to make a double switch every time he goes out to the mound. The one today wasn't as bad as the one the other night, but they've both made little sense. The one the other night was laughable.

Comment

NNY hit the nail on the head. I believe Yelich will go on a tear any day now. I want him to do that at the top of the order rather than in front of Morse, Realmuto and Hech.
      It's also less about hitting Ozuna 2nd and more about hitting Prado 4th when you've got both Ozuna and Bour in the lineup. It never makes sense to have Prado hitting 4th. Keep the top 3 of the order as is shift Bour to 4th and move Prado to 5th and Yelich to 6th and the lineup actually makes sense.
      I think he's made 3 double switches now. He thinks his guys can throw two innings and wants to be able to do that. He also trusts his bench to perform. It's a good sign that he trusts his players to perform considering he put this team together.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
        I think he's made 3 double switches now. He thinks his guys can throw two innings and wants to be able to do that. He also trusts his bench to perform. It's a good sign that he trusts his players to perform considering he put this team together.
        It's terrible managing.

Edit: It also has a much greater impact on the game than whatever lineup he puts out there.

Comment

jay

meet me in the chat thread

Comment

What makes no sense in todays double switch is he brought in Baker instead of Morse. Yes Morse has been struggling and looks awful but you can assume you're facing a right handed pitcher in the upcoming at bat. Baker has a .637 career OPS against right handers. Morse may have a .600 against them this season but he at least provides upside.

Comment

Morse hasn't started 8 games this year, in those 8 games he hasn't started he's only had 1 PH appearance. That's the only time he's entered a game he hasn't started. That seems like a trend to me, and I can't really explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                It's terrible managing.

Edit: It also has a much greater impact on the game than whatever lineup he puts out there.
                I'm not saying it isn't terrible managing and it doesn't have a greater impact on the game than the batting order (assuming you mean this cause the lineup could include two Solanos, Morse and no Stanton and Dee) but it's a good sign that he trusts his guys to get shit done. This is exactly why people want an experienced manager and in this situation they needed one if they expect to compete this year.

Comment

yeah someone else mentioned that in the game thread too. might have been you, nick, both times. it's baffling. and it's not just in situations of trying to save a big bopper for guys being on base. we've sent solano out there to drive in guys off the bench.

does morse have some horrible pinch hitting track record or something? even if he does, worth a try over solano anything and baker against rhp.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm not saying it isn't terrible managing and it doesn't have a greater impact on the game than the batting order (assuming you mean this cause the lineup could include two Solanos, Morse and no Stanton and Dee) but it's a good sign that he trusts his guys to get shit done. This is exactly why people want an experienced manager and in this situation they needed one if they expect to compete this year.
                  my preference would be for my manager not to trust guys who can't get shit done to get shit done

Comment

I prefer managers who don't trust their guys when the guys are the Solano's or Baker against RHP.

I also prefer managers who don't take Marcell Ozuna out in a double switch. Especially when the move is made to have Mike Dunn pitch another inning so he can face the likes of Trumbo and Goldschmidt the next inning.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      Morse hasn't started 8 games this year, in those 8 games he hasn't started he's only had 1 PH appearance. That's the only time he's entered a game he hasn't started. That seems like a trend to me, and I can't really explain it.
                      And that was an extra innings game and without Ozuna so a short bench. IIRC, he was the only bench bat left to be used. It's crazy.

Comment

Morse has a .771 OPS as a pinch hitter (70 PA).

I'm not saying you're wrong madman but seeing how he assembled this team, him having faith in guys who we think suck is a good sign. This is exactly why I like seeing him as manager because it shows more of how he thinks in why he's acquiring player. I don't agree with it but it's more reason to hate the FO.

Comment

It's bad enough that this team doesn't believe in platooning hitters. Now we have to watch them not play matchups with relievers either and leave them out to dry for 2 innings each time.

Comment

I've also given up on contending in 2015 already.

Comment

I don't remember exactly how he said it, but the other night DJ was saying how "Dunner" could get it done vs lefties and righties. I'll try and find the clip.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I hate the logic that a reliever can only be used for 1 inning.

Comment

Working...
                                X